Author Topic: Boots for a Cowboy?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline icemaster109

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Boots for a Cowboy?
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:57:34 PM »
Can someone point me in the direction of some decent boots that would fit a a late 1870s-early 1880s cowboy? That wouldnt break that bank? I have been looking everywhere but I'm unsure what would be most accurate and likewise affordable?

Thanks

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Boots for a Cowboy?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:26:26 AM »
Take a look at those sold by 'The Fort' - in Lincoln, Nebraska.

1-877-907-3678 X199 - ask for Terry or Glen.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:56:37 AM »

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:28:48 PM »

Offline icemaster109

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 08:18:07 AM »
Well I was looking at The Fort and saw these http://www.fortwestern.com/store/product.php?productid=412293&cat=216&page=1 , they look pretty nice, however would it be to out of period correctness to have the black vibram soles?

As for the civil war boots, me and my friends are fairly young. I don't know if wearing civil war boots would fit our character's per se.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 08:32:54 AM »
A 'true', lugged Black Vibram sole wouldn't be invented for about a century past your stated timeframe, but these boots present well and are comfortable, and can get you started.

The 'Mule Ear' straps can be cut off or tucked into the boot-top - depending upon your time frame.

The longer straps were more common during the earlier trail-driving period.

Civil War-issued footwear would've been quite commonly seen after the War - especially since so many young men served and were mustered out with them - less so, after Time had worn them out.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:59:32 AM »
Can someone point me in the direction of some decent boots that would fit a a late 1870s-early 1880s cowboy? That wouldnt break that bank? I have been looking everywhere but I'm unsure what would be most accurate and likewise affordable?

Thanks

Take a look at Tonto Rim:   http://www.tontorim.com/

They have a sale on Oak Tree boots right now.  I got an email from them indicating 25% off.  You may have to call in the order to get the discount.  I've worn Oak Tree boots for 4 years at CAS matches.  They are comfortable and period correct.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 04:27:42 PM »
I am with St George on this one.  Call Glen at the Fort he will help you.  A poor fitting boot is miserable even for 6 hrs at the local range.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 12:51:22 PM »
Yep, Delmonico or Terry are the guys to talk to. They run the Old West dept. at the Fort. They are very knowledgeable on Cowboy clothes, especially Boots and Hats.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Wild Billy Potts

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »
Civil War era issue footwear had a life expectancy of 30-90 days on active campaign. Bootees were issued quite frequently even to cavalry, and many mounted troops can be seen in imagery with the short lace up bootees as opposed to the pull on boots.

Shoes (low quarter)and bootees (high quarter) were more than likely worn far more than pull on boots in the American west. The lighter shoes and bootees were more practical to most people especially if they spent any time walking.

It's been a while, but at one time these guys were highly sought after in authentic circles. http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com