Author Topic: The word 'shootist'.  (Read 8597 times)

Offline Dedwood Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The word 'shootist'.
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 10:36:22 AM »
I believe the word "cowboy" was not penned until the 1890's. There are a few fleeting references to "cow boys" before that but the general term was "waddy" I believe. Jump in here if anyone knows different.
I agree but I thought it was more of 1866 to 1899. I think they got the name from people working on the cattle drive.
Don't get excited about the light at the other end of the tunnel. (It might be another train.)

NCOWS family 2908
NMLRA
NRA
4H Pistol
Quigley shooter

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 01:10:02 PM »
The word "cowboy" can be documented back to the early 1700s (Note #5 below). Here is the definition from Dictionary.com:

cow⋅boy
–noun
1. a man who herds and tends cattle on a ranch, esp. in the western U.S., and who traditionally goes about most of his work on horseback.
2. a man who exhibits the skills attributed to such cowboys, esp. in rodeos.
3. Chiefly Northeastern U.S. a reckless or speedy automobile driver.
4. Informal. a reckless or irresponsible person, esp. a show-off or one who undertakes a dangerous or sensitive task heedlessly: They put foreign policy in the hands of cowboys. 
5. (during the American Revolution) a member of a pro-British guerrilla band that operated between the American and British lines near New York City.

–verb (used without object)
6. to work as a cowboy.

Origin: 1715–25; cow + boy

Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 01:42:28 AM »
Checking both my 1807 Walkers' Dictionary [New York 1807] and my reprint of Webster's Dictionary [First edition of 1828] the work cowboy is not found!  Both contain cow-heard - one who tends cows.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:18:09 AM »

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 09:05:41 AM »
Dutch Limbach, back to the word SHOOTIST my windows spell check shows it as not a word. What do your sources say about it. Just wondering as I have seen it used several times from the old west. Tj  ???
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Defender of all things fun!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 09:25:52 AM »
Dutch Limbach, back to the word SHOOTIST my windows spell check shows it as not a word. What do your sources say about it. Just wondering as I have seen it used several times from the old west. Tj  ???

It shows "MSExcel" as not being a word.. But, MicroSoft uses the term all the time. They do show "MSWord" as a word. ???

Bruce

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 09:50:39 AM »
It shows "MSExcel" as not being a word.. But, MicroSoft uses the term all the time. They do show "MSWord" as a word. ???

Bruce

Run reload, handload and lots of words such as that trough yer spell check or look it up in the dictionary, lots you won't find.  So who knows more, us really smart folks on this board or yer stupid machine? ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Dedwood Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 11:07:17 AM »
Hey is your computer a Dell. Dell supports gun control laws so that might be it
Don't get excited about the light at the other end of the tunnel. (It might be another train.)

NCOWS family 2908
NMLRA
NRA
4H Pistol
Quigley shooter

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »
Hey is your computer a Dell. Dell supports gun control laws so that might be it

Nope, an HP.  but my handy paper Websters don't have a lot of those words either. ;)  Most don't reconise cosie either. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 03:02:22 PM »
You know my computer is a Dell. Now I know why it gives me such a hard time. Several times I have almost shot it. A 44/40 would sure take care of it. I would show it what gun control really means and afterwards tell it that was a SHOOTIST. What you think Dedwood. Don't think my wife would care for it though and then would have to buy a new computer. Guess this SHOOTIST will just hold his anger within. Tj  ;D  ;)
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2009, 08:37:43 PM »

TJ

There are numerous sources that tell that the word "shootist" was used by Clay Allison to describe his profession. Many of these sources also give him credit for being the originator of the word. I haven't been able to attach a date to the first time he used the word "shootist". However since he died when he was run over by the wagon he was hauling supplies in on July 3, 1887, it would be safe to say the word was in use prior to 1900.

There are also a couple of other examples of the word used in print prior to 1900:
From Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine (1893)
"I do so by remembering that he had neither skill nor keenness as a shootist; that very possibly he was too slow with his gun to have a shot; and that it is ..."

The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1895)
"Not being a ' shootist," I cannot lay the bird before you. I have to beg you to accompany me into the field to the scene of the rencounter. ..."
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 10:11:33 PM »
Dutch Limbach, I knew Clay Allison had said of himself that he was a shootist. I used that in one of the 08 NCOWS National  stages. Thank you for your responds. Hope to see you at the Eastern Regional. Tj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com