Author Topic: 1872 open top loading gate  (Read 2001 times)

Offline sk29452

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1872 open top loading gate
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »
just wondering if anybody can tell me how to make the loading gate on my OpenTops easier to open.They seem really tight and I'd like to smooth them a little.

Thanks,
SK

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1872 open top loading gate
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:00:48 PM »
The spring is external, you might either loosen the screw a bit to see if it relieves the stiffness, or tweak the spring a bit.  I would first remove the spring and try the gate to see if there is a tightness or burr problem with the pivot itself.  It is a screw, and it might either be tight in the hole of the gate, or the shoulder is too short and is pinching the gate. which could be relieved by removing a thousanths or so from the thickness of the gate hinge ring. 

If it is tight in the hole, though, I would expect to see the screw loosening up from opening and closing the gate several times.

Actually, a loose screw is a factor in having the cylinder jam as the case rims hit the screw head, best to keep it tight. (use blue Locktite)
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com