Author Topic: The Challenges of the LeMat  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Itchy Triggerfinger

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Challenges of the LeMat
« on: March 05, 2010, 06:54:02 AM »
I wonder about the real authenticity of the present day weapon .44 against the .41 caliber weapon from back in the day.

What happens is when you shoot it the loading lever jumps out of its keeper due to natural upwards recoil.  This fact requires you to take your free hand and replace it to its home every other shot.  Not that I am all that speedy quick, but this does slow you down.  I have even heard of someone blowing their loading gate clean off which is not hard to imagine due to momentum and the fact a small screw is all that holds it on.  Loading a LeMat is hard on the hands as the loading lever is kind of wimpy.

The other item that is comical on the gun is the shot wad tamper that is housed in the loading lever.  Perhaps it could be used as some sort of hat pin as it would just fall out in combat or at a match.  They are a hoot to shoot because I have had both of them tuned and have bought a custom made holster with one of the weapons and had another made.

I have purchased a lever loading device from Powder Inc.  My plan is to take both loading levers off of my brace of LeMats and utilize this tool.  I am thinking this would not be period correct.  I probably should just shoot them in SASS matches.

Did they have loading aids back in the day?  I think I already know the answer to this.

Oh, another fun fact to know and tell.  Yes, the shotgun centered in the bore is fun.  I have never shot it with grapeshot as a Minie ball in a shotgun wad or in 20 gauge plastic shot wad fits perfectly.  It does make steel sing.

Soo . . . if you were lusting after a LeMat let this serve as a warning.  They are a fun unique weapon, but your going to part with $150 to have it tuned so that it is not ridiculously difficult to pull the hammer back and lock up tight.

I was lucky on the first one and bought it used and tuned for $450 (and Army model).  The second gun is a cavalry model that I purchase for $450.  Tom Sargis did an excellent job tuning both of my pistols.

Yep, my advice is to buy one used as they are pricey new.

I also want a Paterson revolver some day and I hear ya gotta have them turned as well.  Oh, yes one will be mine.

Shameless

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: The Challenges of the LeMat
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:15:40 AM »
I have heard there are 2 kinds of shooters.  Those that want a lemat, and those that want to get rid of a lemat.  I believe the shotgun tamper is one of those pieces destined to get lost and few of the originals have them (pulling that from memory, so take it with a shake or two of salt.)    My wife said I could get one when I turn 50, that or a Patterson.   six and a half years to go.

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:59:57 PM »
In Civil War Reenactment circles, they sey the proudest day for a participant is the day he gets his Lemat.  The second proudest day is when he gets rid of it....:)

They ARE in fact very beautiful pistols, in my opinion......
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:52:37 PM »

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »
I would sing the praises of the Patterson, but they are too few, lol. I picked one up about fifteen years ago when I was still buckskinning. $225 from Cabelas. Awkward is perhaps the best description I can use. The folding trigger takes getting used to as well as no trigger guard. Cocking it is best left as a two handed operation. You never realize just how useful the front of a triggerguard is until it isn't there. Accuracy is individual with weapon. Mine is best fired aiming along the barrel and disregarding the sights. With sights, about eighteen inches high and four to five inches to the left. Loading requires the special tool. Mine also has some of the strangest nipples I've seen yet. Four shoulders. A standard nipple wrench can be modified to fit, though.
  That said, I still love the blasted thing because it is just a beautiful piece of history.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 437
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 07:29:54 AM »
In Civil War Reenactment circles, they sey the proudest day for a participant is the day he gets his Lemat.  The second proudest day is when he gets rid of it....:)

They ARE in fact very beautiful pistols, in my opinion......

I can relate to that ....bought a pair Back when Navy Arms first offered them ... The deal was pay $100 up front when the guns were completed you were informed via letter and you sent the remaing $250.
The wait was just about 1 year, both Cavalry Models arrived #'s 336 and 661. Beauty's both right out of the box, timing was perfect but took a long ,strong thumb to cock them.
Lost the dam shot wad tamper out of 661 the very first Reenactment, made a new one and learn a slight bend in them
added enough friction to keep them in place.
Used them about two years, sold one at Gettysburg 125th reenactment and traded the other for un- fired Colt 2nd Gen 51 Navy which I still have 25 years later. Certainly no longer and long since un-fired  ;D
Proud to have owned them, and proud they went to new homes.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com