Author Topic: Blue Jeans  (Read 7769 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Blue Jeans
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 06:47:03 PM »
Major 2, Do they have Big People sizes?
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
If you really want a "blue jean", take a gander over at Hamilton Dry Goods (Mr. Hamilton is an NCOWS member).  He sells a replica 1873 Levi blue jean that is period correct and more importantly  . . . very comfortable.

As noted above, most 1870 contemporaries who wore blue jeans were either miners, or farmers.

I don't have a persona based in any time or reality.  I'm just Pancho, "the guy who finds neat, cheap stuff on eBay and wears it to NCOWS matches".  Soon, my main match guns will be 1890's revolvers, 1880's shotgun, & 1860's rifle. 
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »
Wools and the heavy canvas are both PC, I wear mostly canvas and some ot the other cotton materials of the period, reason is cost, but I wear the clothes all the time, not just a couple times a month.  I've got some wools, but tend to wear them more at ren-actments, the heavy wools help keep me cool on 90+ degree days when I spent 12-15 hours slaving over a hot campfire fixin' stuff for folks to eat.  Also a little safer around fires, I hate it when the cook catches on fire and it's me. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:41:41 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 07:24:14 PM »
I will be standing by with the fire extinguisher!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 435
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 07:40:46 PM »
Major 2, Do they have Big People sizes?

They come un-hemed @ 36" and I seem to recall waist up to @ 46" or 48"

The have the Cotton in a heavy weigh called double fill ..it about 11-12oz Canvas (gray & brown)
and they have lighter Cotton ( bleached cotton ) this will Dye to another color if you like (so will the gray Double Fill )
They have wool  & Corduroy but only in Black or Blue as I recall.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 07:48:49 PM »
I will be standing by with the fire extinguisher!

Great, no I will have to research fire extingushers and see if I can come up with a PC one. ;D

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Cactus Rope

• Cactus Rope
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »
Great, no I will have to research fire extingushers and see if I can come up with a PC one. ;D

Del,
I believe a full bucket of water close by should do the trick. I believe from my fire fighter history that would be pretty PC.
NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

"Every oncet in a while, you have to step in it to learn the lesson."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 08:54:06 PM »
Del,
I believe a full bucket of water close by should do the trick. I believe from my fire fighter history that would be pretty PC.

Truth be know, if I'm on fire I don't care if it's PC. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
Pants on fire ...
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 12:14:42 AM »
I remember when I went through Arctic Survival School at Eilson AFB (Fairbanks Alaska).

It was negative 65 without a chill factor. We were all praying for a breeze ... anything below -65 and they brought you out of the woods and back to school.....

We were sleeping in snow caves that brought it 'up' to around 32 degrees ... relatively balmy compared to outside .... and you wouldn't want to get it any warmer or the snow would melt and ice up and not 'breathe' and carbon monoxide would build up....

But back to on fire ... the standard uniform was long johns a flight suit under and insulated flight suit under 'iron pants' and a mtching arctic parka with the hood pulled up so that it would warm the air before you breathed it in  ... negative 65 air can freeze your lungs so quick you don't feel it til it is too late.

Anyway, so there I was, as close to the fire as I could possibly be without being in it ... then I began to smell burning nylon .... started looking around to see what it was .... what is was was ME! My iron pants were on fire and it was so cold I didn't even feel the extra heat ... had to go roll in a snow bank .... LOL
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 08:44:21 AM »
Del, I'm glad to know that you're not gonna let yourself burn up, by looking for a PC fire extinguisher.

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2009, 08:52:59 AM »
   Speaking of Gohn Bros. Years ago (25-30) I got a very high quality hat form them I still wear.    jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 09:05:20 AM »
My problem is that most of these places don't make pants or shirts in my size, Jarnigan's quoted me a price of over 100 bucks for a pair of plain ole cotton pants.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 02:26:02 PM »
TL ....try  Jas Townsend
http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_4&products_id=461

emailed you the link also  ;)

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »
I'm annoyed - I didn't change anything but hadn't got any notifications on this thread in a couple of days. I thought it had died.

So much food for thought (on the topic, not on the notifications)!

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »
There has been some server glitches.