Author Topic: uberti opentop  (Read 5655 times)

Offline bushwhacker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 272
uberti opentop
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »
  I was told that the frames on the Uberti open tops were the same and you could switch from 38 to 44 by switching cylinders and barrels?  True or not? Thanks Bushwhacker

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: uberti opentop
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 01:03:21 PM »
The frame is the same on the 72, I have barrels and cylinders for 38, 44 and 45 Schofield, and two lengths for the 44's.

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 01:43:05 PM »
some fitting required, and you may want each set of barrels to have its own wedge.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:34:13 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 03:12:01 PM »

Yep, interchangeable.  Some fitting required for each barrel and cylinder, and yes, each barrel cylinder combination should be done with it's own wedge.  Each barrel and cylinder should also be numbered to the frame it was fit to.  No two are alike.
Like Flint, I have all the Open Top calibers on one frame.  Takes about two minutes to change calibers.  I just don't have pictures.  I shoot .44 Russian cases in the 44s and .45 Cowboy Special type case in the .45s as the .38 Spl is just a 38.  I do NOT recommend .45 Colt in these guns.
All the Open Top guns require some set up out of the box to be reliable.  Once set up properly, they are as robust and reliable as any CAS gun we shoot.

Coffinmaker

Offline bushwhacker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 272
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »
  Thanks for the information.  Bushwhacker

Offline Long Juan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Tarryhollow Gang
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:25:22 PM »
Coffinmaker, what "set-up" do you recommend and do you recommend someone to do it?  Any go-by for someone who has never worked on an OT? 

Also, anyone know where some .45LC Open Tops might be in stock.  I have been checking with Texas Jack's in Fredericksburg, TX, for Cimarrons for months.  No joy!  Have found some Type II Conversions in .44 Special that I like very much, but I sure would like some OT's in .45LC. 

Thanks in advance. 
CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Offline Long Juan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Tarryhollow Gang
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 09:32:22 PM »
Coffinmaker, Long Juan here again.  I just saw your post in the other thread about .45LC Open Tops.  I have heard that elsewhere (about problems) and guess I was just hoping it might not be true.  I love the .45LC cartridge. 

But now, please let me amend my question about availability.  Anyone know where I might find some Open Tops in .44 Special?  Looking for the longer barrel, not sure whether the OT is 8" or 7 1/2".  Also, still wondering about someone who might do the fitting and timing work mentioned by Coffinmaker in the other thread.  That may, no is, beyond my capabilities. 

Once again, thanks in advance. 

www.tarryhollowgang.com

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 11:56:44 PM »
One of my cylinders is 44 Special and the other 44 Colt, and I shoot 44 Russian in both.  The 45 cylinders are Schofield, and would chamber 45 Special if I had the dies and brass.  It's easier on the gun and the budget to shoot Schofield or 45 Special than 45 Colt.  The 38 would also chamber 38 LC.

44 Russian is a great black powder cartridge, light recoil and less powder, more than enough smoke.

I usually shoot 44 Russian at matches, and also in my 44 Special Colt SAA's.

Yes, it took some fitting and I did number the cylinders and barrels to the frames.  If you fit new cylinders, you MUST set the proper headspace FIRST, before adjusting the length of the gas ring for endshake.

Numbering the wedges is more difficult, as the wedges I have are harder than the number stamps.  I just keep them in their barrels.  It is more economical to time-share the ejector assemblies, as they are not cheap either.

This whole system is expensive, but cheaper than having six revolvers....
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 10:38:58 AM »
Long Juan,

There is a laundry list of things to check/do to an Open Top and whether it's  an 1872 or a conversion is no matter.  The first step is to set proper head space and end shake, which requires proper spacing of the cylinder arbor to the barrel, then the timing.  That is the "basic" set up.  Doing it isn't necessarily DIY simple.  Pettifogger did an excellent series on setting up the Open Tops in the Cowboy Chronicle.  It qualifies as "must" reading for Open Top shooters.

You might also want to check with Taylors for your .45s although I think Cimarron is the only source for the Type II.

If your unfamiliar with the working of the Open Top then best bet is to find a gun plumber in your local area who really understands the guns.  I don't know where your at to make any recommendations. 

Coffinmaker 

Offline Long Juan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Tarryhollow Gang
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 07:30:58 PM »
Coffinmaker, thanks.  I found and am reading the articles in the Chronicle.  They are confirming that I need to find someone who knows what they are doing to tune my Conversions and any Open Tops I might find.  I am in Austin, TX, if you know anyone in that area or even someone to whom I might ship.  Thanks again for your help.   
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 06:52:09 AM »
Long Juan, youmight contact Alan Harton of Single Action Service in Houston.  His number is 713.772.8314 or 713.907.6031, I think his email is alanharton@hotmail.com.  His rates are resonable and turn around time short.  Both Grouchy Spike and Bad Hand had their '72s tuned up there.

Offline Long Juan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Tarryhollow Gang
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 08:15:15 AM »
Thanks, John.  I will get in touch with Alan.  Will also visit with Grouchy Spike and Bad Hand next time I see them. 

LJ
www.tarryhollowgang.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com