Author Topic: Bear Hunter  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bear Hunter
« on: April 09, 2010, 04:15:51 PM »

Bear hunter in the wilds of the American West. Circa 1890-1900.
This all the information I could find on this photograph.

Shotgun
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
Re: Bear Hunter
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 05:09:01 PM »
Now why does Elmer Fudd come to mind?

"Shhhh!
Be v-e-w-y, v-e-w-y qwiet."
 ;)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
That's sure not a Wascally Wabbitt!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:12:03 AM »

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Not a very big bear either. But the small bears are much better eating. Bear is actual very good. Except the old very large ones. Their meat is just a little tough. Its better beat, chopped, and process and cooked in a BBQ sauce. Or even cooked in a stew. But the young bear is better as a steak. Of all though what ever size are better when treed by two or three of my little black dogs(Stephens Stock Mtn. Curs) .  Tj  ;D
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 06:30:55 PM »
It looks like his lever gun has a thirty inch barrel on it.

For him to carry his bear like that, it has be a pretty light weight animal.

Bill

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »
Howdy Pards
Maybe the bear aint so small just the hunters so LARGE  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:44:08 AM »
Just for the sake of discussion...
The rifle looks like a Henry with the twist line on the bottom tube a few inches back from the muzzle and it appears to have been 'added' later to the pic as it has a different tint to it than the rest of the pic, outdoor lighting wouldn't necessarily give it that level of reflection. The way the hunter is carrying the rifle also gives us another possible solution in that the positioning of it would have the stock seen behind his right arm on that long of a rifle.
Not dissing the photo but only looking at the position of the rifle as that with how one would be carried when holding a bear which would probably be in the 100-plus poundage range even if it had been gutted.
Curious if anyone else has the same thoughts.
Best regards and good hunting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 10:07:44 AM »
OlGabe,
I think you're right, it does appear the rifle has been added to the picture.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 06:27:20 PM »
I don't think the rifle has been added to the picture. Which would have been a hard thig to do in the 1890 - 1900 photographic technoogy.

Why would the hunter be bear hunting without a rifle?

From the angle of the photo, and the angle of the rifle, the stock of the rifle could be hidden by the riflemans back.

Look at the angle of the hunters wrist and hand, he is holding the back of his hand up against the forend of the rifle.

Bill

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »
Gabe I think you are right also. 

I don't think the rifle has been added to the picture. Which would have been a hard thig to do in the 1890 - 1900 photographic technoogy.

You had better guess again, lots of photos from that era were edited, cut and past, for real and then take a picture of the picture. ;)

Why would the hunter be bear hunting without a rifle?

He wasn't, that's why he got the bear, provided it ain't added also which I'm now not sure of.  Very simple, they ain't way out in the deep woods, the picture was most likey taken right behind the photo studio, cameras were real big then, There were a lot of photo gimicks back then. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 07:59:23 PM »
The National Graphic been around a long time, eh ?

::)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 09:32:42 PM »
Actually, The National Geographic has been in publication since 1890.
For some reason that was one magazine that was a favorite of my Grandfather. Don't think he was a charter subscriber, but he had to be pretty close. He had the complete bound volumes from 1890-1970, the year of his passing. Spent many an evening pouring over the older bound years looking at photos of far away lands.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 10:48:17 PM »
OOPs,, I meant, "the National Inquirer'

Shotgun Steve does an incredible job posting interesting stuff,,,only to have it fretted to-death.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com