Author Topic: Real Cowboy  (Read 7926 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Real Cowboy
« on: January 19, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »

Very good REAL Cowboy image. This is NOT a studio prop shot. He is wearing his own boots, hat, rope, spurs, gun ( Colt ) and HUGE knife. You see so many studio prop shots with empty shell belts...not this one. He is ready and loaded....see the close-up. Also note that his pants even have fringe on them. Contrast is slightly low near his left shoulder, however the image is VERY clear and in wonderful condition. Front mark is A.P. Davis, Deposit, N.Y. ID on the back says Frank Kerr, Deposit, N.Y.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Real Cowboy
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 08:13:18 PM »
Are those belt loops on his pants?  Certainly look like it, do you have better view of picture enough to tell? 
Thanks.
French Jack

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS Spencer Shotgun Resident Expert
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 01:37:40 AM »
Its an interesting picture but what is a "real cowboy" doing in rural upstate New York?  Despite the pants, which are a bit fancy for a working cowboy, he does not have the look of a wild west show performer, just not showy enough. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:37:57 AM »

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:53:58 AM »
Only bit of info I found on the photographer
A. P. Davis lived to be over 100 years of age and did portrait photography in Deposit between 1880 and 1920. His Front Street studio was housed in a structure originally built in 1805.

IMO it's a Deposit local togged out in real cowby gear ala the "old time" photography studios around today - still a neat photo.

Cool thing - Deposit, NY is where my Dad was born - his family moved from Connecticut and settled in the area during the early 1800's
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 09:11:27 PM »
This cowboy from the Grabill Collection is virtually a deadringer for GLFMC's ole G.W. Schofield.

"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:39:14 PM »
I know GW and given his age, I just assumed that was him in his youth..., you mean it isn't?
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:16:24 PM »
Dutch;  I recognized that photo.  Found it on page 151 of Cowboys & trappings of the old west.  It describes the rider as a trail boss. 
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 12:23:01 AM »
Dutch;  I recognized that photo.  Found it on page 151 of Cowboys & trappings of the old west.  It describes the rider as a trail boss. 

He could indeed be a Trail Boss. The Collection's index describes the photo as: "'The Cow Boy'- Photograph shows side view of a cowboy on a horse, looking towards the camera. 1888"

James, I've had my suspicions about ole G. W. One of them is, I don't ever recall seeing his reflection in a mirror, and he is always wearing those smoked glasses when the sun's out!?
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 07:08:39 AM »
I think thaty G W's hair might be a little longer, but other than that, he looks purty close to me.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 08:49:10 PM »
He is what he is ...

And he makes a mean pot 'o cawfee!  Just the way coffee is described in the movie Hidalgo.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:58:33 PM »
He is what he is ...

And he makes a mean pot 'o cawfee!  Just the way coffee is described in the movie Hidalgo.

But does he have an ibrik and make Turkish Coffee, now that stuff is beyond mean, we use it to keep the night guard awake. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 09:23:02 PM »
But does he have an ibrik and make Turkish Coffee, now that stuff is beyond mean, we use it to keep the night guard awake. ;D

Never having had the pleasure of sampling anything you've made, except that mucho excellent bread some years ago, I can't say for sure, howsomever,  GW's coffee is probably nearly as strong ... and when ya have a cup you get breakfast, too!

:D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 09:33:44 PM »

Never having had the pleasure of sampling anything you've made, except that mucho excellent bread some years ago, I can't say for sure, howsomever,  GW's coffee is probably nearly as strong ... and when ya have a cup you get breakfast, too!

:D

One demitasse cup of water (4 oz) one heaping teaspoon of finely pulverized coffee, same of brown sugar and a pinch on Cardamom, bring to a foaming boil three times and drink. ;D

Surprised you didn't have one over in the big sandbox, this is the original way to drink coffee. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 09:38:47 PM »

I don't know about an ibrik or Turkish Coffee. I do know G W will pull out his camp stove and use it to brew a pot of coffee in the Ramada Inn in Paintsville, KY. That new fangled electric coffee maker that was in the room would never do for him. Peevine and I sat there just waiting for the smoke detector to go off. And while we waited we speculated about given the amount of firearms we had in the room whether or not the Paintsville PD SWAT team would be called when the smoke detector did go off.

