Aircraft

Started by Arcey, January 05, 2009, 12:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Lawdog

SHB, This one will need a lot of TLC. It has spent too much time outside in the elements. I have not got to see it person. We have a Invader Squadron meeting in March and I will see it in person.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Texas Lawdog

Our maintence chief sent me an e-mail yesterday, asking for help in restoring the "banana" for static display. I am an old, retired cop that loves old aircraft. I will try and contribute some form of work on the copter.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Steel Horse Bailey

Good on ya, pard!  I'd volunteer to help, but that drive everyday to get there then back home would wear me out!

;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

The tires have rotted off it. We need to find used tires to put on it for the static display. The nose wheel is a different size than the other two wheels.

Texas Lawdog

We have a meeting on Sat. at the Vintage Flight Museum in Fort Worth. The maintence chief will assign tasks for the volunteers to perform to restore the copter for static display.

Texas Lawdog

One of the guys at the Vintage Flight Museum has found a used tire for the nose wheel on the "Flying Banana". We still need at least 2 more tires for the main landing gear, and maybe one for the tail wheel.

Texas Lawdog

Leo, I didn't watch the race from the beginning. The Arizona Wing's B-17, "Sentmentel Journey" made the prerace flyover. Ot made me proud. I am now a Life Member in the CAF.

Leo Tanner

Congrats Pop.  Thought ya might like this clip.

"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Texas Lawdog

Leo, The military is doing away with fly overs and a lot of their military demonstrations due to budget cuts. This will really effect our Air Shows. I had DVR'd the race, so I got to see the fly over on the replay. I have been out to Thunderfield Field, where they keep "Sentimental Journey".

Texas Lawdog

I was eatin' lunch at the Grand Prairie Airport. I looked out the window and saw a Citation CJ4 taxi up. and 6 folks got out of it and came in to have lunch. That's a purdy fancy ride to go out and eat lunch. The new price on one of them is 9 Million bucks. Somebody  has got some deep pockets.

Steel Horse Bailey

I could write a check for it ...

Of course, you'd better not drop that check before you get it cashed ... it might bounce back up and whop you on the nose!

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

SHB, Them planes is expensive. Several years ago, I saw an ad in Trade A Plane, A guy had a Hurricane that had seen action with RAF in Singapore. He only wanted 900,000 for it. It would made for a good investment.

Four-Eyed Buck

Yeah, Hurri's are kinda rare. Maybe rarer than Spits :o ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Texas Lawdog

Yep, I would like to have a Mosquito and a Spit as well.

Texas Lawdog

SHB,  They have committed us to at least 3 air shows in the next few months. I just hope we can get er done. I've got one more payment on my Life membership with the CAF, I'll get a new 4-digit serial number, a big fancy plaque, a new set of metal wings and some other stuff. I will able to sign autographs at the Convention.

Texas Lawdog

I just found out today that the Air Museum out Arcey's way is getting a new Warbird, A Mosquito. It's being shipped from New Zealand.

Four-Eyed Buck

Wow, a plywood wonder! :o
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Texas Lawdog

My Dad told me a story about a Mosquito he saw crash when he was in the Med during WW2. He was on the flight line watching this RAF Mosquito flying around and performing acrobatic maneavers. He put the plane into a steep dive and flew the plane right into the ocean. The plane broke up in a million pieces and the pilot was never found. Some much for wooden aircraft.

Russ T Chambers

TLD
Beg to disagree, but a lot of Mosquitos took a lot of battle damage and still returned home.  The Spruce Goose showed that a humungous piece of tree could at least get airborne.  Then there was the Bellanca Viking with it's spruce spar and plywood wing covering that survived telephone poles and lake crashes (they do like to float).  Just don't drive them nose first into water!
Just keep them all away from tree borers and termites. ;D ::)
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Texas Lawdog

Russ, I was talking about the one my Dad saw crash into the Med. It broke up in a bunch of pieces. Hitting the water at over 200 mph will do some serious damage to a wooden plane.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com