Author Topic: American Indian Music  (Read 2925 times)

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
American Indian Music
« on: April 09, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »
Does anyone know of any places online where I can listen to authentic American Indian music from our era?

It's occurred to me that this is a music genre I'm completely unfamiliar with and I'd love to get at least some exposure to it. I'd like to find examples from a variety of tribes, just a song or two, just enough to get a feel for it

Are there any Internet radio stations that play any, or are there any videos on youtube that anyone can recommend?

Free (and legal) is preferred.

Silent Joe

Re: American Indian Music
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 12:00:55 PM »
kflach, look here: http://nativespirits.ning.com/ This is a Native American site and I love it. S.J.

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 12:58:59 PM »
You should be able to find a nice selection of native American music on CDs at your local library. I found one at my library called Creations Journey that I'm quite fond of.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:55:24 AM »

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 01:27:17 PM »
Thanks!

BTW, is there such a thing as "contemporary" Native American music? If I find something on CD can I take it for granted that it's "old school?"

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 02:41:53 PM »
Thanks!

BTW, is there such a thing as "contemporary" Native American music? If I find something on CD can I take it for granted that it's "old school?"

No. don't take for granted that what you'll find is "old School". You might want to look for "Traditional". There is "Contemporary", "Modern", and "New Age" as well. The CD I mentioned earlier has both Traditional and Modern. You might want to check out the Music section of Amazon.com. There you can listen to samples of the tracks.

Also, here is a link to the Omaha Indian Music section at the Library of Congress.
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/S?ammem/omhbib:@field%28NUMBER%28@range%28m0001+m99999%29%29%29
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 02:49:26 PM »
Kevin...
Most traditional pow-wow songs, northern & southern are old songs handed down before the white man came here....The exception being those songs modernized for the different wars such as the Kiowa song, Korea...it's a long story how that song came about but in a nut shell it honors the Indian dead killed in the Korean war. Most tribes will have a song they use today to honor their dead.

Look for a good pow wow CD that has northern & southern traditional songs......there are some differences between the two. In your area a good Comanche drum is what you want.

As far as contemporary Indian songs..one group comes to mind "Brule", pronounced Bru-lay. They are very popular among Indians and non Indians alike. There are others.

Most of these songs can be purchased at Crazy Crow http://www.crazycrow.com

If you would like more information, send me an email.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
Check your local public radio as well.  Ours in Kansas City has a Native American music hour.   It may be syndicated.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 04:22:32 PM »
Paul LaRoche organized "Brule" several years ago. His family comprises most of the Band. I have 3 of their CD's and I enjoy their music. It is traditional Lakota with modern sound technology. They perform at Branson, Mo. and have a program on RFD-TV each week.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 04:27:27 PM »
Our local listener supported station has a couple shows, you can listen on line:

http://www.kzum.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82&Itemid=71
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline JohnR

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 12:41:20 AM »
Go here:

http://radio.powwows.com/

I believe it operates 24/7.  Great variety of contemporary powwow music from the most popular drums.

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 09:24:54 AM »
Thanks for the additional info!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com