Author Topic: Young Lumberjack  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Young Lumberjack
« on: January 19, 2010, 11:37:36 AM »

Slightly-larger-than 1/6 plate full length tintype portrait of an identified young lumberjack. Written beneath it in pencil in the album it came in, and also etched on the back of the plate is; "William W(albridge) Curry". Saginaw, Michigan records show that he was born in Ontario, but lived his entire life (1853-1932) in that city. Technically this is not an "occupational", as he's not posing with the classic lumberjack tools such as an axe or peavey. However, there's no doubt that his hat, suspenders, shirt, heavy boots and, above all, the red sash of the "voyageur" appropriated by the lumberjacks, mark him as one. As this was the era of the great Michigan logging boom, many young men would spend a season or two in the woods. It looks as if the moulding of the "wall" behind him doesn't meet the carpet. Perhaps this photo was taken by an itinerant photographer traveling from one logging camp to another? And what a terrific photo it is, with his confident pose and the jaunty angle of his hat. Touch of red tinting to the cheeks and sash. There's an obvious bend to the upper right corner, but otherwise in near fine, very clean condition. Uncased. Very special.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
Re: Young Lumberjack
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »
There appears to be some kind of horizontal leather strap on the inside of his left boot. Is that decorative thing or a logging thing?

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 04:42:05 PM »
I suspect there is no moulding on the wall behind him.  It's likely a painted canvas backdrop, on of several, that the photographer can use as the customers wants.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:17:55 AM »

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 05:01:41 PM »
I'm referring to the thing (horizontal lines with a shadow) on his left boot, right above the ankle.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:16:38 PM »
And I'm referring to the 7th line down beneath the photo.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com