Manufacturer of 2nd and 3rd Generation Colt BP

Started by Capt. Montgomery Little, October 16, 2009, 09:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Montgomery Little

So, does anyone here know who manufactured these guns? I  have been told that Uberti actually made the parts and they were assembled here in US.

Deadeye Don

Others will be along shortly I am sure.  I have heard that the Signature Series were bascially Uberti guns, but that the Generation guns were not. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Flint

Actually the other way around.  The Second Gen guns were made from Uberti parts by Iver Johnson, I believe the small parts  like screws were USA made.

Third Gen, Signature Series were made from a mixture of Italian and American parts, I recognized ASM arbors and frames, for instance, the are different in having a series of grooves cut, rather than the helical cut grease/clearance groove.  They were assembled by a company in Brooklyn set up by Anthony Imperato, called "Colt Blackpowder Arms Company", but it was not part of Colt.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

St. George

St. George's Notes XVI - 'Real' BP Colts...
« on: April 07, 2005, 10:38:02 AM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many C&WAS folks carry and use cap and ball revolvers as a part of their Impression - and with good reason - there were thousands available - beyond what was carried during 'the War', and brought home by returning veterans.

After the Civil War - they were available through the sales of Government surplus, and for someone headed  West - they were fairly cheap.

The big 1860 Army Colts - and the smaller 1851 Navys - and all of the rest - saw service far past the their initial Military service and well into the Cartridge Era - many eventually being converted for cartridge use, after the Rollin White patent for bored-through cylinders elapsed.

Of course - this was true of many other guns - but the Colt was more or less ubiquitous - most likely because of its military connotation and the subsequent familiarity with it.

In the early 1970's - Colt decided to reproduce much of their original product line - starting with the famed 'Squareback' Model 1851 Navy and continuing on to the big Dragoons - beautifully-made guns, all - with the rich Colt Blue, and distinctive color-case-hardening.

Much has been speculated about as to the 'actual' manufacturers of these fine revolvers - and this link will illuminate much of the history behind their recent production.

A note - this article really concerns the 'true' 2d Generation Colt Black Powder revolver.
Though the  later 'Signature Series' is touched upon - it doesn't seem to have the 'cachet' of being a 'real' Colt...

The article was written by Dennis Adler - who wrote "Metallic Cartridge Conversions" - a worthwhile book for the folks interested in the time frame immediately following the Civil War.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/cap_ball/index.html

I'm sure you'll find it of interest.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com