Author Topic: Tintype of Young Man  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tintype of Young Man
« on: April 17, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »

Slightly trimmed 1/4 plate full length portrait tintype of an identified young man in a three piece suit (but no tie!) and tophat, posing amidst a "rocky" setting in a photographer's studio. Etched on the back of the plate is; "Jim Pidd / On The Boom". It's hard to say with certainty what "On The Boom" refers to. There are various explanations in the late 19th century from mining to railroading, but as the origin of this image is also Saginaw, Michigan, it can very well be a reference to the logging term. There's a touch of gilt added to his watch chain and the pinkie ring on his left hand. Some minor surface wear, else in near fine condition with good contrast. Uncased.

Saginaw is only a few miles from where I was born so I am going to say this young man had something to do with the logging industry also.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: Tintype of Young Man
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 01:47:23 PM »
Not only no tie but no collar.  I always thought that one always wore a color with a suit in those days...again I am proved wrong ;D

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 02:00:34 PM »
Might also come from whatever derivative gave us 'Boomtown' or doing a 'booming' business.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:16:40 AM »

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »
No, I think the inscription means "Log Boom." A log boom, was logs that were chained together, end to end, around a flotilla of logs, to keep the logs together when logs were floated to a saw mill.

There were men, with peeve's and pikes, on these booms, to keep the logs moving in the right direction.

Bill

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 06:10:13 PM »
Timber beasts / lumberjacks (one word) were "on the boom" when they got paid and hit the "skid road" (later "skid row") for the nearest town.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 06:15:58 PM »
Timber beasts / lumberjacks (one word) were "on the boom" when they got paid and hit the "skid road" (later "skid row") for the nearest town.

The first skid road was in Seattle, Washington. logs were skidded down the road and into Puget sound.

I think the street is now named Yesler way.

I found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Yesler

Bill

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:50:32 AM »
Not only no tie but no collar.  I always thought that one always wore a color with a suit in those days...again I am proved wrong ;D

Will Ketchum

The shirt has a collar, but it's a banded colllar.  One then adds a dress collar if desired.  Come on Will, yer as bad as the greenhorns that come in for their first outfits. ;)

BTW there were shirts with no collars, but the edge is rolled and then uses a running stich to finish it like a slilk bandanna.

Notice also the fly on the pants, the coat buttons and the shirt buttons are reversed like a tintype should be, but the vest is made wrong for a man's vest.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com