Author Topic: Nice Hat...circa 1860  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nice Hat...circa 1860
« on: January 27, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »

Title Hiram McKnight Burton
Call Number X-19667
Summary Studio portrait (sitting) of Hiram McKnight Burton. He wears a cowboy hat and suit.
Date 1860.
Notes Title supplied.
Hand-written note pinned to velvet facing reads: "This picture of Hiram Burton was taken in Denver in 1860. Hat of fine long nap beaver[,] coat fine camels hair cloth. Not a cow-boy suit."
Ambrotype is mounted in latched leather-covered wood case with decorative metal frame and velvet facing.
Case hinges are broken.
Photo Materials 1 photoprint : ambrotype ; visible oval image 7 x 6 cm. (3 x 2 1/2 in.) in case 10 x 8 cm. (4 x 3 1/2 in.)
Condition Condition: backing of ambrotype is cracked.
Copyright Copyright restrictions applying to use or reproduction of this image available from the Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library.
See Also Burton, Hiram Knight.
Men 1860-1870.
Portrait photographs.
Ambrotypes.
Imaged.
Photograph cases.
URL http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10019667+X-19667

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
Re: Nice Hat...circa 1860
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 01:25:22 PM »
Wait a minute! This is another one of those stereotype-busters, isn't it?

I keep reading that the highly turned up sides on cowboy hat brims were a 20th century thing.

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
kflach, Don't think that hat is really turned up that much, more the way it is setting on his head and tilted back. Looks like a fine hat, matter of fact I have one very much like it made by custom hat maker O'farrell in Durango. It was custom made for a cowboy, not me but I came up with it in a trade. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:39:12 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 05:03:20 AM »
It looks like a dress hat, rather than a every day hat. The guy is dressed up with no place to go.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 08:51:30 AM »
Texas Lawdog, Hey pard how's it going in Texas? Cold and lots of snow here in Kentucky.
 You know in that day and time of the photo, having his picture taken was a place to go and didn't happen many times. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:56:38 AM »
Wait a minute! This is another one of those stereotype-busters, isn't it?

I keep reading that the highly turned up sides on cowboy hat brims were a 20th century thing.

Don't believe everything you read, do more research.  That and other things you read about a lot of hat styles are often written by folks who don't like this or that style of hat. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 12:40:51 PM »
It may have not been widespread until the 20th century (so 3 hat-wearers could sit side-by-side on the bench seat in their pick-em-up truck) but I'll bet you can't find a style of hat shaping that wasn't tried back then.

This is my opinion, not something I've researched, but I've formed this opinion after talking at length with numerous fellas who DO  know hats and hat lore: Delmonico, Terry Lane, Mr. Rand, and other knowledgeable pards.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 01:32:34 PM »
Jeff, the only one I've never seen is that squared off in front brim like George Straight and most others wear today.  Of course my favorie one is this guy back in the 1880's waitin' to go to a Brooks and Dunn concert. ;)

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 04:18:14 PM »
Jeff, the only one I've never seen is that squared off in front brim like George Straight and most others wear today.  Of course my favorie one is this guy back in the 1880's waitin' to go to a Brooks and Dunn concert. ;)

;D

Yep!  I fergot about the squared front on/and those plastic (lookin') hats.  Hate 'em!  :o ::) >:(  Yeah, I know that I could prolly eat for a month with what most of them Country stars spend on those plastic - ok, heavily varnished hats, but I don't gotta like 'em.

That hat in the picture Shotgun Steve posted is fine with me.  Long nap beaver hat and camel hair cloth suit notwithstanding.  (Which, by the way, ISN'T apparent in the picture, without the hand-written note!)
 ;)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 07:18:41 PM »
I have a old Black hat much like the one in Del's picture that has the Cattleman's crease. I had it restored by Peters Bros. Hats in downtown Fort Worth. They have been the Hat business for about 80 years.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com