Author Topic: Bloody Bill Anderson in repose  (Read 14636 times)

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Bloody Bill Anderson in repose
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 04:24:30 AM »
Another picture taken on that memorable occasion.

Some clearer definition of the shirt pattern. The pattern is on both the cloak and the shirt so it looks as though they were a single garment, as RCJ suggested.
It's clear from this and other pictures of guerrillas that they dressed the part - fancy shirts, plumes in their hats and, of necessity, two, three or more revolvers. They must have made quite a sight.....

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 08:58:16 AM »
Gents,

This thread is concerned with clothing, and not with the personalities or politics surrounding the era.

Keep it on track.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »
How can you make such a blanket, unprovable statement like that? You weren't there.

My grandmother who lived during those times, said the majority of the people, who were supporting either the Union side, or the confederate side, in the Civil War, didn't support either side involved in the Kansas/Missouri conflict.

I think her recollections are a pretty fair statement of fact...
Bill
I was referring to the guerillas on both sides. Don't know why you are getting a burr in your britches over something that happened 140 years ago. Relax a little bit, no one is trying to argue with you.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:39:20 PM »

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 12:17:44 PM »
I know, I know....it's a well-known image. But Jesse and Bloody Bill set the fashion bar pretty high. Skeeter

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »
I am having a hard time seeing a cloak on Bloody Bill's shirt, rather I see a wide collar, the seams on both shoulders for the arms seem apparent to me.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »
James, you're the expert. The bagginess of an overshirt may have created the effect of a half-cloak around his right elbow. I agree there is (in the second image) what could be a shoulder seam.

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 02:38:46 PM »
The only thing expert about me is my timely appearance at a table, however I just don't see a cape there. I am having trouble recalling an image of an overshirt with a cape. Plenty of capes during the period but they were worn on great coats or over civilian evening wear as far as I recall and not attached to a shirt. True clothing guru's of the period such as Dr. Bob, RCJ, Brass should weigh in as to whether they existed. That is a dandy shirt he is wearing. Makes me want to make one, collect all my cap and balls, saddle my pony - and then go raise some devil in the neighborhood.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 03:43:20 PM »
Union reports said, Bill was wearing a white hat with black feathers, close fitting dunn colored frock coat, blue vest, and an embroidered black shirt.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 01:42:53 AM »
Expert - someone at least 50 miles from home!  ::) :o ;)

I would agree with James that he is pictured wearing a very fancy overshirt!  Damn, I would also like to have one! 

There were plenty of atrocities by both sides - Bleeding Kansas - which actually included the western 1/4 of Missouri.  The areas that supported secession were located in the Missouri & Mississippi valleys where the crops of hemp, cotton and tobacco were grown.  The rest of the state supported the Union.  [A generalization.]  My G. G. [?] Grandfather was a stone mason, immigrant from Wales who lived in St. Louis.  He hired a man to go in his place and worked on building St. Louis during the ACW.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 05:02:32 AM »
I was referring to the guerillas on both sides. Don't know why you are getting a burr in your britches over something that happened 140 years ago. Relax a little bit, no one is trying to argue with you.

May I refer you to St. Georges post, the post immediately above yours...!

Bill

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 11:20:56 PM »
Since few if any ''guerilla'' shirts survive and the few photos are B&W and not exactly Nat. Geo. quality there is a LOT of room for speculation as to what was/is a guerilla overshirt. Personally, I have never seen an original ''guerilla'' shirt. Does one survive?  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com