Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 784908 times)

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1180 on: January 08, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »
Leo

Watched the Video it is great!

This is my B-17G.  I think it was from Monogram or Revel.  It’s in 1/24th scale as are all the remaining models I have.  It’s amazing the size difference when you put them next to each other!  I had a B29 in the same scale that decided to depart from the ceiling one day.  It was done up to be “Bocks Car” as I remember. Too many wee done as the “Enola Gay”.  I need to get a replacement for that bird.  Though my Dad was a pilot, he was a ground pounder in the Army and part of the occupation forces in Tokyo after the War.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1181 on: January 08, 2011, 03:29:16 PM »
That looks like the one I have Russ.  Mine is in 1:48.  I got the rest of the paints yesterday and am ready to go.  Have a guitar to rewire but I think the model will come first.  I imagine a 29 would be fun to build too.  Heck, I got all the paint now to last awhile.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #1182 on: January 08, 2011, 11:08:26 PM »
Leo, If you decide to do a B29, we have plenty of pictures of "FIFI" to look at.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #1183 on: Today at 09:21:53 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #1183 on: January 09, 2011, 07:48:45 AM »
1/24 scale B-29!  Wow!   That's a BIG model!  I didn't know there existed a B-29 model that big.

The biggest model I've ever seen is a Tamiya model of the Japanese battleship Yamato in 1/11 scale.  They're not in production anymore and IF you find one, it'll set you back a grand or so.  That model is (if memory still serves - I've been away from the model interest for about 30 years) a little over 8 feet long!  I saw one (still in the box) back around 1972 for around $75 - which was like saying (to me) $2000 now - and I couldn't afford it then ... or now.  I was a fairly newly married man with a new baby, and $75 bought a LOT of dinners and diapers then that were needed more than a plastic model of a Jap battlewagon!
 ;)

Have fun, Tom/Leo!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1184 on: January 09, 2011, 11:15:50 AM »
I'm going to download your pic Russ and keep it for reference.  Nice job!

Never got around to looking up the Texas video yesterday so I will be doing it today.  and Pop, if I do take on a 29 I will take you up on the FIFI pictures.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1185 on: January 09, 2011, 11:59:08 AM »
I HOPE I'm not repeating myself, but I saw FiFi right after she was declared "airworthy" back in the 70's or early 80's  here in Indiana. The (then) Confederate (now Consolidated) Air Force brought up a bunch of planes to celebrate formation of the Great Lakes District Squadron of the CAF  with their first plane, a Beechcraft bomber-trainer, if I remember.  (Sorry, I don't 'member the nomenclature/number.)  It was a pretty awesome sight, but I didn't get to see FiFi up close.  I'd used up all my film, didn't have the ca$h to buy new, so I departed a bit early.  Fifi was the closing attraction, so I took off myself - I saw her fly, but by leaving early, I beat the huge traffic jam.  If I'd still had film (where were digital storage devices with room for thousands of pics THEN?) I'd have stayed and taken close-ups, but ...

GREAT memories, friends!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1186 on: January 09, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »
I'm usually good at finding things on line but haven't found the Texas B 17 video.  Anyone got a link?

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1187 on: January 09, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »
Leo, I found the video on Youtube. I typed in Don't Mess with Texas B17.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1188 on: January 09, 2011, 05:15:52 PM »
Thanks Pop, I was over thinkin it an searched all the highway department links.  For those who aint seen it here it is...

Roland Deschain

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1189 on: January 09, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »
The RO says, "Let's make an impression on 'em".  Boy howdy you bet it would.

Roland Deschain

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1190 on: January 09, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
Thanks for posting the link!

Short; sweet; & to the point!

All in all, a GREAT commercial!  (I wouldn't mess with ANY state by littering, but) I've known for a LONG time: "Don't mess with Texas, Baby!"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1191 on: January 09, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »
It is good an I figgered if no one else was gonna post it I would.  Kinda bummed that you can't see the wing tips, I know a lot of them had the red paint but I was curious to see what the CAF did with this one.  That is one bad a** advertisement.

Roland Deschain

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #1192 on: January 09, 2011, 07:55:29 PM »
Y'all notice that the referred to the plane as being from the Texas CONFEDERATE Air Force, Good on em.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1193 on: January 09, 2011, 11:23:53 PM »
Unfortunatly the commerical was made before the name change to the Commemmrative Air Force.  Leo, "Texas Raiders" is hangared at Houston.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1194 on: January 09, 2011, 11:31:28 PM »
Leo, Look up Texas Raiders B17 and you can see a picture. It has red wing tips and the horizontal stabilizers and the vertical stabilizer are red tipped. That ad with the B17 is my favorite commerical of all time.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #1195 on: January 10, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
1/24 scale B-29!  Wow!   That's a BIG model!  I didn't know there existed a B-29 model that big.

The biggest model I've ever seen is a Tamiya model of the Japanese battleship Yamato in 1/11 scale.  They're not in production anymore and IF you find one, it'll set you back a grand or so.  That model is (if memory still serves - I've been away from the model interest for about 30 years) a little over 8 feet long!  I saw one (still in the box) back around 1972 for around $75 - which was like saying (to me) $2000 now - and I couldn't afford it then ... or now.  I was a fairly newly married man with a new baby, and $75 bought a LOT of dinners and diapers then that were needed more than a plastic model of a Jap battlewagon!
 ;)

Have fun, Tom/Leo!

Steel Horse Bailey
I may be thinking 1/48th.  It's been many a year since I built these, I just know I was keeping everythin in the same scale for reference.

My F-14 looks huge next to the P-51, and is close to approaching the B-17 in size.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1196 on: January 10, 2011, 03:34:48 PM »
That would look pretty impressive in the rear view mirror ::) :o
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1197 on: January 10, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »
That is my all time favorite ad by the TXDOT folks. Seeing that B17 in your rearview mirror!

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1198 on: January 10, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »
Steel Horse Bailey
I may be thinking 1/48th.  It's been many a year since I built these, I just know I was keeping everythin in the same scale for reference.

My F-14 looks huge next to the P-51, and is close to approaching the B-17 in size.

Ok - Prob'ly 1/48 scale.  Modern fighters ARE similar in size to WWII medium bombers, and not too much smaller than the B-17 or B-24.   If anyone doesn't believe, see an F-4 next to a B-17 the next time an Airshow comes to your area!  There's usually an F-4 there.  Still - that B-29 in 1/48 scale by Monogram is a VERY large expanse of plastic!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1199 on: January 10, 2011, 05:28:19 PM »
I built a lot of car models as a kid. I never tried any airplanes. I don't have the patience to do the models and the diabetes makes my hands shake sometime. I am fortunate to be able to be around these WW2 airplanes as a member of the CAF.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com