Author Topic: Short stroked rifles  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Cactus Rope

• Cactus Rope
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Short stroked rifles
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:33:32 PM »
Since I was not able to respond in January for whatever reason, to the inquiry from Texas John Ringo and since Surly Bob shot off his mouth about this subject I shall now respond.

Most lever guns will have an operating stroke at least to 90 degrees perpendicular to the receiver.

A short stroked rifle has the left toggle link, right toggle link and lifter arm modified to shorten the operating stroke to less than 90 degrees. Thus allowing the operating time to be less.

FROM: Getting Started In Cowboy Action Shooting, Revised January 2006 at www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html 
This came about because the Marlins came from the factory with a shorter operating stroke than the Winchester 73's that everyone liked so well. Some of the really fast shooters discovered a "speed limit" in the action of the Marlin. Tthe action limited cycling time, and a 73 didn't have this limit. Therefore some of the top shooters switched to a short stroked job on their 73's. Most operating strokes can be shortened somewhat just by tightening up the action. SASS does not allow anything less than 4-1/8" as described in SASS Shooters Handbook, pg 11. I believe you will find that most lever guns will come from the factory with quite a bit more than 4-1/8" operating stroke.

THIS WAS NOT DONE IN THE NAME OF SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!!! As Surly Bob would have you believe.

As far as Surly Bob's comment about NCOWS not being concerned about safety.
Since our shooting distances are further, generally speaking than SASS distances, I believe we put more on accuracy than speed, which will in the end be more safe.

NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

"Every oncet in a while, you have to step in it to learn the lesson."

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: Short stroked rifles
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:04:17 AM »
 ;)

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Cactus Rope

• Cactus Rope
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 03:21:23 PM »
;)

;D
Hey Jeff how are ya? Get plenty of snow and ice your way.
NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

"Every oncet in a while, you have to step in it to learn the lesson."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:15:42 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:38:34 PM »
Hey Jeff how are ya? Get plenty of snow and ice your way.

I remember when I was just a wee lad how much I loved the snow.  It puzzled me why the a-dolts didn't like it.

Boy ... I sure understand now!!

:D

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 07:04:42 PM »
Well, I thought this was already covered thoroughly in that previous thread. ??? :-\

Remember, tho', that Surly Bob was partially making his case of a short-stroked rifle being safer for his daughter to operate with her shorter arm reach. I will cede him that personal example.

But making a leap with the safety issue vs. NCOWS as an excuse to vent his spleen to foment a little NCOWS-bashing was not only wrong but sad. People could see that it splattered more back onto him than he flung.

Did Surly stop to realize that the very ones who helped formulate NCOWS Safety Rules are the ramrods of the same club he's supposed to respect most? Probably not. I can guarantee they know NCOWS and its safety standards! They helped write them and get them passed by the Congress. The reason for their separation from NCOWS into an Independent Club had NOTHING to do with safety issues. 
Puzzling, thus, the contempt when his current shooting Pards were the very ones who built the foundation for safety that NCOWS enjoys. Many within the club he likes to attend have dual membership, heck!,- even Life-membership, in NCOWS.
When he goes to slap NCOWS in the face he catches them with the backhand.

I don't see any prospect, Boys, in kicking the dead mule. ;)

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:30:20 PM »
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:45:41 PM »
There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com