Author Topic: I Want One!  (Read 8312 times)

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I Want One!
« on: January 29, 2010, 12:20:39 PM »
It predates our period by a bit, but last night on Pawn Stars a guy had a double barrel flintlock shotgun that had been made in France in the 18th century. Someone had taken it to England and the barrels were sawed off right at the end of the stock to use as a coach gun. But what was really unique was on top of the barrels they mounted a spring loaded bayonet. Now that is tasteful without being gaudy!
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Doc O

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: I Want One!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:26:56 PM »
I saw that. Would love to have that. Flint on top of that.
Can't remember the price he bought it for. I was thinking 750.00?

Doc

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 01:34:18 PM »
I think he said he got it from his grandfather who had paid $750 for it.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:23:50 AM »

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:10:52 PM »
At the Col. Bissel house (St. Louis) there is a socket bayonet made for a double barrell shotgun.  I always thought that was pretty neat.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
Books,

This bayonet was spring loaded. It sat on top of the shotgun, and folded back between the two barrels. There was a release mechanism, and after the barrels had been fired it could be tripped and the bayonet would swing into position.

If I had SHB's money I would have bought it for the $10,000 the antique arms expert valued it at.
-- G. K. Chesterton

-- Stephen King

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 04:20:51 PM »
Heck, I bet he would spring for two of them!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 12:36:56 AM »
Books,

This bayonet was spring loaded. It sat on top of the shotgun, and folded back between the two barrels. There was a release mechanism, and after the barrels had been fired it could be tripped and the bayonet would swing into position.

If I had SHB's money I would have bought it for the $10,000 the antique arms expert valued it at.

What?  $27.93 ???!!!

;)

I'd like to have one, too! 
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:57:20 AM »
Dutch - FWIW doubt if the barrels were cut off, but rather that the gun was purpose built that way. Muzzleloading short barreled coach guns and blunderbusses with or without bayonets were quite popular, especially in England as defense against highwaymen such as Dick Turpin, that were often the bane of traveling during the eighteenth century.
Here's a link to a single barrel flinter with bayonet:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Flintlock_Coach_Gun_1478.jpg

and a brass barreled coaching blunderbuss:
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=31237
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 10:05:59 AM »
Dutch - FWIW doubt if the barrels were cut off, but rather that the gun was purpose built that way. ...

The shotgun was built in France, however it had British proof marks on the barrels. On the show they asked the antique arms expert they called in about the proof marks. It was his theory that the someone had acquired the shotgun in France and brought it to England. In England someone had the barrels cut back at which time the gun had to be proofed.

Also, the gun was very ornate with a lot of scrollwork and gold inlay. It was a lot classier than the plain, no frills guns that are on the links you provided. I wish I could find a picture of it to post to show what I mean. The bayonets were the same though.
-- G. K. Chesterton

-- Stephen King

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 10:44:54 AM »
A bayonet on a shotgun! That's a Close Quarters Combat weapon, Cowboy style!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 11:45:28 AM »
It is interesting from a historical aspect that the hammer on the trigger release for the bayonet is almost identical to the hammers we now associate with all Western-style firearms. Would be fun to know who first made that style and promoted it down through the years til it became the 'official' style of all hammers.
I have held and shot one of the repo Flinter doubles with a bayonet on it many years ago at a 'Vous in Wisconsin, it was a hoot to shoot! I then traded some plunder for an Italian Caplock repo Blunderbuss in a small caliber, all blued. It shoots like a .410 but has a smaller bore, 28 I recall, not a 28 ga., just marked '28', and was a ton of fun when hunting Woodcock in the Fall and Rabbits in the Winter. Still have it, will have to dig it out and try it on some Cowboy Clays when I retire.
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 04:22:26 PM »
If anyone is interested the episode is to re-air tonight on the History Channel at 8:00 EST.

There is a new episode at 10:30 EST, were someone brings in an allegedly original Winchester. On the trailer for the episode the shop owner, Rick, opens the lever on the rifle when he is handed the piece, and an empty shell casing ejects out of it.
-- G. K. Chesterton

-- Stephen King

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 09:59:43 PM »
If the last fired round was a Black Powder round, it could have some serious rusting/pitting issues in the barrel!

Of course, if it were stored properly and in a very dry atmosphere, I suppose it'd only need cleaning.  I once left (by accident, I assure you!) a fired C&B pistol - my 1860 Army, uncleaned with typical fouling and gunque (a scientific term for residue) for about a year and a half!
 :o

I was in the Army and had several missions and it got put away hurriedly, then forgotten.  (I was at the range, returned home and got a message that I had been alerted and had to get back to Ft. Knox RIGHT NOW!)

:-\ :-\
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 11:36:10 PM »
They not only checked that out, at the end of the show they take it to a range and fire both barrels. However, I don't think there was any shot in the gun when it was fired.
-- G. K. Chesterton

-- Stephen King

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com