Author Topic: Gatlin at SW Regional  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Cole Bluesteele

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gatlin at SW Regional
« on: October 17, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »
Like the title says.  One of our shooters has a 1874 Gatlin gun.   He's planning on bringing it to the regional and shooting her.  Also he says that if any one wants to give her a whirl  they can do so for the court of ammo. 

Cole

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
Re: Gatlin at SW Regional
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 05:04:48 PM »
Like the title says.  One of our shooters has a 1874 Gatlin gun.   He's planning on bringing it to the regional and shooting her.  Also he says that if any one wants to give her a whirl  they can do so for the court of ammo. 

Cole

Awe heck Cole.....I thought you meant the country singer...Jerry Gatlin....... ::)

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »
Awe heck Cole.....I thought you meant the country singer...Jerry Gatlin....... ::)

Bill

Larry Gatliin?

Bill

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:35:58 PM »

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:23:43 AM »
Just curious, but what caliber is it, 45/70 or 50/70?
Also, for those that may not have known it, there is supposedly a real Larry Gatlin, hopefully he'll bring along his backup group 'The Handcrankers', a not-so-well-known historical musical group from up in the Hills of Kentucky. They were first sponsored by a Dentist from back East who had a lot of time on his hands and built the first hand-cranked music box mounted on a carriage, similar in design to the Gatling Gun also created by a Dentist.
The music box utilized what was known in Europe as a revolving bellows that allowed air to be wafted over metallic reeds to create a dissonate sound, not unlike the Hurdy Gurdy seen across Europe at seasonal festivals. Many did not like the sound of it but it caught on in the hills of Kentucky. Some say it sounded like a combination of a cat being squeezed and a fiddle being bowed at the same time, most assuredly an acquired taste but not unknown in the back-country.
Only one mounted music box is known to exist and it has been modified many times since the metal reeds were prone to rusting out while screwed to the sound board and were hard to replace. It has only been seen in sepia pictures in an old musical instrument reference book that is long out of print. The one used by 'The Handcrankers' is but a simple copy of the original and has plastic reeds so does not really give the listener the true combinational sound of a skirl, screech and scrunch and has a low bass effect not unlike that of a Wash Tub Bass using a Deer Gut string and hand-cut White Ash sapling for the stick on an original 1890's galvanized Wash Tub.
If anyone has the opportunity to see them in performance you will have experienced a true bit of musical history! Take lots of pics and phone video if possible as the verification process is hard to imagine and they are getting up in years and may not be able to perform as much as they used to back up in the Hollow.
With my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, best regards and enjoy!
'Ol Gabe 
Past Master Wash Tub Bass Player

Offline whiskers

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Howdy all,
The gat is  mine and it is a 45-70 built to original colt specs by a man in Ohio.  Is is commonly called a camel gun and is on a tripod.
See you at the shoot. (cost of ammo is $1.00 per round)  There will be a door prize of 30 rounds to 1 lucky shooter.
I probably will let Cole shoot it free for a little bit to demo the gun.
Whiskers
NRA Benefactor Member
SASS 39120
NRA Whittington Center Founders Club Member
NRA Whittington Center Gun Club Life Member
Western Action Fun Shooter

Offline Cole Bluesteele

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 04:46:26 PM »
YEEHAW! It pays to be the match contact!!!!
Cole

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:18:53 PM »
Howdy all,
The gat is  mine and it is a 45-70 built to original colt specs by a man in Ohio.  Is is commonly called a camel gun and is on a tripod.
See you at the shoot. (cost of ammo is $1.00 per round)  There will be a door prize of 30 rounds to 1 lucky shooter.
I probably will let Cole shoot it free for a little bit to demo the gun.
Whiskers

Whiskers,

Thanks for bringing the Gatlin.  It's generated lots of interest in the match.  My son, Biscuit is crackin' open his piggy bank for some time on the crank.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline whiskers

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 09:53:33 PM »
Tell Biscuit he shoots free next time, maybe he can turn the crank by himself then.

Whiskers
NRA Benefactor Member
SASS 39120
NRA Whittington Center Founders Club Member
NRA Whittington Center Gun Club Life Member
Western Action Fun Shooter

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:57:49 PM »
Tell Biscuit he shoots free next time, maybe he can turn the crank by himself then.

Whiskers

Whiskers,

You made that boy's year!  He carries pictures of him with that Gatlin in his school note book.  All his buddies are quite envious.

Thanks again for the experience and the fellowship.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline lethal larry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 09:41:44 AM »
I was the lucky fellow who won 30 rounds free on the Gatlin gun and it was a hoot. Mucho thanks to Whiskers for bringing this beauty to our humble little match. It was a joy to watch and shoot! ;D
"Clinging to" my Wife, Guns, Bible, cats and goat... and proud of it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com