Grip Modification AKA Birds Head

Started by Chase, December 02, 2010, 09:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chase

Okay,
Humor me on my logic here.  I am contemplating making a Cimmaron Arms Model P into a carry gun via chopping the barrel
to 3.5 inches, removing the ejector housing and modifiying, yes, the grip into a "birdshead" style.

I am well aware that Colt did not make the Peacemaker in this configuration, and I have always scoffed at the modern guns out there that have this design.  Until the other day when I saw an original 1860 Colt Army that was modified in a birdshead design.  Looks like
the grip was reshaped.  The book dubbed this snub nosed gun as a "Natchez Special".  My thinking is that IF they were modifying blackpowder revolvers this way pre-1873, could it not be possible that someone did the same thing with a Peacemaker? 

Does anyone out there have any evidence that this modification had been done  pre 1899?  I know that it wasn't commonly
done, just wanting to see if it was just done once.
Chase
NCOWS
NRA
VisionQuest '87 PA to FL via covered wagon
"If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?"--John Wayne

Tascosa Joe

The Colt factory produced 2 about 1880 with the grip frame from the Model 1878 double action.  So the short answer is yes some were built.  I have seen several that were modified in the 1950's to this configuration but ..... because they were one off type weapons they are not NCOWS legal.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Yuma Kid

Chase,
Yes it was done.  As Tascosa points out, there were at least two that were custom made.  In fact, if memory serves, they were on the cover of the Shootist 7 or 8 years ago.
Yuma
Keep Yer Powder Dry!

NCOWS #L129,  G.A.F. # 767, SASS #31302, NRA Life Endowment, Lancaster County Bounty Collection Agentcy #29

Books OToole

Quote from: Yuma Kid on December 03, 2010, 12:10:35 PM
Chase,
Yes it was done.  As Tascosa points out, there were at least two that were custom made.  In fact, if memory serves, they were on the cover of the Shootist 7 or 8 years ago.
Yuma

If I remember correctly; they were ordered by a man named Crapo.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Tascosa Joe

I dont remember the name (Crapo) but one of the 2 was on the "Shootist" Cover and a copy of the Colt letter was in the article in the interior of the magazine.  I have all but one or 2 Shootist since 1994 around here somewhere, i will try to find it.  At the time we were having a large conversation in the Letters to the Editor about birdshead grips on Colt Single Actions.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Tascosa Joe on December 03, 2010, 09:46:18 PM
I dont remember the name (Crapo)...

Who could forget a name like that!!  ;D

Is NCOWS still utilizing the ''common usage'' clause?

River City John

No, that was amended this year.

7-2. No modern (post 1899) firearms will be allowed unless they are authentic reproductions of traditional firearms or very markedly resemble traditional firearms. Traditional firearms are defined as those manufactured prior to or during the era 1865-1899 and in documented use on the North American Frontier within that time period. Center-fire calibers may substitute for original rim-fire calibers in reproduction firearms. Reproduction firearms chambered in calibers not utilized in original models shall be allowed as long as such calibers are original to the period or are otherwise approved by the National Congress of Old West Shootists. (Amended March, 2010)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Fox Creek Kid

Chase

Thanks all for your input.  I think I have the solution.  Buy a grip for the piece to reshape the grip ala the 1860 Army for carry and then put the old one back on for the shoots.  That is IF I ever get to one.  Oh, Books, the guy's name was Beano not Crapo.  Just want to keep things historically correct. 
Chase
NCOWS
NRA

Jeremiah

Chase,

What book did you see that picture of the modified 1860 in?

Thanks

Chase

jcummons:

The book I saw the modified 1860 is  COLT SINGLE ACTIONS, From Patersons to Peacemakers--by Dennis Adler.  See pages 129 and 180.

StrawHat:  Thanks for the downloads, my computer is acting slow today, I will review them later.
Chase
NCOWS
NRA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com