Author Topic: Stag Revolver Grips  (Read 16859 times)

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stag Revolver Grips
« on: December 08, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »
I seem to recall that Guns & Ammo's Phil Spangenberger (spl?) mentioned in one of his columns that stag grips didn't come into use until after the turn of the century.  I know that knife scales go back further but have never been able to find any pictures or references of stag grips in our time period.  Any thoughts?

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Stag Revolver Grips
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:19:38 PM »

Will it was my understanding that Stag Grips were offered on the 1873 Colt SAA, right from the Colt Company them selves. I have a friend that has one from the 1880's with original Stag Grips, so I know they were around.

Regards

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:38:05 PM »

Will it was my understanding that Stag Grips were offered on the 1873 Colt SAA, right from the Colt Company them selves. I have a friend that has one from the 1880's with original Stag Grips, so I know they were around.

Regards

tEN wOLVES

Interesting.  Does your friend have a letter from Colt stating that the gun came with stag grips?

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:37:37 PM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »

Will. I don't know if does or not, the grips have shrunk over the years, the gun its self is in white metal with an aged patina, it's a civilian model, with a 4 3/4" or 4 5/8",  it's also my understanding ,( sorry I can't name a book for you) that colt during the gold rush days tried to cash in on some of that by offering custom Ivory and Stag grips along with fancy engraving, I think we have all seen these guns in either books or Museums. I wish I could give you more information on this, but it's been a topic on and off now for over fifty years now, I'm sure it will come up again, If I see it before you do, I'll post it for you.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D   
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 01:36:05 AM »
Howdy

In RL Wilson's book (I realize his name is not in good graces now but bear with the info) THE PEACEMAKERS  on page 179 is a pix of KId Curry's Colt SAA serial no 14744 and it appears to have stag grips

good shootin
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 01:37:41 AM »
Spangenberger's probably right.

I always associated Stag with post-WWII production - reaching a peak during the heyday of the Western movies and TV shows, since it was dramatic.

Colt offered Ivory, Mother-of-Pearl, and different woods, as well as Hard Rubber during the Frontier era, as well as varying grades of engraving.

Colt understood 'marketing'...

Neither Kopec's 'A Study of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver', nor Sutherlands 'The Book of Colt Firearms' show any on Old West era originals.

In Cochran's 'Colt Peacemaker Encyclopedia' - their first mention is in 1952 - as being supplied by the Rocky Mountain Mineral Company, of Casper, Wyoming - for Colt, since Colt sub-contracted them out.

This dovetails with the turn of the century popularity of the horse opera, and all those sets of 'Franzite' grips as replacements for damaged originals that's doll the otherwise-tired piece up a bit.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 07:46:19 AM »
I think that stag grip panels probably came to being around the same time as the Buscadero holster. Over the years I have seen a number of 19th century Colt Single Action Army revolvers with stag grips, but they are invariably advertised as "after market" or "later additions".

Chance

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 08:17:34 AM »
Case in point...

I have a number of 'real' Colts, but the one I'm usually seen with was built in 1907 and went to Mexico with an American who fought in the 'Brigada del Norte'.

Lot of adventuresome Americans in that war...

When I got it, it had rested in a safety deposit box since the 1940's or so and it had a pair of those 'stag' Franzite grips on it, because the hard-rubber originals were on the 'worn' side.

I got the piece, 'and' both sets of grips, along with a number of other items from the grandson - immediately cleaned the weapon and the hard-rubber grips thoroughly, put 'em back on and never looked back.

The owner had said his Dad had put them on the silvered-out Colt so it'd look 'better'...

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder - and the influence of those oaters and all those 'stag' gripped revolvers must've made quite the impression on Dad, way back when - though I wonder what Grand-Dad had thought...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:47:29 PM »
Howdy

In RL Wilson's book (I realize his name is not in good graces now but bear with the info) THE PEACEMAKERS  on page 179 is a pix of KId Curry's Colt SAA serial no 14744 and it appears to have stag grips

good shootin
curley

I know of the gun you speak of.  In one of my books, which I can't seem to find,  it shows the engraved silver plated revolver.  It said that Kid Curry (aka Harvey Logan) stole the gun from a Colt Salesman he was robbing.  I am sure that it also said that it was after 1900.  He killed himself in 1904 to keep from being captured.

Will Ketchum

Madison, WI

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 09:09:30 PM »
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=31109

It does not say if these grips were added later,,or if they are contemporary with the manufacture of the revolver.

But, they do look good.

MD

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 09:53:04 PM »
Marshall,

My Schofields came (used) with Eagle Stag grips. The nice thing about them is that when it is 115+ degrees outside, they never get slippery ... and I decided long ago, anachronistic or not they are what I want on anything I shoot ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 11:27:28 PM »

This century or last, I do think a good pair of Stags can look real nice.

good shootin
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 12:50:41 AM »
Curly,,,them are super grips ! WOW is about all I can say.

MD

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 02:21:38 AM »
Curly,

The photography is a gorgeous as the grips! What nice detail on those scuplted grips!

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 03:43:54 AM »
I had a set of "Stag" grips made by Eagle on one of my ROA's .
They had obviously missed out the smoothing stage as they were very uncomfortable on recoil.
They used to rip hell out of my palms when shooting, and I was I horny handed mechanic at the time!
I have to say though, they looked really good on the s/s revolver.

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 10:13:47 AM »
Marshall,

My Schofields came (used) with Eagle Stag grips. The nice thing about them is that when it is 115+ degrees outside, they never get slippery ... and I decided long ago, anachronistic or not they are what I want on anything I shoot ....

Funny that you should mention the slippery part.  I put genuine stag grips on my Vaqueros when I first bought them in 94.  That was when they were about $50.00 a set.  The thing I didn't like was when it rained or my hands got sweaty they became very slippery.  I finally replaced them with some black plastic ones that resemble the vintage Colt grips.  These don't slip and I always liked the black grips on silver colored guns.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 10:23:38 AM »
Don't know about any other experiences ... mine were made by Eagle Grips as I said and I am guessing that they are Sambar Stag.

But I have fired shiny plastic grips that would just slip abound my hand with any recoil.

These just don't do it ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
Mine to were Ajax Sambar stag. The grips I put on are checkered and don't slip at all.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 10:34:39 AM »
I had a first model S&W Russian (Stolen from me years ago) that had stag grips.  It was nickel plated and had the barrel cut off (crookedly) at about 4 1/2 inches.  The left side was badly corroded as if someone had carried it shoved in their waistband for a long, long time.

I have no way of knowing if the grips were original or not, but they looked to be as old as the pistol.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 10:45:28 AM »
My grips, in fact the entire pistols, are in the if-it-works-don't-fix-it category.

They were previously owned by a very experienced shootist and he had worked them over, added the grips, put a brass front sight and opened the back sight. They are tack drivers as they are and I could only 'improve' them to their detriment ....

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com