Aircraft

Started by Arcey, January 05, 2009, 12:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Lawdog

Roo, There are 34 pieces of Nose Art at the Museum. They are refered to as "The Girls" They need constant care to preserve the paint. I'll take some pictures the next time that I am out there.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Arcey

She and I rode out to the farm stands. Culpepper Farms is across from the museum. I kinda, sorta had to check. The last few trips out have been a bust. Not today.

The Junkers isn't there. First time in a long time it hasn't been at its spot. They've pulled 'Chuckie' up front. The ole boy at the prop of the airplane with the yellow cowl was doing his best to get it to fire. It never did. Beneath the B-17's right wing, the one with Nazi markings was moving.

He's still working on it in this shot. Two guys had strapped into the airplane to the extreme left.

This is the one in the first shot.under the B-17's wing. He's headed to the end of the runway. I looked at the flag - the wind's right. And, about the time he pointed the nose into the wind, the camera's battery quit. I've been wondering when it was going. Everything I've posted, and a bunch more I haven't, were taken on the first charge.

I never did hear or see them try to start the green one. Less than a minute after I took this shot they climbed out.

There was another, smaller airplane with Nazi markings that followed this one into the air. Damned if they don't look awfully slow after watching the Hornets at Oceana. They're just a touch quieter too.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quieter ... but still handsome!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

The plane with the German markings that I see is possibly a Storch, an observation aircraft.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Four-Eyed Buck

Fiesler Storch. This type is what Skorzeny used to get Mussolini out of the prison castle he was being held in. the blue plane in some of those pics is an SBD Dauntless dive bomber. The one that wouldn't start looks like a WW I type judging from the engine I can see parts of ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Texas Lawdog

The blue bi-plane looks like a repro Spad, The yellow bi-plane is a Stearman. The blue plane is a trainer and not a Dauntless, no rear machine gun and the back seat is facing forward. It could be an AT-6?

Steel Horse Bailey

I don't see a blue Spad repro, but I do see a Fokker D-7 I think.  (Next to the Stearman)  It has the same cowl that was on the DR1 Triplane and carried over (the shape) on the outstanding D-7.

Since the trainer is painted in Navy colors, it would be an SNJ-5.  Of course, it could be an AT6 "Texan" (Advanced Trainer) simply painted in the very pretty Navy colors.  They are nearly identical products.  The Brits called them "Harvards" and the Aussies called their version (a CA16, which was the predecessor to the AT6) the "Wirraway."

Great planes!

I'd LOVE to take a flight in that Storch, too.  Any of them, for that matter!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

SHB, I went on the Museum's website and they have a list of their aircraft and a picture of each of them. It is listed as the Military Air Museum of Virginia Beach.

Steel Horse Bailey

Leo Tanner

Lucky day here.  The P51s are practicing the missing man formation over my house.  I missed the roll off but when I saw the fourth come in behind the others I realized what was up.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Steel Horse Bailey

A beautiful sight!

Texas Lawdog

The Mustangs are great fighter planes, they didn't reach their potential until the Rolls-Royce Merlin engines were intalled.

Leo Tanner

I hoped they would make another pass but they seemed to have it down, it was better than any fireworks display.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

yeti76620

Something different....... in my neck of the woods an airshow at and above 10,000 ft over sea level...

http://mtntownviews.com/2012/07/02/breckenridge-4th-of-july-brings-first-ever-airshow/

A Thin-Air Show... :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

"Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass." ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: yeti76620 on July 04, 2012, 09:30:26 PM
Something different....... in my neck of the woods an airshow at and above 10,000 ft over sea level...

http://mtntownviews.com/2012/07/02/breckenridge-4th-of-july-brings-first-ever-airshow/

A Thin-Air Show...
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Good one!

Texas Lawdog

I am sure the folks up there enjoyed the acrobatics performed by the two bi-planes, using the smoke.

Leo Tanner

Got the details on the local air show this Saturday an if I can get my Grandson for the day he's going to get a real treat based on what I've been seeing on the practice runs.  Nothin but fire spotters this mornin but we need them.

Roland Deschain

Major E A Sterner

My wife and I are thinking about going to this air show,Looks interesting

http://www.greatnewenglandairshow.com/
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Texas Lawdog

Major, I hope you get to attend the airshow. I don't know if any of the CAF aircraft are scheduled to appear. If I find out any info, I'll let you know.

Leo Tanner

Roland Deschain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com