Russian triggerguard spur

Started by kcub, March 11, 2010, 05:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcub

Why was it required?
Gloves? Two-handed shooting? Control when breaking for loading?

What the heck did Ivan use for a holster?

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: kcub on March 11, 2010, 05:19:21 AM
Why was it required?

I've seen several period photos of cossacks using the spur as a belt hanger.  The revolver is tucked in a leather belt or sash and the spur keeps it from sliding.  Here's a link to on sample photo:

http://books.google.com/books?id=5jnqqkW85u8C&lpg=PA30&ots=riZlIS3Qsc&dq=S%26W%20russian%20cossack&pg=PA30#v=onepage&q=&f=true
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

kcub

Cool picture, thanks!
I see they also used a lanyard for insurance.

Irish Dave

More than a few originals that remain here today can be found with that spur removed. It's a real PITA for most carrying/shooting situations. I'm guessing some probably got broken off, but I'd bet that most were cut/ground off intentionally.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

St. George

Some think it was to be used as a sort of 'safety' and a place to rest the trigger finger, while others think it was merely an additional place to rest a finger for greater stability.

There's even the thought that it was designed as a 'Parry Guard' - to ensure that the Cossack could retain his fingers when parrying a saber.

It's definitely a 'European' design thought - but the real reason is long lost to the Mists of Time.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Short Knife Johnson

I just like it because it's different.  Now I know what it's for.  I was just asked that question last night actually.

In Soviet Russia... you don't carry pistol.  The pistol carries YOU!

Long Johns Wolf

+ St. George regarding finger protection against saber fighters!
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Russian

Quote from: kcub on March 11, 2010, 05:19:21 AM
Why was it required?

Officially in the Russian Army, it was a "4.2 Line Revolver, Smith & Wesson" European calibre being 10.67mm.

The trigger spur from everything I have read was simply to provide additional stability while in the hand.  Actually since I started using it four years ago, I like shooting with my middle finger on the spur.  I find it does give me a little bit more fine control.

As for the holster, standard issue Imperial Russian holster was a flap holster exactly like the 1895 Nagant Holster, just longer for the S&W.  It had a little pouch under the flap for extra ammunition just like the Nagant holster.

Interestingly enough, although the Russian Army purchased a lot of them, it seemed the majority didn't like them due to their weight and a retained preponderance for the sword.  One Russian report in the  1890's stated that the use of the Revolver in a combat situation was actually quite rare, unbelieveably enough.  Keep in mind that the S&W Russian was replaced by the 1895 Nagant, which was all the rage at the time for almost all armies to go to a small calibres for their sidearms.  Like with all reports, there were the detractors who recognized and appreciated the power of the S&W in a combat situation and for bludgeoning.  ;D 
Russian SASS 78317

Великий князь Алексей Александрович в России

За Веру, Царя и Отечество!

Winchester afficionado

Dr. Bob

Heavy IS good for bludgeoning!!  ::)  ;D  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Short Knife Johnson

Quote from: Dr. Bob on April 27, 2010, 06:25:39 PM

Ha ha!  That reminds me of the movie "Snatch," and the character Boris "The Blade" Urinov.

Makes it even funnier to me that the character is Russian.

Russian

;D  Well the Russians can definitely appreciate a good bludgeon!  I don't do much bludgeoning in CAS, but the S&W sure makes it nice for on stage reloads!
Russian SASS 78317

Великий князь Алексей Александрович в России

За Веру, Царя и Отечество!

Winchester afficionado

kcub

nothing like a good bludgeon with a spur embedded firmly into a skull

Short Knife Johnson

Just for kicks, I tried shooting my Uberti Russian with my middle finger on the spur.  Very handy, and makes the pistol more managable to grip.

Dr. Bob

My 44 Russian DA is quite comfortable to shoot without the spur!  Love the Russian ctg. ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Short Knife Johnson

I know.  You barely know it goes off compared to a .44-40, but still has some nice knockdown power with reactive targets.

litl rooster

Quote from: Dr. Bob on April 27, 2010, 06:25:39 PM

that's a lot of work unless your out of bullets
Mathew 5.9

Short Knife Johnson

Well those Ruskies are pretty clever I must say.  You have to give them credit for giving us the inside lubed bullet concept we enjoy today.  Also from which eventually sprang the .44 Magnum. 

Badlands Beady

FWIW, the Dixie Gun Works Model 1895 cavalry holster holds the Uberti Russian quite nicely (and every other revolver I've got, from Remington to Cattleman).

Rancid Roy

I don't know where I heard/read this but...

Supposedly Russian cavalry tactics of the time period required charging aboard the mount with the weapon cocked and ready for action. Hence the spur trigger guard. The trigger finger was rested on the spur during the charge and moved to the trigger when firing.

Again I have no clue where I saw this.
Ne'er Do Well    Chicken Thief

Back Shooter     Ambush Expert

"You hold'em and I'll shoot'em."

GAF 104 Scout and Scoundrel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com