Clarification on Marlin 45-70 Cowboy

Started by rockin double b, January 14, 2011, 09:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockin double b

Good Morning,
I want to get back into cowboy shooting (schedule now allows it) and want to do some of the buffalo/long range shooting.  I am looking at a Marlin 45-70 Cowboy model.  After reading the NCOWS rules back and forth and 'searching' this site it appears that this model is O.K. for NCOWS.  However, in those searches I have also read:
1.  That the Marlin round bolt was either frowned upon or not allowed (but is standard equip on the Cowboy model).
2.  That recoil pads are not permissible.

I'm looking at a used gun with a Marbles tang mounted peep sight and  a rubber recoil pad but not sure if the pad is original because on the Marlin site it shows them without a recoil pad.  Anyway, the pad is not an issue it can be changed  out, but is the 'Cowboy' model O.K.?

Thank you for your advice.

P.S. Don't worry, I already have 45-70's in an original Springfield trapdoor and an Uberti Hi-wall - its just that I love this Marlin and I have that disease so prevalent among all shooters - you know the one.......

Trap

Marlin lever guns with Round bolts are NOT NCOWS legal !
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com