Author Topic: Blue Jeans  (Read 7768 times)

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Blue Jeans
« on: August 19, 2009, 12:17:41 PM »
I've got some old faded Levis that are extremely comfortable, but they've been put out of action due to some worn spots/holes in the knees. I could easily cut off the belt loops and add buttons and wear 'em with suspenders that I already have. I know the zippers wouldn't be period correct but other than that, how far off would I be?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
Re: Blue Jeans
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 12:21:32 PM »
The old 501 button fly jeans are PC, remove the belt loops and the hip pockets.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:24:06 PM »
Where do you put your wallet?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:39:07 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 12:25:34 PM »
Yep, but buy the un-washed new ones because they will show where everything removed was on pre-washed and any that's been worn.

Only remove the left one.  Also needs the belt in back to be right.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:36:08 PM »
I don't understand - if I remove the belt loops, what belt in back?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »
Kevin, After you buy all this stuff. you don't have money left. so you don't need a wallet.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 12:48:36 PM »
LOL!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 01:27:27 PM »
The cinch belt that the Levis and most pants of the time has on them:

Have you done any research?
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Yuma Kid

• NCOWS Editor (The Shootist Magazine)
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John "Yuma Kid" Irons
  • SASS #: 31302
  • NCOWS #: L129
  • GAF #: 767
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 01:38:32 PM »
Kflach,
Levi's would probably only be appropriate if you are protraying a Miner or possibly a Farmer.  A cowboy would wear wool trousers as would any towny prosona.  Jeans on Cowboy's is a 20th Century concept.
Yuma
Keep Yer Powder Dry!

NCOWS #L129,  G.A.F. # 767, SASS #31302, NRA Life Endowment, Lancaster County Bounty Collection Agentcy #29

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 01:44:11 PM »
For your first shoot don't worry too much about it.  Like your guns and leather you don't want to spend a lot of money on your clothes until you figure out your persona.  Just make an effort to look as right as you can without going to a lot of expense.  The Ten Horn people will welcome you no matter how you are dressed, of this I'm sure.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 02:36:54 PM »
I haven't done any research - this is just a question so I can come "a little closer" for my first match. Will Ketchum nailed it!

I'll hit the thrift stores in the coming weeks but since I'm getting rid of that set of jeans anyways it seemed it would be a simple thing to do (cut off the belt loops and add suspender buttons) while watching TV some night this week. My wife has lots of fabric for bandanas so that's an easy thing, too.  If it's appropriate and I look right 'from a distance' I'll do it. If it doesn't help anything -  I'll wear regular Levis for this first match.

At the moment I've got the time to think about this stuff (and I'm enjoying it immensely!) so I'm asking away. By next Monday my work will be insanely busy again and you probably won't hear from me as much.

P.S. The Ten Horns have already made it *very* clear that they'll welcome me matter how I'm dressed. Absolutely no doubt about that!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 02:57:06 PM »
Kevin, That's the bottom line. New folks are always welcome.

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 03:19:32 PM »
...but since I'm getting rid of that set of jeans anyways it seemed it would be a simple thing to do (cut off the belt loops and add suspender buttons) while watching TV some night this week...

You might try this; remove the belt loops and the back left pocket. Dye the jeans a dark color and dye the removed pocket as well. Then use material from the removed pocket to make a cinch belt.

Most importantly though, enjoy your first shoot!
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
I have what may be a dumb question, but why go to all that work to show up at a first shoot, just wear the jeans as is, since it's pretty well agreed you won't be tossed out on your ear.  Study outfits and then do some deciding on the direction you want to go on an outfit and then just work on doing it right from the start.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »
An added:

When you get ready to buy a proper pair of the 19th century pants, remember, they fit higher on your body than jeans and modern pants.  Rule of thumb is two sizes bigger than modern pants and for those who are even larger above the waist, get an honest measurement just below your belly button and use that for waist size.  yep they'll feel big no matter what, but they will look right and the suspenders and the belt on back holds them up.

To many newbies try to wear them the same size as modern pants, it don't work.  I always insist a newbie go in and try on, then I have them come out and show them the problem and get them a bigger size to try.  .  Saves them coming back or even worse washing them and not being able to return them.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 435
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 04:25:30 PM »
I have what may be a dumb question, but why go to all that work to show up at a first shoot, just wear the jeans as is, since it's pretty well agreed you won't be tossed out on your ear.  Study outfits and then do some deciding on the direction you want to go on an outfit and then just work on doing it right from the start.

That's really wise question...

A pair of preiod Pants ..say... from WAH maker,  COWs, Texas Jack, etal will run in the $60 -90 range..
Not so great on budget...there are a brand of South American CAS pants in the $39 range.

