Groove and Bore Diameter Poll .44 Army and .36 Navy

Started by Mako, January 19, 2009, 10:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mako

This is a poll directed to those of you that actually know the diameters of your pistol's groove diameter, bore diameter and the diameter of your chambers.

I know what Cimarron posts on their site and what Pietta told me in a very poorly worded email last year, but I have been seeing a host of posted dimensions on this and other forums.  So let's see what empirical information we can gather, tell us the following:

• Manufacturer
  • Estimated age, or manufacturing date
  • Model ( '51, '60 or '61)
  • Caliber
  • Groove Diameter
  • Bore Diameter
  • Chamber Diameters

Also if you've reamed your chambers tell us what they measured before reaming.

Thanks,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Long Johns Wolf

Manufacturer: FAUL (Centaure)
Manufactured: 1972
Model: 1860 (1960 NEW MODEL ARMY")
Cal.: .44
Groove dia: .445
Bore dia: not measured
Chamber dia: .443
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Long Johns Wolf

Manufacturer: Colt
Manufactured: 1982
Model: 1860 (2nd gen Army)
Cal.: .44
Groove dia: .458
Chamber dia: .448
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Mako

Thank you LJW, I can always count on you to be helpful.
Have a great day,

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Angel_Eyes

Hi Mako, I know these are not the ones you asked about but I have a post on SCORRS about my new Remmy .36's by Uberti
which might help some of your readers if they are having trouble with disparity between chamber and bore.

Groove dia:-   .378
Chamber dia:-.373
Bore dia :- .375
Ball dia  :- .375

Would not group under 12" at 20 yards

Chambers reamed to .379 using .380 ball

Groups now, 2.5" and 3.25" ( I tend to wobble a bit, now!)

Hope this helps, UKshooter

UKshooter
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

mike6975

can i chime in for a second and ask a question please?.if all these diameters are off and affects ones accuracy,sould we ream the chambers,forcing cone and or barrell or leave them all alone?.or does it depend on how acccurate or inaccurate ones pistol is?.

Respectfullly,

mike

Angel_Eyes

To Mike6975,

I can only add that in my case, I thought that by putting a .375 ball into a .373 chamber  and firing it through a .378 barrel was a waste of time and effort.
I therefore had the chambers reamed to .001 larger than the barrel, and got a .001 larger-than-chamber ball mould.
I can only say that it worked very well and I wouldn't touch the forcing cone or barrel.

UKshooter
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)

Angel_Eyes

When I reported this discrepancy to my supplier, he fobbed me off with the fact, "What can you expect, they are only toys for playing with, not for serious shooting!"
No thoughts of reporting back to Uberti, he thought it would be a waste of time!!!

UKshooter, (Who has done the right thing, himself)

Long Johns Wolf

More data from a French cowboy
Manufacturer: Uberti
Production: 2008
Model: 1860
Caliber: .44
Groove dia: .457
Chamber dia: .450
Twist rate: 18"
FWIT: the pard maintains that he is shooting better groups with the newer 1860s the 18" twist compared to the Uberti 32" twist of pre 2001 production.
Long Johns Wolf

Long Johns Wolf

More data from France:
Manufacturer: Euroarms
Production: 1980
Model: Rogers & Spencer
Groove dia: .446
Chamber dia: .450
Twist rate: .32"
Long Johns Wolf

Long Johns Wolf

And the last data from the French cowboy:
Manufacturer: Pietta
Production: 2008
Model: 1860
Groove dia: .452
Chamber dia: .448
Twist rate: 30"
Can somebody tell me, please, what the twist rate in a C&B revolver is doing in the POI and accuracy department like at 25 yards?
Long Johns Wolf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com