Author Topic: Cheap Cowboy Hat  (Read 43488 times)

Offline Cole Bluesteele

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cheap Cowboy Hat
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2009, 10:18:37 AM »
Kflach,

Head down to the bayous on the coast and you'll meet a bunch of them.  Was dove hunting with a boy from El Paso and he saw one swimming in the water. Poor boy thought it was a beaver!  Until he saw the tail that is.  Them things can get real big.

Cole

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2009, 11:19:28 AM »
I love that "Dickens" hat!

This week I'm just looking for something simple and easy to get started in CAS so I'm not worrying about long term quality. I have some definite ideas for the future so all these tips and this information will be *very* useful as time progresses.

And perhaps most importantly, now I know that a Nutria is a water rat  - which obviously refers to a type of politician.

I'm glad they're good for something.

<grin>

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »
Good info is handy to have, hats are one item a lot of folks do not understand and it's easy to get burned, price does not always reflect quality.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 01:24:38 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »
Ultimate cheap hat:

I bought this about a decade ago at a Army/Navy surplus store for less than $5....

The bottom line is that fellow shooters understand that a new guy (or FNG in military speak) is going to be trying to absorb the $2K reduction in funds of just getting the weapons, leather gear and basic outfit. For most of us, that was not too long ago.

The moral of this story is get something together that is not an insult to the past and get shooting!!

The other thing is that, once you is involved with a group, you get to know whare the good deals are from other people who are shopping for the same thing, and in your neighborhood.

Also, things like spurs and all the paraphenalia tend to turn over, and one man's getting rid of an unwanted thing becomes another man's score!

So, best wishes and get shooting!!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2009, 11:52:50 AM »
If anyone wants to buy a hat that's really wrong, I recommend this one:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2009, 11:55:12 AM »
Forgot to add the hat pic ....

BTW, I put an old Bergwacht (German Mountain Rescue) pin on the hat years ago to keep from loosing it ...  I have never had one commet about it ... so again, folks just want you out shooting with them.
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »
Del, That looks like a Charlie One Horse special.  I guess ya need to get a matching vest and some hot pink chaps to really set it off!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2009, 12:22:04 PM »
Hot pink chaps? My understanding is that they'd hang you if you wore stuff like that here in Texas...

<grin>

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2009, 12:23:31 PM »
Hot pink chaps? My understanding is that they'd hang you if you wore stuff like that here in Texas...

<grin>

That hat was made in Texas. ::)

Yep Tex, a Charlie One Horse. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2009, 12:31:29 PM »
It takes a special person to really carry that look off! Maybe the Cowboy in the Village People?
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2009, 12:33:32 PM »
I'm not "special" enough to pull that off - that's for sure!!

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2009, 01:30:39 PM »
How about the straw or palm leaf sombrero??......Were they seen much in the southwest?
I have seen several photos but never took enough interest before to date the pictures.
They ranged in size from small to the large mariachi type sombrero. Are any of these hats
true to the period? Thanks in advance Pards.

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »

These two palm leaf's from my earlier post are very good, sombreros might be seen to some extent along the border, but you don't see many pictures of Caucasian's wearing them much.  My guess would be a lot of racial prejudice, whites not wanting to be mistaken for being Mexican.    Almost all if not all pictures I've seen with the exception of Roy Bean seem to be taken in the revaloutionary era in Mexico.  Just an opinion, but bears some thought.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »
 That makes sense to me Del. Thanks for the input!!

Shotgun
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »
JD, Jackalopes are what us no goods down south of the Medicine Line make hats out of we try to sell in Tejas. ::) ;)

I'd pay damn good money for an authentic jackalope hat, 200X, and the horns mounted on the sides!
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2009, 02:28:48 PM »
I'd pay damn good money for an authentic jackalope hat, 200X, and the horns mounted on the sides!

I'll ask our buyer at work tonight the cost, I'd guess Charley One Horse has them in stock. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2009, 02:44:25 PM »
I thought I'd seen some pictures of early Texas Rangers wearing sombrero-ish looking hats, but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw them and I certainly don't remember the dates. It seems to me that the article was talking about one specific company of Rangers that was stationed near the border.

Of course, as new as I am to this, the article could have been referring to Mexican double loop holsters instead of hats and I probably wouldn't have known any better.

<grin>

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »
Their hats were probably open crowns and with the brims turned up. They might resemble sombreros.

Offline lethal larry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »
you can go to river junction trade company and get one of the "Scout" hats in lower quality for under $100. I got one and wear it frequently for both SASS and NCOWS. Good looking hat with an open crown and wide brim to protect from the Texas sun.
"Clinging to" my Wife, Guns, Bible, cats and goat... and proud of it!

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2009, 03:26:27 PM »
I thought I'd seen some pictures of early Texas Rangers wearing sombrero-ish looking hats, but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw them and I certainly don't remember the dates. It seems to me that the article was talking about one specific company of Rangers that was stationed near the border.

Of course, as new as I am to this, the article could have been referring to Mexican double loop holsters instead of hats and I probably wouldn't have known any better.

<grin>

You might be referring to Ranger pictures from George Baylor's site:

http://www.curtrich.com/gs.txrangcost2.html

He's done a great deal of research into 1880's Texas Ranger dress and gear.  Great pictures on that site.  And yes . . . some Rangers wore sombreros.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com