Author Topic: The weather out West is frightful  (Read 21359 times)

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The weather out West is frightful
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2009, 02:32:33 PM »
4-T-Rod, did you just hear something?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »
4-T-Rod, did you just hear something?

He did, he heard me say you have more wimps and stupid folks out there. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 01:09:45 AM »
Del, we got more of  everything out here...'cept cold weather.     :D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:02:17 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 07:01:57 AM »
They got more earthquakes on the west coast.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 10:26:52 AM »
They got more earthquakes on the west coast.

Having been through both hurricanes and earthquakes, if I had to choose one I'd take a hurricane.  They last a lot longer, but you generally get at least 24 hours to prepare (usually a fair amount more).  That one little exception aside, the Left Coast is great!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 10:36:43 AM »
The Left Coast;  The Land of Fruits & Nuts.

http://zapatopi.net/cascadia/
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 10:58:40 AM »
Del, we got more of  everything out here...'cept cold weather.     :D

Hey, we had an earthquake about 50 miles SW of us about 10 days ago, was only 3.5, but it was an earthquake.  On the Humbolt Fault to be exact. ;D  Don't remember any hurry-cane and don't have no volcanos either.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 11:27:43 AM »
The Left Coast;  The Land of Fruits & Nuts.

Actually Ronald Reagan - himself a Californian - said California was like granola, in that "what ain't fruits and nuts is flakes."

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 11:33:01 AM »
The Left Coast;  The Land of Fruits & Nuts.

http://zapatopi.net/cascadia/

No offense intended here.  The proposed Cascadian flag looks like a cross between the Greek flag and something from the continent of Africa (the colors in the field).

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 11:37:17 AM »
Actually Ronald Reagan - himself a Californian - said California was like granola, in that "what ain't fruits and nuts is flakes."

Guess he'd know.  Please keep them there, we don't want them, Colarado didn't either. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »
Let's let the folks on the West Coast keep those earthquakes all to themselves.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2009, 08:31:53 PM »
I never been killed by an earthquake.

I don't mind keeping the 'quakes if you folks would stop exporting all your trash to California so you don't have to deal with it in your own states.  Only 11% of California residents were born here.  The rest came from Nebraska and Texas and other strange places.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 12:03:56 AM »
Visited with a friend till about 5 am Christmas morning [works at a convenience store] and watched the snow blow horizontally across the parking lot.  Had no trouble driving home.  My street has still not been plowed, but traffic has worn a pretty decent path to the highway.  It's clear today.  Still slushy yesterday.  Have two foot drifts in the driveway and the say we had 7 - 8 inches by Sat. am and we had a couple more last night.  On Christmas day I went clear to the paper in the front yard and spent the rest of the time at home! :o ;D  Only cleaned the windows on the car 5 times during the storm. >:(  I been wondering why I ain't visiting my friends in SE Georgia?? 

Had Christmas with my kids & grand kids tonight and it was GREAT!! ;D ;D ;D  Guess that answers my previous question! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 09:35:59 AM »
Bro. Bob, You can keep that snow up in KC. We're gonna have another couple of inches of snow tomorrow.

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2009, 11:20:11 AM »
Hey, we had an earthquake about 50 miles SW of us about 10 days ago, was only 3.5, but it was an earthquake.  On the Humbolt Fault to be exact. ;D  Don't remember any hurry-cane and don't have no volcanos either.

You forgot about the Valcano near Newcastel. 

So ther is no recorded history of it and it's only a native legend but they were right aboutmost things.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2009, 11:46:38 AM »
The Legend might be more interesting than the facts.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2009, 12:34:10 PM »
The Legend might be more interesting than the facts.

They usually are.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2009, 01:44:57 PM »

So ther is no recorded history of it and it's only a native legend but they were right aboutmost things.

You mean this one?  "Mount Iona [Ionia]," a Missouri River bluff northeast of Newcastle in Dixon County, had been known since the days of Lewis and Clark for suspected volcanic activity.

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/publicat/timeline/earthquakes.htm

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2009, 05:16:30 PM »

I also forgot it sometimes drifts our way: ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashfall_Fossil_Beds
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2009, 06:07:42 PM »
Happy Holidays to All and here is my 2 cents worth on this thread, FWIIW...
Since nobody from Iowa, the 'Jumping-off place' for the 'Westward Expansion' as it was called historically by many in our adopted hobby era has chimed in yet, here goes:
'Yes' we do have snow, about 2'-3' or more in places in Eastern Iowa (just like R.C.J.) down some due to the Christmas Eve melt (Blech, and double Blech!) and warm rain where Santa slid all over the place taking presents to Little People and grouchy, cranky and greedy Grandkids, and almost dislocated his hip & back slipping on the unshoveled slush & snow on the driveway and steps, and now has Bursitis, Yeouch, and I do mean YEOUCH! Guess who's name just went on the 'Naughty List'?  
'Yes' we do have ice on top of the snow due to the Christmas weekend freeze, and 'Yes' it has melted again and frozen again and 'Yes' it has snowed again, 2" last night, and 'Yes' the weather pattern has been set for this year's 'Rare storm Front' as the local Weather Weenies are calling it.
OK, so big deal, we deal with it.
My lane is 50 yards long, facing West, and we are in the middle of a 10 acre Forest Preserve, 25'-40' high tree buffer, all around.
Yup, when it snows the lane fills up and the neighbors blow it out for us as we help them on other projects. However, when it melts, there is no way the tire tracks can be scraped or shoveled or blown out short of using a Duece & 1/2 with a blade, so today, December 28, it looks like what the Pioneers saw on the way up the Oregon Trail or through the Donner Pass, Holy Moley! You got it, track trails 6"-10" deep in ice going out to a road that ain't been bladed yet. However, the Mail still runs, God Bless my Rural Driver, she is a Peach!
Now I must add this, we have no complaints nor will ever have as we are born and bred in this weather zone and so it goes, but I must praise my 2nd Son who bought his Mom a Toro electric snow broom for Christmas and an extra 50' of cord so she can have 'fun' sweeping out the slab by the drive after I use the shovel and push broom, God Bless her! So there.
Y'all have fun now, and remember, wherever you are, it is only a few short weeks til Shooting Season starts and the NCOWS Convention, and somewhere, sometime, someplace, an NCOWS Posse or local CAS club will hopefully put on a series of Buff Shoots for all of us old farts that don't shoot CAS anymore!
Best regards, good Shooting and safe driving!
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com