Author Topic: Looking for an 1860 barrel  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1221
Looking for an 1860 barrel
« on: June 06, 2010, 01:39:34 AM »
Greetings Netizens -

with the temperature hitting the 100 degree mark it is clearly too hot for chores, and I am too blasted tired from dealing with family matters to load up 10 C&B cylinders and clean up afterwards... With a gunshow in town the Lovely Spousal Unit encouraged me to sleep in and go down and waste my time search for bargains. I have found (like many others) that the shows of late have become even more pathetic than normal with absurdly high prices for bovine defecatory material. So instead, I wandered down to the local toy store knowing that it would be less crowded with the weekend looky-loos headed to the show.

I was correct regarding the lack of crowd, but Oddly enough, I found that there was a constant stream of patrons bringing in goodies  to offer the shop after getting no takers at the show! Thus I was able to gawk at even more toys, many pre 1900, and was able to handle an original Remington Navy converted by the factory to .38 rimfire! very nice indeed.

Thus I was able to pick up (at bargain basement prices) an ASM copy of Colt's 1860 Army in .44 and an odd little toy I had seen in the past, a .36 C&B "twist-barrel" derringer, which BTW was historically manufactured in a number of calibers including .38 S&W. It is the perfect "oddball niche" pocket derringer for a C&B affecianado.

the 1860 ASM is mechanically excellent, and set up for a shoulder stock. It has no finish at all and extremely oversized  grip, as tho it were a kit that someone gave up on. My original intention was to cut it down into a snubby 1860 (yah, it was that cheap)
but after getting it home I thought better...

Thus I am now putting out the request for a .44  1860 barrel, any length over 3",  nearly any condition, without loading rod, etc
in order to build an additional "shorty" barrel for my little find. If it is cheap enough, it can be almost any make as I have a welder and (now) a small mill; I also seem to have  more willingness to butcher metal than I have sense.

BTW if anyone has a Colt style buttstock really really cheap, ( or the metal parts) I would appreciate hearing about that too!

Wayne? ummm Rifle? are you out there? We know you have access to a pile of parts you rascal ...

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Looking for an 1860 barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:05:47 AM »
Hey Prof,,,remember when someone was building a long-barreled Remmy and needed a stock? ???

And this person said he'd got one but then found out it was for an 1860? ??? ???

Well,,,,guess who,,,? ??? ??? ???

Problem is, it's across the pond and you could probably find one cheaper at your end!! ::)

Got a chopped down '60 barrel too, but the bore is way beyond resurrection. :'(

AE ;D ;D ;D
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 11:08:11 AM »
Hey Prof,,,remember when someone was building a long-barreled Remmy and needed a stock?
And this person said he'd got one but then found out it was for an 1860?
Well,,,,guess who?
Problem is, it's across the pond and you could probably find one cheaper at your end!
Got a chopped down '60 barrel too, but the bore is way beyond resurrection. :'(

AE  ;D

Why, Thank you kindly for the thought AE ...

In fact, a "shot out" chopped 1860 barrel  might fit the bill perfectly, since I was looking at my junk box and thinking "hmmm turn down this cutoff front -end into a liner? It might just work..."

A chopped barrel ought to fit into a small package, but then the export/import issues arise ...

But wait, do not yet give up hope, is it possible perhaps someone from  "over there" might be planning on coming to End Of The Trail "over here", and might be willing to pack an extra  stock and barrel stub in their gun case?

creative thinking might yet find a solution ...

yhs
prof (brain pan cooling down) marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:29:55 PM »

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:23:34 AM »
Hey Prof, by all means, if'n y'all can find some'dy to carry them, I will make an effort to get 'em to them!

Later:

Just dug the barrel out of it's hiding place, (how do they do that? I was sure it was elsewhere!)

It would appear that it came from a blank firing pistol that was drilled through and pins dropped through just forward of the forcing cone,to make it forward venting.(British fast-draw mode)
If you are thinking of relining then that shouldn't be a problem,,,you can have it for free!!
The barrel is 4.75" at present.
The stock would cost you £30.00, I'm afraid, (it actually belongs to my pal, who gave it to me for selling on.)

