Author Topic: 1878 Smith & Wesson Russian Revolver ENGRAVED  (Read 9628 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1878 Smith & Wesson Russian Revolver ENGRAVED
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:37:52 AM »

Item description: * See scan - almost perfect condition. This is a scarce and extremely rare S&W / Smith & Wesson 1878 Engraved Model 3 Russian revolver 44 Russ. - 6.5" barrel. This is one of the rarest S&W firearms / guns produced by this most famoust US gun company / factory. The revolver has its original bone or ivory grips and everything is almost intact. This revolver was used by the Imperial Russian Army forces and Military Police in the East Roumelia region after the Freedom of Bulgaria from the Ottoman Turkish Empire in 1878. This is one of the nicest Smith & Wesson revolvers that I've seen for sale. Due to different International Postal regulations, this item will be shipped in two sepparate packages. The revolver is easily unscrewed in the middle section so barrel and grip part will be shipped in one package and the rest in a second package posted almost simultaneously. Absolutely scarce military / militaria collector piece and one of the greatest antique firearms / revolvers. Normally those sell at prices over $4500.

Price: $3075.78 / €0.00

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: 1878 Smith & Wesson Russian Revolver ENGRAVED
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:51:50 AM »

Item description: * See scan - almost perfect condition. This is a scarce and extremely rare S&W / Smith & Wesson 1878 Engraved Model 3 Russian revolver 44 Russ. - 6.5" barrel. This is one of the rarest S&W firearms / guns produced by this most famous US gun company / factory. The revolver has its original bone or ivory grips and everything is almost intact. This revolver was used by the Imperial Russian Army forces and Military Police in the East Roumelia region after the Freedom of Bulgaria from the Ottoman Turkish Empire in 1878. This is one of the nicest Smith & Wesson revolvers that I've seen for sale. Due to different International Postal regulations, this item will be shipped in two separate packages. The revolver is easily unscrewed in the middle section so barrel and grip part will be shipped in one package and the rest in a second package posted almost simultaneously. Absolutely scarce military / militaria collector piece and one of the greatest antique firearms / revolvers. Normally those sell at prices over $4500.
Price: $3075.78 / €0.00

See highlighted and coloured item:
  I wonder what that means ... exactly?   ???

No matter, as I can't afford it ..... but I'd love to own it!  And you can BET that I'd shoot it!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:39:39 PM »
That would be a nice "toy" to own.  It's way out of my price range though.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:18:43 AM »

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS Spencer Shotgun Resident Expert
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »
The gun just looks wrong.  Take a look at the back of the cylinder and you will see a big Liege Belgian proof mark.  Also, the barrel markings are in English, rather than Russian.  This means that it would have to be a revolver rejected by the Russians, then remarked in English (which was done) for sale on the American Civilian market which somehow made it over to Belgium for proofing.  But, the English markings are wrong, the Smith and Wesson Marks don't look anything like those shown in the photo.   For one thing, Smith and Wesson was in Springfield Mass not New York (and the guns are so marked).  Also, the hammer is the wrong shape and the shape of the lug under the barrel is wrong.  There were Belgian copies of the Smith & Wesson and I would bet that this is what this gun is.   Its not worth anywhere near $3,000 and I think the seller needs to redo his description to keep from selling it as something it is not.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 01:31:41 AM »
Interesting!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 03:29:21 AM »
Very Interesting!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 03:40:05 AM »
Very, VERY interesting!

;)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 03:47:25 AM »
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! COULD BE!

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 04:32:50 AM »
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! COULD BE!

i Si !

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 07:44:41 AM »
Just an observation here, Pards as I ain't got no dog in this hunt but have been watching the comments on all of S.S.'s visual contributions...
S.S. is no doubt pulling these pics and descriptions from present or older auction catalogues so we must take the info presented 'As Is', in other words, anyone supposedly historically-knowledgable working for the auction house could have written or rewritten a description given to him/her in order to get the item listed in a way that 'reads well' and will hopefully 'sell'. This is a given.
What makes it interesting is the vast level of expertise we see and read here when the pics and description are posted and the broad discussion that then takes places as the item and description are picked apart in minute detail.
Pity that the auction houses don't hire one of 'Us' to write the description the first time so 'We' can understand it correctly, not a bad idea, right?
Best regards and enjoy S.S.'s posts as they are always fun to look at.
'Ol Gabe

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 03:43:55 PM »
As soon as I saw the pictures I felt that something didn't look right.  The contour and shape of the revolver isn't quite correct.  To me it looked like a Belgium copy before I read the rest of the comments. ???

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Ol Gabe,

Hiring one of us - well, not me, I don't have a clue -  would defeat the purpose. The auction house wants to make as much money as possible.

I agree wholeheartedly about appreciating the 'vast level of expertise' shown around here. I'm brand new to this and don't even begin to have an eye for these things. I've learned waaaaay more from reading the critiques of Steve's pictures here than I would have learned even if the subjects of the pictures were standing right before me.

;-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com