Author Topic: Cheap Cowboy Hat  (Read 43489 times)

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cheap Cowboy Hat
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2009, 03:44:15 PM »
Pancho, you've nailed it! I've found that site to be quite interesting.

Offline DarbyFett

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2009, 08:45:32 PM »
Darby,

Wool hats are more economic, but no great long term investements.  They will soften and shrink if worn in the rain.  Also, in my experience they tend to shrink slightly over time.

Beaver felt is much more durable and handles moisture much better.

If you buy the wool hat and you plan to stay in cowboy action shooting for some time, very likely you will be headed back to the store at some point to replace the wool with a felt hat.

Pancho

Thank you! I have also been invited to participate in a group south of Dallas called "Marrow Bone Springs", that in conjunction with my desire to camp in the old style on my families property makes me think I should spend the extra money and go with something long term.

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2009, 08:45:37 AM »
Looks like quite a few anglos wore sombreros..at least in that Ranger Company.
Neat photos for sure. Thanks for posting it Pancho.

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 01:46:33 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2009, 10:15:20 AM »

Shotgun Steve

Yeah, thanks, I'd never seen most of them, perhaps they were more common on Anglos( or what ever the heck we want to be called today) than what I'd thought.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2009, 10:53:12 AM »

Shotgun Steve

If you spend enough time out in the Texas summer sun, those dang sombreros start to make lots of sense.  We have more than a few guys in our club that adopt a traditional looking straw or palm sombrero for the summer shooting season.  They don't dress vaquero or charro, just normal period cowboy clothes and a sombrero.   I use a Sunbody Charro hat myself.  It's the coolest summer hat I own and not very expensive either.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2009, 11:56:12 AM »
You guys with plenty of hair don't need to worry about your head getting blistered. Them Straw hats keep my bald head cool and shaded to keep from getting blistered.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 435
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2009, 03:09:05 PM »
I'd like to chime in with a few Photos ...These fellows arn't CowBOYS
We call them Cow Hunters or Crackers....

First up is the Fredrick Remington painting of "Bone" Mizell circa 1883 or abouts.

second are a grouping of 4 Cow hunters...note # 3 ( the so called Gus crease ) # 1 appears to wear straw and  sombrero-ish. You will notice the bull whips in the hands of two of the Crackers, used in the scrub where a rope lasso was less than effective.
 You will also notice 3 of the horses are the smaller Cracker breed.  In the right background, if you look closely you'll see the log brasures and palmetto thatched hut of a typical cow camp. Circa 1887

lastly A Lumber Crew ..showing other popular head coverings ( note the Immigrent caps or Newsboy's or 8 piece caps there are about 2 Doz names for this style of cap ....This photo dates to 1880's as well , taken in Clare County ,Michigan
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2009, 05:03:46 PM »
Thanks Major, a part of history few remember.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2009, 03:52:34 PM »
I found a hat I could afford and liked. I had them steam out the factory crease on the top and make it like an open crown. That actually made it look kind of used, which I think adds to it.

Delmonico has posted pictures of two Palm hats in a couple of places in this thread. The top one is a plantation hat (I think it's officially a Sunbody "Sam Houston"model). It has kind of a round rim on the top and the overall profile is flat on top. I like that look. Is there an easy way to make my open crown look like that without special equipment?

I like my hat "as is" but it's occurred to me that if it was easy, I'd seriously consider doing that to it.

I realize the odds are that it isn't easy...

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »
Steam it, push the crown down and then push it up in the middle and form it with steam to clean it up.  You won't be able to get that tight of one with out a block though.  Still it will match many from the period.  measure from the top of your ears to the top of your head to see how far you can go with out the crown hitting the top of your head. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2009, 09:39:17 PM »
It's wool. Will it hold up to repeated steaming (in other words if I try it and don't like the results am I going to totally mess it up and not be able to get it back where it is)?

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2009, 10:58:35 PM »
What size ya wear pard?I have a 7 1/2 i could fix up fer ya.Here are a few ive' done.Gun"Click" Rick originals ;D Shaped by me ;)

Stole this one from the Duke

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2009, 11:16:22 PM »
It will hold up fine, although wool hats need more stiffener and needs stiffened more often.  Can be bought in an aresol can at a good western store, but can be mad much cheaper than that by using pure white natural shellac and denatured alcohol, about a 50-50 mix so it will spray in a spray bottle.  never use hair spray or anything else despite what some folks will say.  That suff leaves a sticky mess on top, the other goes into all the hat fibers.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2009, 09:11:27 AM »
GunClick Rick,
The crown on that darker brown hat on the right is exactly what I'm talking about. I wear a 7 3/8  or 7 5/8 hat, so although I appreciate your offer I'll have to pass until I get a little less big-headed. To be honest, that may be a while; have you ever heard of a modest Texan? <grin>

Your hats look great! Do you do that by hand? My wife has a professional steamer so I might actually might be able to pull it off.

Delmonico,
Thanks for that info. You are an incredible source of information and I've appreciated your sharing it with me. I'm new to this stuff so I don't know much. However, if you ever need to know anything about Mac computers, how to record, edit, process music in a recording studio, how to create videos and animations, how people process and communicate information, or anything else that I know a bit about, don't hesitate to PM me and I'm more than willing to share!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2009, 09:27:06 AM »
Rick,

I really like the grey 'Duke' hat ... and I wear a 7 1/2 ... so I will take a donation anytime ... *S*

I might be tempted to put a yellow calvary cord where the hat band is though....

I know it is hollywood, but I always wanted a grey cowboy hat with a yellow calvary cord .... LOL
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2009, 11:58:47 AM »
Kflach.....You need to be real careful about the hat you buy for NCOWS use, if that is the direction you are going. Several of the hats shown would be frowned upon at an NCOWS match. Do your research for a period correct hat...before you buy.

Hey......do you know why the cowboys curl their hats upon the sides? so then can get four in the front seat of a pick up truck ;D ;D ;D

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2009, 12:13:33 PM »
Something I've always wondered about, and maybe one'a ya'll can comment:  It's hard to tell in contemporary photos, since people shoved their hats back on their heads in order to show their faces prevent shadows, but it looks to me like an awful lot of hats had pencil rolls on the brims. Anyone know for sure?

PS: Rick, what color/style is the 7 1/2?  That's my size.  ;)

Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2009, 12:21:49 PM »
OCB, my hat is NCOWS compliant as it currently is. My understanding is that a crown similar to a Plantation hat is PC as well. That's the only change I'm considering.

Offline Terry Lane

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2009, 12:57:26 PM »
Mr. Yellowhammer, among other methods, a pencil roll or kettle curl was used (and is used today) to retain brim shape (flat) on unstiffened hats or for that matter, cheap felt hats. Thus many in the photographs you refer to had a brim curl of some type.
Terry Lane, Nebraska Territory,
Nebraska's Official Hon. Col. Wm. F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody
Grand Army of the Frontier Department of the Missouri Chief of Scouts

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »
Also the ribbion bound edge also helps stiffen the brim.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com