Author Topic: Cody Conagher Smokewagon NCOWS Legal?  (Read 8210 times)

Offline icemaster109

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cody Conagher Smokewagon NCOWS Legal?
« on: January 16, 2011, 03:40:10 PM »
I was interested in getting one of the Cody's Taylor Smoke Wagon Deluxe pistols (.357 mag, 5.5 barrel). I however don't know if this pistol would be NCOWS legal?

Link: http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/

Thanks for the help

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Cody Conagher Smokewagon NCOWS Legal?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:59:32 PM »
This is probably in Trap's lane.  From outward appearances it is OK.  I have heard about short stroke kits for pistols, so if it has one it is not legal.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Cole Bluesteele

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 06:54:59 PM »
According to the Taylor's website.  The Smoke Wagon has a low profile hammer not found on the Colt SAA.  It's another one of the low hammered pistols designed for SASS.  Because of that, I'd say it doesn't meet our standards. However, Trap can give you the final word.

Cole

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:54:48 PM »

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:42:30 PM »
This topic went around a couple of years ago:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,16379.0.html

I've had trouble finding an actual picture of the "low profile hammer" they describe.  I've seen a standard Smokewagon and it looks just like every other Uberti SAA clone out there.  I've not seen or handled one of the "deluxe" models.  There's not a picture of this hammer on Taylor site or on Conagher's web site either.

If somebody owns one of the Smokewagon Deluxe guns, I'd be nice if they could post a picture of it.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Texas John Ringo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 05:53:11 AM »
Taylor's has a "Running Iron" Single Action that is not listed or shown on their Website. Correction---Under New Products there is a picture of the Runnin' Iron & description.
 It has a Lowered/Wide Hammer(Like a Super Blackhawk} and a Wide Trigger.
All the Smoke Wagons, Deluxe or otherwise, I have seen look just like all the Uberti SA's, and I have seen quite a few. Don't know where the lowered hammer comes from in their ad's.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 06:09:45 AM »
I was interested in getting one of the Cody's Taylor Smoke Wagon Deluxe pistols (.357 mag, 5.5 barrel). I however don't know if this pistol would be NCOWS legal?

Link: http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/

Thanks for the help

I shoot one occasionally.  I know of one other posse member that shoots one.  The smoothed up ones by Cody are slick as butter.  When they first came out I believe the consensus was they were NCOWS legal.  I agree with Texas JR, that they look just like the other ones offered by Uberti with a few tweaks thrown in.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 281
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:21:05 AM »
I have a pair of Taylor's Deluxe Smoke Wagons in .38 Special. I was reluctant to buy one of these due to the "low profile hammer" feature. I bought one to try out and liked it so much I bought another. Attached are pictures of one of mine next to my USFA .45 SAA. As Deadeye Don mentioned in a previous post, the hammer seems to be lower than other SAAs where it rests against the frame. As with the USFA, you need to bring the hammer to full cock to see the rear sight.  In my humble opinion they both appear to be very close in size and appearance.

I shot Working Cowboy with my Smoke Wagon at the 2010 NCOWS Nationals. For the 2011 NCOWS Nationals I'll be able shoot in the Elders Class and will need to shoot two pistols. I'm thinking of shooting my USFA along with a Smoke Wagon in .45 Colt. I've shot the Smoke Wagons stock right out of the box and they have helped to improve my shooting. They are very smooth and have become one of my favorite pistols to shoot.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Cole Bluesteele

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:09:36 AM »
Looking at Johnny's photos, I have to agree with Ringo.  "I don't know where they came up with the lowered hammer"  It don't look like a lowered hammer to me.  I'd say Johnny's pistol(s) would be legal.

Offline icemaster109

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
Well I emailed Don (aka Cody Conagher) and according to him the Smokewagon Deluxe is NCOWS legal.

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »
  This specific revolver has not been selected out to be ruled on. If it is a match of other NCOWS legal revolvers it would be accepted. If it has individual differences you might want to propose it be ruled on by the Congress with the recommendation of the Auth. Comm.           
                                           jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com