Author Topic: Myth Busted  (Read 7006 times)

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Myth Busted
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 05:38:35 PM »
That's a good 'un, Sir Charles.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 11:59:01 PM »
I saw that episode of Mythbuster too. Only one problem with their 'busting' the 'myth'. The way they did it was ridiculous. It isn't just ft.lbs. of energy, it is also the pure suprise of having the crap knocked out of the pistol in your hand unexpectedly
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »
I take Mythbusters with a grain of salt. They often say that a myth is busted because they can't recreate the situation themselves. They said that you can't do the Robin Hood shot of shooting an arrow into the back of another arrow because they couldn't accomplish this. Yet I've seen it done by the guy on Impossible Shots on the outdoor channel. So it can be done by an expert (which I remember reading old Robin Hood was). They also busted the myth that a pair of glasses (or a bible in the pocket) couldn't save your life if you were shot by a hand gun. Yet this has happened in real life and a cop here in Iowa had his life saved when his eye glasses deflected a bullet. They also busted the myth that a falling bullet couldn't kill someone. Yet it happens dozens of times a year and a doctor on the show pointed that out.

So I wouldn't say they really bust anything, all they really do is prove they can't duplicate the event themselves.

Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:50:37 PM »

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 01:12:32 PM »
True, that is why they have Possible and Probable.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 01:58:04 PM »
Yer the BG, hear a shot, feel sensation in hand not unlike ya been hit with a lead pipe, ya PROBABLY drop the gun regardless, and in a hostage situation that is what counts.  If the BG lives to be sewed up and brought to trial, or not, it matters little.  In a non-hostage situation, ya shoot the gun, the guy lives, ya win.  Ya shoot the gun, the guy dies, well, he woulda died if ya shot him center mass, so yeah, the point is at least ya tried.  In no case is it likely ya cause him to fire, as his gun is unlikely to still be in his hand,m and if it is, the hand and/or gun will be Tango Uniform.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 371
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »
I didn't see that episode but I've shot an arrow into another. They are hanging on the wall above my head right now. Did it in 1985, they hung in the bow shop in my hometown for a few years until they shut down and they've hung on my wall since.

It can't be too impossible either since mine wasn't the only set of arrows like that at the bow shop. Another guy had a set there two and I also had a set of darts from my blow gun stuck together. I don't know what ever happened to them.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com