Kirst 1860 sheriff and round balls

Started by badlands, June 28, 2010, 09:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badlands

Just got my army conversion done and took it to the creek and it shot all over the target, i was getting a little disapointed and my neighbor drives up and takes a look, he says how did it shoot before you worked on it?  Well it shot good, as i had shot three cylinders before the conversion, him not knowing anything about it says why not load up some round balls and see how it does.  Viola, i did and it shoots POA again and is way more tame when you pull the trigger.   The bullets had scattered pretty much all over the left quadrant of the target and the round balls were in a neat little six inch group right in the middle a tad high of the aim point.  I've since shot fifty more rounds and it's very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.  Anybody else ever load round balls in Long colt cases?
BL
The west is the best, get here and we'll do the rest.

Forty Rod

Turner Kirkland (RIP) of Dixie Gun Works used to propose doing that.  I did a few times in a SAA, but it was just for plinking.  Never shot it for accuracy.

Guess I'll have to try it again some time.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Dusty Morningwood

badlands

I loaded this batch with .451 round balls but am going to try some .454 and see if there is any difference in performance. BL

boilerplatejackson

I have shot round balls from a 45 LC off and on at SASS matches. Last April I bought a R & D conversion for my 1860
Army and round balls is all I want to shoot in that barrel due to its thin barrel wall and the area below cut for the cylinder
arbor. I shoot American Pioneer Powder in my Schofield cases and have less problems. As to size 451 works for me.

River Jordan

BoilerplateJackson,

How did you seat the ball? flush as if it were a wadcutter?

Coffinmaker

Your best bet with round ball, is to seat the ball so you actually crimp into the fattest part of the ball.  A good crimp will grip the ball very well and result in better ignition.  For CAS, the lead MUST show above the case mouth.

Coffinmaker

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I use a .440 roundball sized to .430 in .44 Russian cases for my M83 Reichsrevolver, and .31 ball for some pocket pistols.  I believe that SASS & NCOWS, or one of them at least, requires the projectile to be visible outside the case.  It is easy to leave the ball a bit proud, and instead of crimping, use the groove between the mouth of the case and the ball to hold some bullet lube.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Coffinmaker

I forgot.  I'm over 50 and that's my best excuse. 

In the way back, ball loads with reduced powder charges were call "gallery loads" for use in shooting galleries. 

Just a bit of ........ trivia.

Coffinmaker

Hangtown Frye

Hey Compadre!  Good to see you here!

Anyway, I did that a fair amount back when, using a moderate load in my SAA, a greased felt wad and then a .454" round ball. That was pre-Wonder Wads of course, but I have no doubt that those would work quite well. In fact I'd been pondering doing just that of late, so this may get me off the stick to do some further experimentation.

Round ball also worked very well in an old Spanish break-top I had that was made originally in .455, but someone had cut the back of the cylinder down for .45 Auto Rim.  With a case full of powder and a .454" round ball, it was sweet to shoot, and pretty accurate as well.

I'm also hankering to try out my new-to-me Colt Sheriff's Model in .44, using .44 Special or .44 Russian brass.  With 26-30 grains of 3F and a .429" RB, it ought to shoot like a house afire.  With the .44-40 cases, and something like 40+ grains of 3F, I ought to be able to set the house afire with the muzzle-blast!  Gotta love that sort of fun. ;)

Again, good seeing you here amigo, and talk to you soon!

Cheers!

Gordonl

badlands

Howdy Gordo,
  Good to see you here as well mi amigo.  That sheriff model kirst is a heck of a shooter now, shoots as good as my Grens with the round balls and you don't have the recoil of the heavy .45 cal bullets.  Was just messing around with it down by the creek the other day and stepped off 75 yards and it shot an approx two foot group off hand, with three rounds making a nice 6 to 8 inch group near the ten ring.  Sure miss riding with the best cavalry to take the field, those were shining times my friend.  Hope to talk to you soon. 

Hangtown Frye

Hey Badlands,

Sounds like you've got a serious little shooter in your hands there!  I hate to admit it, but I do covet it somewhat, alas!  Well, not like I don't have plenty of cool toys of my own to take out and get dirty as it is though.   :-\

So I hope things are going well for you in the Land of the Cheyenne and the Kioway, and by God you're right on the count of our Cavalry days.  Best darned Horse Cavalry since WWII at least, that's for sure! Raise a cup to the old days tonight, and I'll do the same, amigo!

Cheers!

Gordo

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Hangtown;  I needed an RB projectile for my M83 Reichsrevolver.  I had a stockpile of .440 ball for my .45 muzzleloaders.  They sized down quite well to .429
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Hangtown Frye

Sir Charles;

Excellent!  Thanks for the suggestion.  I have a bunch of those myself, and a mold to boot for my old .45 flint rifle.  I'll give that a try.

Cheers!

Gordon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com