Legal Defender Kit

Started by Capt'n Jack, July 06, 2009, 08:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt'n Jack

Back in the day (1986 to be exact) I purchased a kit from Legal Defender to convert a Colt Navy C&B to 38 S&W.  Needless to say, after more then 20 years, the kit is found in my gun safe in the same condition as it arrived.  So many toys, so little time. 

The conversion looks simple enough, just attach the backplate and modify the hammer and Bobs your uncle.  Has anyone ever made this conversion using the Legal Defender kit (has backplate, cylinder, illustrated instructions, and certain alignment parts used for drilling) to convert a Colt Navy to 38 S&W?  How difficult was the job?  How does it shoot?

Any recommendations?  Thanks in advance, Capt'n Jack.

Capt'n Jack was my great great grandfather, a Captain of the Ky Cavalry in the Civil War.  He lived to a ripe old age.

Professor Marvel

Greetings Captain Jack -
With any luck our friend Rifle will appear, Since I seem to recall that he had one and done did it. Or, you might look him up in the name list her and PM him. He posted a wonderful detailed treatise on fit a Colt's Cylinder arbor just a little while ago.

yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Lone Gunman

The 'Legal Defender' was designed to fit a Hawes brass framed '51 Navy, I'm not sure if it would work with a Uberti, Pietta etc. I've had one sitting at the back of my bench for a couple of years now, along with an un-assembled Hawes kit I picked up cheap. Both Kirst and R&D warn not to use their conversion cylinders with brass framed guns, maybe that's why the company that mfg'd the Legal Defender kits no longer exists.  ??? 
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Capt'n Jack

LG, you may be right to some extent.  The instructions do not reference any manufactor of pistols, and in fact, states that if you want to be able to switch from front loader to back loader you could pick up a new hammer from the maker of your pistol since the hammer must be altered.  I would think that shooting factory level loads in a decently made brass frame revolver would not be too stressful as this is 38S&W after all.  And the back plate is steel, not brass.  And further, this think was developed in 1978 or so.

I have a 44 c&b revolver that I have owned for well over 40 years (I am old enough to remember the Civil War 100th year celebrations and all of the reenactments).  It has a brass frame and I have shot it extensively using a 15 gr load of 3f bp.  It is still tight and dependable.  I would expect that any pistol with a brass frame would shoot loose sooner then one with a steel frame.  That said, I would recommend a steel frame over a brass frame but would not fear a good brass frame for this project. 

My understanding that the company shut down upon the ATF reviewing their earlier ruling that the product was under the right circumstances legal.  Seems circumstances change.  Maybe someone here has the real story.
Capt'n Jack was my great great grandfather, a Captain of the Ky Cavalry in the Civil War.  He lived to a ripe old age.

Lone Gunman

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.   ::)

This 'Hawes' thing had me stymied, I was certain I'd read that so I dug out the Legal Defender instructions & warning tag and, sure enough, no mention of Hawes. Just as I was about to accept that it had come to me in a dream I found this 3 1/2 year old post from right here at CasCity:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,7578.0.html

While looking at the instruction sheet I noticed a line had be blacked out with a marker. On closer examination it revealed that these conversion kits sold for $29.95 plus $1 for S&H. Of course gas was about .60/gal then too.

George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Capt'n Jack

Yep, those were the days of Jimmy Carter, with inflation running close to 20% and joblessness close behind.  He, Jimmy that is,  meant well but was a real post turtle.  Come to think of it, I think we may be there right now. 

I think I may have paid a little more then that but not much, I still have the shipping and billing statement. 

Did you build one or just have the info sheet?  Would like to hear from someone who has built one and shot it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com