Author Topic: Pump Shotgun Question NCOWS  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pump Shotgun Question NCOWS
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:04:06 AM »
I just joined NCOWS and will be shooting my first match at Greenville, TX this weekend. I'm delighted because I finally get to shoot my 93/97 in a CAS match. NCOWS showing more common sense in this regard than SASS. Anyway, up until now, I've been shooting my SxS's. Looking through the Tally Book, I cannot find an answer to a question I have about loading the pump shotguns. In NCOWS, can you load more than two rounds at a time, or are you restricted like SASS shooters to one in the chamber and one in the magazine? In other words, if a stage calls for 4 Shotgun rounds, can you load all four, or do you have to load and fire two at a time? Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks. ???

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: Pump Shotgun Question NCOWS
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:11:15 AM »
In NCOWS you can load as many as you want.....loading on the clock.

Last year at he Nationals I finally got to see someone really blazing away with a '97.  It was pretty cool.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:36:43 AM »
  You can only load as many as there are targets to be engaged. If targets are knockdown you can't load an extra to pick up a target that dosen't go down.
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:15:17 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 06:21:34 PM »
  You can only load as many as there are targets to be engaged. If targets are knockdown you can't load an extra to pick up a target that dosen't go down.

Start the stage with only as many loaded in the magazine as there are targets to be engaged in the stage directions, chamber empty. . . .but you usually can load off your person to pick up a target on the clock if one doesn't go down.

SxS hammered may start with hammers cocked, chambers empty.

Now Folks, before someone jumps all over me, I just reread the rules as written on our NCOWS website and it states loaded on the clock. BUT, I could swear that summer of 2007 we voted to allow the loading of shotguns up to the maximum called for by stage instructions in the magazine, but empty chamber.

I guess I am going to shuffle over to the sidelines and try not to confuse anyone.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 05:32:25 AM »
John, according to my notes, we voted to allow the full loading of magazine on the clock.  Of course, that did not mean loading more than the number of targets.
French Jack

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 07:36:03 AM »
My confusion since loading of the rifle magazine with empty chamber before the stage is universally practiced, I thought new law considered loading of the shotgun magazine while chamber empty would have been similarly safe.

As to my second statement, I don't think I've shot at any club where you couldn't load off the body on the clock additional shells if a shotgun target did not go down. But not stated in By-Laws, so it is left up to the individual clubs discretion.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 10:25:26 AM »

RCJ:

Not to speak for others, but I read the intent of that post as explaining that you may not stoke the SG with more rounds than the number of targets in anticipation of  a miss. That's not to say that targets missed could not be picked up by loading from the body (if permitted by stage instructions).

Just my $.02  ....
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 11:10:15 AM »
   Right Dave, Thats what I meant but was apparently unable to articulate.   jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 07:43:18 PM »
   Right Dave, Thats what I meant but was apparently unable to articulate.   jt

:-[ :-[  Point taken.  :-[ :-[

You know me, Trap, sometimes I get carried away.

RCJ

NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com