Ball is now in your court!

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:28:08 PM »
Hey Prof, by all means, if'n y'all can find some'dy to carry them, I will make an effort to get 'em to them!

Later:

Just dug the barrel out of it's hiding place, (how do they do that? I was sure it was elsewhere!)

It would appear that it came from a blank firing pistol that was drilled through and pins dropped through just forward of the forcing cone,to make it forward venting.(British fast-draw mode)
If you are thinking of relining then that shouldn't be a problem,,,you can have it for free!!
The barrel is 4.75" at present.
The stock would cost you £30.00, I'm afraid, (it actually belongs to my pal, who gave it to me for selling on.)

Ball is now in your court!

AE

My word, AE you are too kind, and your price is exceptional! Allow me to check around and see if I can find a courier.
One possible alternative, if the bits weigh less than 2 kg when packaged, is the royal post, but I am unsure what the paperwork would be like and would not wish to put you out over that sort of red tape...

please stand by whilst I poll my foreign colleagues ...

many thanks and
best regards
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 12:39:17 PM »
So whatever happened with this project?

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 05:32:35 PM »
Ah My Dear Story and AE -

The short story is I was unable to find a courrier for AE's generous offers, but did find used a doner barrel and shoulder stock
(and heaven help me, another dirt cheap 1860 army!) elsewhere, so the project will slowly move forward.
Pics will follow, eventually...

I appologise for my tardiness, as I have been overcome by family issues, simply put, the long-distance liquidation of assets and settling of the estate of my Lovely Spousal Unit's recently departed mother.

I am recently returned from the latest, and hopefully last airtrip devoted to the "clearing out" of the Inlaw's home of well over 30 years. They, like us, loved their books and were also, like us, devoted packrats :-)

The good news - FIL (departed 2 years ago) and I had discussed the folly of various hidey-holes and thus I knew without doubt that I did not need to riffle the leaves of every book looking for cash, nor examine the frozen food or ice cube trays for disguised valuables.

The Bad News - while not hoarders, they lived thru the Great Depression as city teenagers, ( FIL regularly supplemented the meat on the family table with home raised Squab) so there was a LOT of junk (but's it's really good junk!)
FIL kept every piece of paper or receipt that passed his desk, including all his Ford work papers, the notebook paper rcpt of the 1939 chevy he purchased from his brother, and his (and my wife's) gradeschool report cards...   :-( ...

So, after several rounds disposing of of 20 Contractor grade garby bags of crap stuff each time, I arranged to have 10 cu yard dumpsters delivered, and filled 3 ... ( and yes there is still more).

This whilst still keeping my day job ...

Better News - the realtor we selected put us in contact with a Service that handles this stuff - House cleaning, Estate Sales, disposal of what's left, and fixup/cleanup to make it ready for sale.

Thus after winnowing out "the good stuff" and shredding the "private stuff" we are "hiring it done" and just literally putting it in the Lord's hands ...

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 07:34:07 PM »
It didn`t happen unless you post photos.  ;D ;)

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
Hey Prof,,,,update on parts etc,,,,,,all my bits of barrels, '60 and'51 sheriff, '58 offcuts etc. are all now with Deputy Dewey down in Welsh Wales, UK.
He said he needs them!!

Hope your project proceeds successfully.

AE

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »
Hey Prof,,,,update on parts etc,,,,,,all my bits of barrels, '60 and'51 sheriff, '58 offcuts etc. are all now with Deputy Dewey down in Welsh Wales, UK.
He said he needs them!!

Hope your project proceeds successfully.

AE

Excllent, My Dear AE! I am glad someone local to your great Isle is able to acquire and use them :-)

again thanks for your generous prior offer, it seems the thoughtpolice make it too difficult.

yhs
prof marv
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Cherokee Reb

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 02:09:46 AM »
Perfessor,
 Sent you a PM about parts I have from a Pietta I have given up on.

Via con dios
Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 02:46:24 PM »
Greetings Monsieur C.R.

I appologise for my tardiness, thank you for your PM and alert you to my pending return PM!

your overworked servant
prof marv
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com