Author Topic: Rebarrel or Reline a Roller  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Chase

• Very Active Citizen
  • ......"it's not the critic who counts"...T.R.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rebarrel or Reline a Roller
« on: April 10, 2010, 12:43:04 PM »
I posted this on BROW.  From the lack of response, I am thinkin' they are thinkin' I'm a bit crazy.
In a nutshell, looking for ideas on changing a Remington  Rolling Block in 43 Spanish to shoot a pistol
cartridge.  I'm a bit on the cheap side and wonder if it would be better (read cheaper) to reline the barrel for 45 colt,
rebarrel the gun, or if it would be possible to just rechamber it to shoot 44's. since the barrel diameter is .439.
This gun has no collector value and has been cut down to a carbine length.

Also looking for a gunsmith within 1-2 hours of Indianapolis.  Would rather drop the gun off than ship. 

Any feedback short of telling me to see a doctor, would be appreciated.
Chase
NCOWS
NRA
VisionQuest '87 PA to FL via covered wagon
"If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?"--John Wayne

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
Re: Rebarrel or Reline a Roller
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 12:48:45 PM »
You might check with Jed Cooper  Aka Dave Holligsworth who is a retired Indianapolis PD officer and a gun collector. He might be able to recommend a gunsmith around the Indy area or refer you to someone who might be able to.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 12:51:32 PM »
Not a crazy idea, just did't really know what would be best.  Bore is to big for 44 by about 0.010"  also a new extractor will be needed. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:00:56 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 01:00:52 PM »
What about 45 Colt?
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »
What about 45 Colt?

A bit to small. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »
What's the point in changing to a pistol cartridge?
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »
What's the point in changing to a pistol cartridge?

Because he wants a pistol caliber. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 07:02:01 PM »
So that it could be used as a main match rifle at anybody's range without sending them into a tizzy about target damage, I'm guessing? (I shoot a baby rolling block carbine in .45lc as a main match rifle.) ;)

Before I settled on my Pedersoli, I looked into modifying a Danish RB in .43 Spanish by shortening the chamber and correcting headspace to take a customized .45-70 case for loading with a reduced length slug. There was a brass supplier that would cut down 500 cases into what would amount to a ".45-40 Government".
But by the time I added up all the cost, it was cheaper BY FAR to just buy the $800.00 Pedersoli carbine.

My intent was to replicate the Remington RB carbine the Navy used after the CW, although it was chambered in .50-40 (it shot a 385gr bullet under 45gr BP, total cartridge length 1.328 inches).

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Jed Cooper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 03:05:01 PM »
RCJ, The caliber doesn't matter since Phil. forgot how to get to the range ;) We ain't seen him at a shoot in forever :P   Just teasing Phil.  Get with me. I found a local gun smith that specializes in cowboy stuff. He is on the south side. Goes by Manatee.  Name is Greg Timm. Can't find his number right now, but I know where I can get it. If you don't have my number, email me.   Dave
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Offline Marshal Davis

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 04:08:44 PM »
The 43 Spanish is a big cartridge with at least a 50 caliber head and rim maybe bigger. That is the reason you'd have to change extractors. Unless you converted to something like 50 Spencer centerfire from Starline. If you know anyone who has a Spencer and has a shell case you could insert into the breech to see if the extractor will pick it out or not. The 50 Spencer shoots a 350 gr or so bullet but only over about 35 grains of black or equivalent so it should be fine on cowboy targets plus be an authentic caliber or close as it would also be very similar to the 50 US carbine load of the era. Maybe someone would have a 50 caliber carbine barrel of some sort that could be threaded to your action. Reloading for 45 Colt would of course be a little cheaper but I don't know where you would get an extractor to match unless someone handmade one to fit your gun.

Offline Chase

• Very Active Citizen
  • ......"it's not the critic who counts"...T.R.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »
Thanks to all those who have responded thus far.

Yes, Jed it is true I have not made it to the range for some time.  My horse was shot out from under me.  I have taken a couple of arrows in my right leg  by some not-so-friendly indians (sorry OCB) and the recent rains has made it difficult to find the trail.  I recently was leaving this old mine with a bag of gold dust when I was ambushed by a couple of unfriendly sorts who took everything I owned but my life.  And since the only gun I owned was this old RB with no boolits, I could not defend myself.
Hope my luck will change.

River City--you got me interested in these RB's since you shot one at an NCOW shoot.  I like them for their simplicity, reliability,
and just plain good looks.  Wouldn't mind taking mine deer hunting along with shooting it at the range. 

Jed, I will try to get in touch with Mantee and if I can't I will get to you for the number.  Thanks for your help.
Chase
NCOWS
NRA
VisionQuest '87 PA to FL via covered wagon
"If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?"--John Wayne

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 06:14:12 PM »
Why don't you buy mine?
Best offer over $850.00 + shipping.

Dixie Gun Works lists them for $1,050.00 + S&H, and they aren't customized with correct sling swivels. ;D ;D ;D

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com