But the trick..is Amish..Gohn Brothers for one ...Wool , Cotton even Cordaroy as materials about $18...
I wear a pair of Broadfall cotton Drill , they came Med. Brown ...I darken them some with Rit Dye Dark Brown
Peroid Correct...
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 04:57:30 PM »
"I have what may be a dumb question, but why go to all that work to show up at a first shoot, just wear the jeans as is, since it's pretty well agreed you won't be tossed out on your ear."

It's not a dumb question at all, and here's the honest answer: it's all about the fun. I have a long term 'look' that I'm researching. It'll take me a while to figure it out and acquire all the pieces. When I've got it down, that'll be fun. In the meantime, it'll be more fun to dress "approximately" period correct than it would be to look completely 21st century. Therefore if I can figure simple and inexpensive ways to get less 21st century, that will make it more fun during the short run.

I know there's no rush, but I've got a bit of time over the next few nights that I could easily spend on modifying a pair of pants (if I can find ones I already have that were suitable) or making a bandana (both my wife and daughter sew and have tons of different kinds of fabric), so that's simple and inexpensive.

It sounds like messing with the jeans isn't going to really get me much closer to looking authentic, but until I asked here I didn't know. I'm really grateful for ya'lls willingness to share information. Acquiring this knowledge has been fun whether I end up with a bandana and pants for this weekend or not (#1 priority for this weekend is a hat!).

What's really amazing is that when I first heard of NCOWS and it's emphasis on historical accuracy I wasn't too sure about that, but now that I've started looking at it seriously and learning things from ya'll I've been finding it quite interesting. My wife is flabbergasted. "...But Kevin, you've *never* cared about clothes before!" were her exact words last night. Ya'll better be careful or I'll become a real hard-core NCOWS fanatic. <big grin>

It's all about the fun!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 04:57:51 PM »
Major, you are thinking of Frontier Classics which are made in Gutamala.  I hate to say it, but the quality of them is much better than the US made Wah's.  Which are better than Scully. (Scully owns the Wah Maker name and uses it for their US made clothing.)  Having worn out quite a few pair of both I can say I'm a learned opinion on them. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »
Off topic of blue jeans - but if you eventually want to move towards a wool pant I have found that Blockade Runner offers a fair bargain in very well made medium weight 100% wool pants. They are correctly made, machine sewn and have hand sewn button holes. The buttons are OK although you may want to replace them. They are available in solid colors and go for $65. They wear well and will last you a long time. Once established choose wisely and you may buy but one pair (not that any of us has bought one of anything).

You can view them at:

www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg11b.html

Others may disagree, but I wear wool pants, have on several occasions worn them over at least three days in extreme heat and humidity and found them surprisingly not uncomfortable or burdensome. They scream PC and look awful good in pictures rumpled up and hanging about your boot top (if you are rude enough to wear your pants inside your boots like Teddy Blue).

All this worry and consideration is a blast isn't it? :D

And it never ends.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 435
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 05:50:36 PM »
Thanks Del... Guatemala is correct ..Did not remember the Frontier Classic label...
Guatemala is S. America ...I think , yeah! south of here anyway.

I had a pair of Wah's Nail Head striped Pants (Black & Gray) paid 89 bucks for them.... ::) a fool and his money soon parted.
I wore them twice.... I think either the thread was rotten or material was... they would come un-seemed in unlikely places
and separate. Sure I rode in them, but I have in my Wool CW era trousers for years and note have seems pull.

I mention Gohn Brothers…here is a testimonial

1836 Conner Prairie Indiana, one of the premier living history museums in the country; spent a lot of Eli Lilly money and researched the  Gohn
Brothers pants in both the double fill blue (most call grey) denim and the bleached cotton and found them correct to 1836 in Conner Prairie.
The styling is correct, the material is correct.  They are particularly appropriate with the light common Mule Ear boots
or a pair of Jefferson boots.
They are machine sewn, but, that doesn't bother me as rooms full of
seamstresses stitching 22 to the inch are real hard to find these days.
  The pants sold by Gohn Brothers are about as close as any you can get to what was being traded without the aid of a custom seamstress or tailor who've done their research.

Note:
Order them without the pliers pocket or you may be surprised.  They come without buttons/ but with button holes.
On, the Bleached Cotton I use Antler buttons, on the stamped steel or Pewter.

I've worn CW era wool Cavalry renforced Trousers for 30 years .Yes, I've reenacted that long, No not the same pair
but I did get some real good wear out of all of them.
BTW Gohn Brothers has raised the price thier pants are now $22, I bought my pair at $18 must have been 8 years ago.
Still going strong, and I wear them often to Ride...or to shoot.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com