Author Topic: Bandoliers/Shoulder Holsters  (Read 6983 times)

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bandoliers/Shoulder Holsters
« on: August 25, 2009, 06:31:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure they had bandoliers back in the 1860-1899 period. I haven't seen anyone wear any of their ammo belts like that in any pictures of NCOWS events yet. Is that a safety issue or have I just not been looking hard enough.

Also, I came across a "black powder shoulder holster" at Cabelas that actually lists my gun as something it fits:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_210179&id=0006177214091a

I'm not planning on buying it any time soon so that's not an issue, but for future reference, how would I research whether this type of thing is period correct and who would have used it? If it was period correct, are there any rules about using shoulder holsters in NCOWS - perhaps because of safety issues?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
Re: Bandoliers/Shoulder Holsters
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:37:16 PM »
Actually, one of our Executive Committee wears a combination bandolier/holster when he shoots. Does quite well with it.

For the answer on some of your questions, let me ask if you have been to the NCOWS website and read the By-laws, rules, etc. yet? This will clear up or at least point you towards some of these things. Yes, shoulder holsters are covered, basically the 90 degree sashay so that the body, and hence the muzzle points downrange before pulling/or reholstering any sidearm in a crossdraw situation.
As to the period correctness, I'll let others who own the Packing Iron book respond. But from what you've posted as far as shooting a NMA cap'n'ball, that shoulder holster would be a late period, into the 1890's or later I would think. It will make an interesting story why your persona clung to their Remington c'n'b long enough to buy a new concealable rig for it late in the time period. ;)
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 07:24:50 PM »
Answers to an awful  lot of your questions can be easily found in the 'back pages' of the 'NCOWS' forum and the 'Historical Society' forum.

Same's true in the Time-Life series 'The Old West' and many, many other references found at your local Public Library.

In these references, you'll find a marked difference between the 'real' Old West and the 'reel' Old West, and you'll soon see that anything seen in the 'John Ford Reference Library' bears little resemblance to what was worn, carried and used during the era.

Ask them to get you a copy of Rattenbury's 'Packing Iron' on an Inter-Library Loan.

The cap and ball revolver was common after the Civil War - but was fast superseded by a cartridge revolver, since it proved more reliable and weatherproof to the user who would be carrying it.

A cap and ball may've seen service in a desk drawer - for the townsman.

The shoulder holster came into popularity in the very late 1880's - early 1890's, for the most part - the era when the 'Wild West' had become 'tamed' and open carry was looked down upon by the up-and-comers who saw it as an anachronism.

Of course, open carry never went away - but in town - there were laws against it and that was the heyday of the pocket revolver and the shoulder holster.

Again - look through 'all' of the 'back pages' of the two forums - once in awhile, the headings can be misleading, but questions on clothing, weapons, time frames, et al, - have been asked and answered and referenced,  and many include links to sutlers and suppliers.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:25:37 AM »

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:42:41 PM »
I dabbled with bandoleers for a while.  I found they didn't allow correct rifle or shotgun weld for me.  Also, you need to balance where the ammo is placed.  If you don't have it balanced, the heavy side will tend to migrate down and interfere with your strong side draw.

Our old friend Doroteo Arango Arámbula is probably the most famous for the use of what his troops call "Las Cananas".  My friend Rudy Lozano makes a great reproduction of Doroteo's "Las Cananas".  Take a gander over at Black Hills Leather.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:52:25 AM »
As to bandoleers - the only time they're seen on Americans is when those men are photographed in the service of one side or the other during the Mexican Revolution - and that began in 1910 - somewhat out of our stated time frame.

Villa's Dorados certainly used them for their 7mm Mausers, Remington Rolling Blocks, and their various .30-30 carbines.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 11:40:46 AM »
So I guess I could summarize this as - it's not a case of them being 'not legal' in NCOWS, it's just that they tend to be a bit impractical or out-of-character for many people?

St. George, This probably sounds stupid, but when you first mentioned "back pages" I thought you were referring to a child board. I looked for it but couldn't find it. Since I can't find one with that name, am I correct in thinking you just mean checking the older posts?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »
Insofar as a bandoleer is concerned - they were seen on Americans during the Mexican Revolution and on those soldados who were fortunate to've carried a rifle or carbine.

In many instances, the women (soldaderos) were seen photographed with them, as well - but these photos all date 'after' the turn of the century.

I've handled a number of originals, and some had little protective flaps, most had sewn leather loops - and all seemed to fit 7mm or .30-30 Winchester.

If you were to wear one - your explanation would be most interesting...

As to the 'back pages' - you're right - they're the older posts - so start with the first one and see how different threads unfold.

Incidentally - I've looked for Mexican Revolution stuff for some time, now - there's a myriad of interesting things - but none of the revolvers I've seen were cap and ball.

There were a scant few well-worn Conversions - but most were built as a straight cartridge weapon, with Colts and Smith & Wesson Double Actions predominant.

There was a mix of other manufacturers, naturally - and calibers galore.

I'd imagine that this was because it was far more convenient to carry ammunition that wasn't readily susceptible to moisture, but being the Ordnance Procurement Officer for the Brigada del Norte must've been a helluva job...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 04:26:55 PM »
Thanks for the clarification!
 :)