Author Topic: uberti 1851 navy conversion  (Read 5678 times)

Offline rightnotleft

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
uberti 1851 navy conversion
« on: August 07, 2010, 10:48:31 PM »
Hello all. I'm new here and new to CAS. I recently bought an Uberti 1851 Navy conversion (model #341360), and I can't wait to shoot it. However, I'm having a bit of trouble taking it apart to clean it. So, I hope someone here can help me. The wedge screw seems to be jammed tight against the wedge and it doesn't want to turn. The corner of the flat edge of the wedge screw is down on the wedge (almost in the 'open' position). I initially used the supplied tool to turn the screw, but it will not budge. I then used a screwdriver, but it started to damage the screw. I don't want to damage the firearm further, and since I've only had it a week, I really don't want to have to send it back. Uberti sent another wedge screw with the gun (odd?), so once the scratched one is out, I can replace it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps the wedge needs to be tapped one way or the other to get the screw loose? Or maybe I should just use the screwdriver again and not worry about damaging the screw since I have another one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: uberti 1851 navy conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03:40 PM »
tap the wedge in just a hair till the screw will turn, then line up the flat on the screw head with the bottom edge of the slot.  The wedge on the Man With No Name Conversions only has a partial channel so the screw actually holds the wedge in.  That's the reason there is a flat side to the screw head. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline rightnotleft

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 11:32:20 PM »
Should I tap the wedge from the left side (screw side) or the right side? The wedge on my Uberti definitely has a 'channel' on the top of the wedge. It stops about 1/8" from the end of the left side. Once I get the wedge screw into the open position, should I expect to be able to remove the wedge entirely, or would it stay 'captured' in the barrel? Thank you for the help. :D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:29:30 PM »

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:35:20 PM »
Sent you a more comlete reply to your PM.  The wedge, once the screw flat is turned parallel to the wedge top, should be able to come completely out.  Try to back the wedge out enough to loosen its grip and nudge the head sideways away from the corner that is caught, the screw should then turn.

Spare wedges and screws are always worth having, see VTIgunparts website.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline rightnotleft

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:31:15 PM »
Thanks again for the great advice. I will try it out and let you know how it goes. I will definitely give VTI a call for some extra parts. I really like this gun, and I hope I get to try it out soon. Thanks for all the great information. ;D

Offline rightnotleft

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 10:42:53 PM »
That did it. It's now clean and back together. I really appreciate all the help I have gotten on this. Thank you. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com