Author Topic: 3f compared to 2f?  (Read 10048 times)

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
3f compared to 2f?
« on: July 08, 2010, 02:18:10 PM »
Ok, I have a new question that I couldn't quite figure out without buying powder.

I use 1860's and have been trying different loads. I like big booms and lots of smoke. I moved up to 30 gr of 3f and it feels good, but it's hard to keeep the caps on. 25 gr is much better, but it leaves the ball too deep in the chamber. I like to eliminate a wad to keep it simple. I just use Crisco to fill the chamber after the ball.

So, the question is if I use 30 gr of 2f (Goex). Will it have the same chamber pressure as 25 gr of 3f? Can I use more 2f?

I'd like to use as much 2f as possible and still keep the pressure in a range that will keep the caps from blowing off.

btw I use Treso nipples.

Thanks
Pete

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: 3f compared to 2f?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »
 2f will yield less pressure than 3f when used grain for grain. Whether or not it'll keep you caps from falling off is a whole nuther guestion.
 You could also go to 1f if you're not worried about velocity.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 02:30:12 PM »
I know 2f has less pressure. That's why i'm switching to it. I'm ok with 25 gr of 3f as far as caps go. So, my question is how much 2f powder can I use to be equal to 25gr of 3f?

I use spouts to measure my powder. I'm trying figure this out without buying spouts that I don't need.  :)
Pete

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:13:39 AM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:46:03 PM »
It's hard to give you exact numbers.
 Best thing you can do is pour your cylinder full of 2f until you have room to seat the ball, and then dump that powder out into a scale and see how many grains you got.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 11:22:27 PM »
What's so wrong about blowing the caps off the nipples? I love how my Uberti Remingtons kick off the caps under recoil. The caps are supposed to fall off the Colts at that diagonal cutout on the recoil shield each time you cock the gun. If the caps stay on the nipples there is a greater chance they will drag on the recoil shield as they come back around. I prefer they drop the hell away from the gun so I need not have to deal with them.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:23:59 AM »
What's so wrong about blowing the caps off the nipples? I love how my Uberti Remingtons kick off the caps under recoil. The caps are supposed to fall off the Colts at that diagonal cutout on the recoil shield each time you cock the gun. If the caps stay on the nipples there is a greater chance they will drag on the recoil shield as they come back around. I prefer they drop the hell away from the gun so I need not have to deal with them.

Sometimes they fall down if front of the hammer. Then the next shot doesn't fire. I'm sure you already know this.

Even though I use the stock main spring i think heavy loads still blow the hammer back.
Pete

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »
Pete,
I would recommend you fill in the safety notch on the hammer with welding, brazing, or JB Weld. What I have found is the caps get forced into that little notch in the hammer face and get grabbed off the nipple and then tipped off into the action or under the hammer. Since I have filled all my Colt's hammers I don't get cap jams or hangups with 30 grain powder loads. The Tresos have smaller flash holes and less pressure is exerted onto the hammer face and therefore less cap grabbing but if you  filling that notch I'll bet your cap drop problem stops. I used JB Weld but it occasionally gets knocked out but when intact I have had ZERO cap jams.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 08:06:58 AM »
Hellgate that's great advise on the hammer mod.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »
hellgate,

I was going to do that. I think I read one of your articles that suggested it.

I'm going to go ahead and use 30gr of 2f from now on and make it work. That way i'll only need to buy one size of BP for all the guns. I love to simplify my life.
Pete

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 04:23:31 PM »
I did a comparison chrony test (No pressures) one time with .44-40 and .38-40.

Each calibre took close to 34grains of FFg as a full load.  To obtain equivalent MVs (about 700 fps)with FFFg I loaded 21 grains and topped it with enough Cream of Wheat to get about the same compression.   

Full loads of FFFg reached close to 900 fps in my 5 1/2 inch Old Vaqueros.  I don't have the data handy, but I wrote it up in a short article in the NCOWS SHOOTIST a few years back.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 04:55:52 PM »
Rooster & Pete,
I had thought of it years ago and tried to solder in the notch in my '61 Navy but couldn't get it to stick so I gave up. Then last year I thought, "Hey, I use JB Weld for so many other things maybe that would work". So I tried it, tested it, wrote up an article on it and sent it to the SASS Cowboy Chronicle. But before claiming credit I did a search and it turns out that a fellow named Noz (Nozzle Rag) had suggested it to Fingers McGee who suggested it on the SASS Wire last year or so. So Noz was first to suggest it to anyone and Fingers passed it on but I still wrote it up (crediting them too) so others might get more reliability out of their perCUSSIN' revolvers. I suggested (emailed) to Alchemista that he provide hammers without the notch on the Piettas he makes but he stated that his insurance carrier would not allow it. I suggested he at least NARROW the width and put notchless hammers on their Colts without the safety pins on the cylinders to begin with. I did not hear back on that one.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 10:25:57 AM »
I can understand their problem with safety, but we only load 5 chambers and that's a better safety.

I'll fill the notch.

Thanks.
Pete

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Defender of all things fun!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »
This may sound strange and I’m sure I’ll get lots of disagreement, but.........

I found, that when I shot 2F in my pistols, they got a lot hotter then with the same amount of 3F. I think it has to do with the bigger grains leaving more room for air and that causes a hotter burn. But, I really can't say for sure. I just know it happens!

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 10:22:56 AM »
For those of us who are newer to this, what exactly is "the safety notch on the hammer?" Is that specific to a Colt (I own a Pietta 1858 Remingon model). There's a roundish indentation on the face of my hammer that looks like it aligns with the nipples but I don't know what purpose (if any) it serves.

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Defender of all things fun!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 11:05:55 AM »
Colts have a notch in the hammer that lock in on the "nipple" between the cylinders while the Remingtons (with the narrower hammer) can be lowered into the slot between the cylinders. Both options allow the user to carry the gun with 6 full cylinders and not have the hammer on a cap.

Bruce

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 12:04:01 PM »
Thanks. I didn't know that. I'm familiar with the notch in the hammer that's used to aim, but I've never looked at the face of a Colt hammer so I didn't know there was another notch.

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 05:07:16 PM »
Fiddler, the gun gets hotter because the slower burn gives more time for heat transfer to the metal.

For what it's worth, a lot of pards think that BP burns hotter than smokeless..........it does not! It simply burns slower and heat is transfered to the barrel/cyllinder better during that slow burn. (Something I picked up from the Mad Monk a long time ago)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 05:26:04 PM »
Yup Cuts,

But on long string shotgun stages I wear a glove on my left hand when I'm shootn' my SxS.  It gets rite hot in the tubes.  Like to blister my mits without gloves.

Long live the Holy Black!!

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 09:39:11 PM »
Hey DD,
The way I keep from frying my off hand on the barrels is to lace a THIN leather sleeve around the barrels at the level of the forestock. As long as you are not wrapping the wood (just the barrels) it is a legal modification. I have the laces under the forestock between the barrels where they don't show. The leather is super thin but effectively insulates my hand from the heat. The forestock holds the sleeve in place.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Doc Cuervo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 12:51:39 AM »
Hey DD,
The way I keep from frying my off hand on the barrels is to lace a THIN leather sleeve around the barrels at the level of the forestock. As long as you are not wrapping the wood (just the barrels) it is a legal modification. I have the laces under the forestock between the barrels where they don't show. The leather is super thin but effectively insulates my hand from the heat. The forestock holds the sleeve in place.
Hmmm, the gloves solution sounds much simpler and it works, that is what I use.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com