Author Topic: Rifle sling on 1873 Winchester...  (Read 14077 times)

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rifle sling on 1873 Winchester...
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:22:47 PM »
Is a sling ever considered an appropriate atachment to a 1873 Winchester?

I have seen one, in an 1870's era picture, of a 1860 Henry, slung on a guys shoulder. Other than that, I haven't seen anything about old timers using slings.

The reason I'm asking is that I have an arm, surgicall disabled. Carrying the rifle sometimes becomes hard to do because of the loss of use and the missing muscles, make the shoulder ache after a little while.

Bill

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Rifle sling on 1873 Winchester...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:57:07 PM »
I have a russet-colored Henry-style sling (Rich Bachmann, Old West Reproductions, Florence, MT) with hook-and-eye Winchester sling swivels on mine.  Maybe Rick has those, too, or you can get them from Dixie Gun Works.

The rear eye screws into the butt stock on the bottom about half way between the toe and the rear of the lever.  The front has a stud that goes through a hole drilled through the nose cap on the bottom and has a washer that fits over the stud.  I had mine spot welded on. Not sure how you'd attach it if you had a carbine with a barrel band instead of a nose cap.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 03:06:11 PM »
I have a russet-colored Henry-style sling (Rich Bachmann, Old West Reproductions, Florence, MT) with hook-and-eye Winchester sling swivels on mine.  Maybe Rick has those, too, or you can get them from Dixie Gun Works.

The rear eye screws into the butt stock on the bottom about half way between the toe and the rear of the lever.  The front has a stud that goes through a hole drilled through the nose cap on the bottom and has a washer that fits over the stud.  I had mine spot welded on. Not sure how you'd attach it if you had a carbine with a barrel band instead of a nose cap.

Thank you for the answer.

I'll follow your suggestions. Again thank you...

Bill

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:29:07 AM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:47:04 PM »
Hope it works for you. Let me know.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Freedom

• Top Active Citizen
    • 7X Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »
If you don't want to drill holes into your gun, a good way to attatch  is with a leather butt cuff for the stock and a tie around the barrel or magazine tube.
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:58:34 PM »
Stillwater,
you're getting some helpful responses so far by Pards, but I'd be a bit cautious. The Henry was used as a military weapon and was issued with sling hooks, so there is ample evidence that it was slung.
As far as the '73 Winchester, I will wait for our National Judge, Trap, as to a historical counterpart.

This does not go to say that for your circumstances it wouldn't be allowed, but your original question was asking about the historical evidence as far as NCOWS guidelines. That being said, look to the military usage of the '73 Winchester by foreign armies, i.e. Canada, where the '73 was issued in musket and rifle configuration to Irregular units, and was slung I believe, for what may be an acceptable configuration to alter your rifle. Such sutlers as S & S Firearms (best for repro military parts of the era) offer many types of add-on sling hook combinations and I would choose a known military configuration rather than the contemporary buttstock cup-type sling, simply because there is no counterpart in the document record of usage for the '73. The overwhelming majority rode in a scabbard or were stored on a rack somewhere. And remember, some types of leather hunting scabbards had slings. Perhaps another way to carry without having to alter your beloved '73 Winchester.
 ;)
RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »
Thanks fellas, a lot of good information for me to consider.

Bill

Offline Dedwood Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 10:39:05 AM »
I have a 73 Winchester with two spots I can put a sling on but I've never heard of a period correct sling.
Don't get excited about the light at the other end of the tunnel. (It might be another train.)

NCOWS family 2908
NMLRA
NRA
4H Pistol
Quigley shooter

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 11:51:15 AM »

I don't think it would have been uncommon for a man to use a sling to carry his 1873 or the like, when horses weren't available or not practical, like in deep snow where a man would use snow shoes to be able to walk, or in mountain es terrain where both hands were needed for climbing, a sling was used, some high country hunters were known to hunt on foot, and didn't always carry there rifle in hand, and would post there mule at a base camp and then hunt on foot, some used a sling only and some used a covered deer or elk skin rifle blanket with a sling attached my understanding is this was used on most rifles that were used in the day. Our forefathers weren't dummy's when it came to doing things that made life easier for them.

Good luck with your arm

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 11:58:18 AM »
According to The Winchester Book by Madis, nearly all of the Winchester models were available with sling swivels.

Books

[ How else would you carry your rifle ,shotgun and two pistols. ;) ;D]
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »
Wison's Winchester book has pictures from a Winchester Catalog showing them.  My scanner is broke so I can't post it.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 12:41:21 PM »
Books
Perhaps a Pack Mule  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 10:49:45 PM »
According to The Winchester Book by Madis, nearly all of the Winchester models were available with sling swivels.

Books

I need this book. I'll search the Internet for it.

Thanks for all the good information from the membership here...

Bill

Offline Joss House

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 11:10:24 PM »
Here's some photo's of an original '73 Winchester rifle with sling swivels. Click on each image for a larger view. This is at the RareWinchesters.com website.
http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1873/M73-001066/73-1066.shtml

There's also a '73 carbine shown with sling swivels. Scroll down.
http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1873/model_73.shtml

And if you want to prove earlier existence, There's a couple of '66s with sling swivels.
http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1866/model_66.shtml
Danny Ellison aka Joss house

Offline Dedwood Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 11:11:40 AM »
Huh, I learned something today :o. Now the question is are slings NCOWS legal. ??? ???
Don't get excited about the light at the other end of the tunnel. (It might be another train.)

NCOWS family 2908
NMLRA
NRA
4H Pistol
Quigley shooter

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 12:30:06 PM »
Huh, I learned something today :o. Now the question is are slings NCOWS legal. ??? ???

Why wouldn't they be?  We have proved that they existed on weapons made prior to 1899.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »
  An easy way to use a sling and not alter the rifle. Find a good leather strap, A flat rein works well and can be had at any place that carries tack, cut a slit at each end parallel to the strap, make a loop through the slit. put one end over the barrel the other over the stock, tighten youre done.
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 01:00:57 AM »
I need this book. I'll search the Internet for it.

Thanks for all the good information from the membership here...

Bill

Update:
I found this book today, and a new copy too.

It's on it's way to me, was we speak.

Bill

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 01:17:20 AM »
Here's some photo's of an original '73 Winchester rifle with sling swivels. Click on each image for a larger view. This is at the RareWinchesters.com website.
http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1873/M73-001066/73-1066.shtml

There's also a '73 carbine shown with sling swivels. Scroll down.
http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1873/model_73.shtml

And if you want to prove earlier existence, There's a couple of '66s with sling swivels.
http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1866/model_66.shtml

You have been a real big help to me. Thank you for the excellent url's, to verify any questions I may face.

Thank you again...

Bill

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 02:22:55 AM »

Books

I found a NEW copy of the Madis book, in Brooklyn, NY, and it was delivered today... The suggestion to acquire this book, was a very worth while suggestion. This is a very good book!

I was able to purchase the book, the last copy this dealer had, for less than $60.00.

Some thieves were asking as much as $289.00, for a used copy in "Good Condition," what ever that means.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com