Fortunately, the coffee got brew without incident and, as SHB mentioned, was pretty darn tasty.
-- G. K. Chesterton

-- Stephen King

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 09:41:14 PM »
I don't know about an ibrik or Turkish Coffee. I do know G W will pull out his camp stove and use it to brew a pot of coffee in the Ramada Inn in Paintsville, KY. That new fangled electric coffee maker that was in the room would never do for him. Peevine and I sat there just waiting for the smoke detector to go off. And while we waited we speculated about given the amount of firearms we had in the room whether or not the Paintsville PD SWAT team would be called when the smoke detector did go off.

Fortunately, the coffee got brew without incident and, as SHB mentioned, was pretty darn tasty.

I like that story.   ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 09:46:59 PM »
Would like to get together with some of you folks in a camp sometime, think we'd have fun and GW could have coffee duty, forgot to bring most of it ground to the GAF muster this year and I kept Rick awfully busy with my hand crank one. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 07:06:25 AM »
Ah Turkish Coffee.  You have to love the Turks who have such great thoughts devoted to Coffee

Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as death, and sweet as love

A cup of coffee commits one to forty years of friendship.

Had my first turkish coffee 25 years ago in College, good friend was a Turkish Kurd.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 08:30:12 AM »
Ah Turkish Coffee.  You have to love the Turks who have such great thoughts devoted to Coffee

Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as death, and sweet as love

A cup of coffee commits one to forty years of friendship.

Had my first turkish coffee 25 years ago in College, good friend was a Turkish Kurd.

Had my only Turkish coffee - many times - at a Greek restaurant (run by an elderly Greek couple I called Oma & Opa, which is a pet name for Grandma & Grandpa) in Fulda, formerly West Germany.

They had many flowers in vases all around the restaurant.  Upon closer inspection, I found the vases were fashioned from 105 mm Howitzer casings with lots of scrollwork and carving.  It was cool.  And the food was outstanding.

I've also had coffee from when I lived in Brasil, South America.  (We spell it Brazil;  they spell it Brasil.  Coffee was grown all around the town where I lived.  Viscosa, in the state of Minas Gerias; about 125 miles north of Rio deJanerio.  It was a college town - which is why I was there - with an exchange program with Purdue University.  The way coffee was drunk down there: fill a small cup 1/2 full of freshly harvested cane sugar (also very prevalent around town) then fill with coffee.  No moo-juice (unless preferred).  The sugar kept the strength down low enough that the resulting concoction would only remove rust from an old bumper, not rot right 'thru the lining of your stomach!
 :o
But it was surprisingly tasty ... even to an eight year old - back in 1959!  The only other thing to drink (worth drinking) was Coca-Cola.  The water was filtered ... THEN boiled before using.  Milk was basically non-existent, except for Carnation  or Pet  condensed milk.  It took me over 20 YEARS after I returned before I could drink either coffee or Coke.

;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 05:27:06 PM »
This thread got me to dig out the last of my small stash of coffee from Istanbul Windy City Joe gave me at the GAF muster, good stuff, you had to go to quick today Jeff, was going to tell you I was sittin' with one when I called you back.

Started makin' then for eye openers in camp since espresso's as I drink many of, no how no way would have been in a cosie's camp back then.  See one time I cooked for an English Gentleman, retired military that had served in the middle east.  One his huntin' trip to the Colonies he broght the Ibrik and introduced me to them and made a gift of that wonderful device when he left.  And that's the truth. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 08:50:08 PM »
I've also had coffee from when I lived in Brasil, South America.  (We spell it Brazil;  they spell it Brasil.  Coffee was grown all around the town where I lived.  Viscosa, in the state of Minas Gerias; about 125 miles north of Rio deJanerio.  It was a college town - which is why I was there - with an exchange program with Purdue University.  The way coffee was drunk down there: fill a small cup 1/2 full of freshly harvested cane sugar (also very prevalent around town) then fill with coffee.  No moo-juice (unless preferred).  The sugar kept the strength down low enough that the resulting concoction would only remove rust from an old bumper, not rot right 'thru the lining of your stomach!
  ;D

Well I'll be durned!  I lived in Sao Paulo fer a year--1965.  Yer right about that coffe, drinking that stuff would grow hair on yer chest!  It did mine, and I was only 11 years old!!  ;D
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com