Any experience with the Lyman #2 tang sight

Started by Tangle Eye, June 08, 2005, 12:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangle Eye

I'm thinking about a Lyman #2 tang sight for a 1885 low wall .30-30.  This needs to go out to 300 yards.  I've never used one of these sights on a long range rifle before - just soule tang sights. If anybody has any experience with the Lyman #2 tang I'd be pleased to hear about it.
Warthog, SBSS #506, Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #219, NRA Life

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

D. R. Greysun

Well T E,

I'll tell ya, I have 2 #2's each on '94's and I have not been satisfied with them.  I'll go on to say I not fond of the Marble Tang Peep sight either, they just look to delicate.  If I was to do it all over again (and I will someday) I'd go with the Smith Tang Peep sight.  It may be twice the price but I believe you will get twice the sight.  Just my NSHO!

D R

"Keep'm on the Steel"

Tangle Eye

Well just look at the Darkside forum.  Gonna go with a soule type tang sight for this one.  I don't think the #2 is designed for the type of shooting I'm planning for this one.
Warthog, SBSS #506, Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #219, NRA Life

Sagebrush Burns

Been using them for years on M94s, M73s and M92s.  They work fine--only drawback is no windage adjustment, you must shim the base.

Hell-Er High Water

T. E.

I have two of them mounted on rifle caliber repeaters for Cowboy Action side matches; one on an original M'86 Winchester in 45-70 and the other on an original, rebarreled Large Frame Colt Lightning in 45-70 (45-85-285).  The one on the Colt is the Marlin sight with an adapter base.  They have both served me very well for a couple of years now and I have no complaints with them.  As for not having windage adjustment, after all, they are not being used for Metallic Silhouette competition.  Once they are sighted in and the windage is set with either the front sight and/or shimming the rear sight there are really no other adjustments necessary, other than elevation, for the ranges involved in these side matches.  I have painted index marks on them so that I can adjust them in 1/4 turn increments for ranges longer than my sight in range (100 yards in my case).  I hope that this evaluation helps in your selection.

Hell-Er High Water

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com