Author Topic: Lookin for some clothing advice  (Read 8442 times)

mike highgate

Re: Lookin for some clothing advice
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 10:25:15 AM »
Thanks, RCJ and Irish Dave, for the info.
I agree about the tacky vests. And what's wrong with making them out of period correct material? No cowpoke would be caught dead in such a garment. Also, the modern vests almost always have revers - which was not always the case back then.

Offline Yuma Kid

• NCOWS Editor (The Shootist Magazine)
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John "Yuma Kid" Irons
  • SASS #: 31302
  • NCOWS #: L129
  • GAF #: 767
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 12:52:41 PM »
Gentlemen,
I resemble that remark!  Of course, my persona is that of a Pimp/Gambler so I guess whore house vest (and pants) are right down my alley.
Yuma
Keep Yer Powder Dry!

NCOWS #L129,  G.A.F. # 767, SASS #31302, NRA Life Endowment, Lancaster County Bounty Collection Agentcy #29

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 12:55:32 PM »
www.riverjunction.com/catalog/shirt/shirtindex.html

www.jamescountry.com/menscivilianclothing.html

www.fcsutler.com/fcclotaccess.asp 

These will get you started. I have items from all three vendors and would recommend them. 

or...If you can sew;  Get the Buckaroo Bobins pattern for the Bib-front shirt and don't make the bib.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:18:42 PM »

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 01:34:28 PM »
Gentlemen,
I resemble that remark!  Of course, my persona is that of a Pimp/Gambler so I guess whore house vest (and pants) are right down my alley.
Yuma

Amen! Irish Dave's remark gives the impression that a house of ill repute is a BAD THING!
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 03:27:42 PM »
Now, boys....

I have no issue with those genteel ladies of the line -- be they Dodge City, San Francisco, Denver or Kansas City.

I just don't want clothes made from their curtains. ;)

Yuma:
Suspecting, as I do, that you truly have a pimp's heart and soul ...well ...  you're exempt.  ;D

"Look not to the heart of a pimp or a banker -- as you'll find no comfort there."

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 04:50:34 PM »
Gentlemen,
Yuma

Wow did I ever have you pegged wrong pard, I thought you was bein' eaten by a carpet bag. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 06:18:22 PM »
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,24441.0.html

I started this in The Old Fashioned Way child board.  We get a lot of questions around here on outfits from new folks, let's post some pictures of different outfits folks wear so we can direct new folks to pictures of what folks wear to shoots and other events.

Since these questions show up on several of our forums, we can have a referance in one place to direct folks to.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 09:01:22 PM »
Thanks, RCJ and Irish Dave, for the info.
I agree about the tacky vests. And what's wrong with making them out of period correct material? No cowpoke would be caught dead in such a garment. Also, the modern vests almost always have revers - which was not always the case back then.

Mike,
forgot to mention that Jean Warren (Thanks Dr. Bob!) is the proprietor of James Country and she is plumb delightful to work with. The collar you mention is commonly referred to as a 'stand-and-fall' collar. Give her a call and she will let you know what specials she has right now and patterns and such. She REALLY knows her stuff. Just about every NCOWS member I know has had clothing made by her shop. James Country usually always sets up a booth at the NCOWS Convention, where she does a BRISK business. Jean will be the one in period dress with bare feet!

River Junction Trade is owned by James Bakke, an NCOWS Senator, and he has an equally gifted crew of seamstresses to turn out clothing. Again, give him a call and see what prints and patterns are in stock. The Drover, or, most especially, The Frontier shirt are likely what you're looking for. Although River Junction Trade has been sorely missed at our NCOWS Convention in recent memory, his physical location in McGregor plus the online store are excellent.

Delmonico, who works at The Old West Store at The Fort, also knows his merchandise and his history, and will not steer you wrong. Awhile back The Fort was THE source for a particular type of 'cathedral-stitched' boot for guys with large calfs, and the remakes of correct 'fish-skin'-type slickers for wet weather.

When, and if, you want to take it up a notch, I can post some sources for readymade clothing that boasts hand-sewn buttonholes and bone or pearl buttons. Plus a few sources for period fabric cloth in correct prints and patterns if you want to try your hand at sewing.

As to Fall Creek Sutler, I am sorry that I do not have a personal relationship with any one person at that establishment. But they have done such yeoman service and enjoy almost a universal positive reputation. They seem to be one of those merchants that quietly go about setting the standard to the reenactment community as far as quality at economical prices. The few items I have purchased from them were totally satisfactory.

Many of our members have had fun teaching themselves sewing, leather working, knife making, beading, any number of crafts- you name it. It's all good. I have yet to meet an NCOWS member who will not share freely of their time, experience or expertise. Questions in this Forum are a welcome and necessary step to learning about NCOWS. We have a very diverse and wonderful membership. Between The Shootist; here in CAS City; and personal encounters with the membership at the various events, there is ample opportunity to enjoy the NCOWS experience! PLUS our Executive Committee, the National Officers, are not only personable but very approachable.

RCJ (Here's your first clue about me,. . . . .don't ever get me started because I turn everything into a dissertation. ;D ;))
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 01:20:03 AM »
RCJ is right about James Country.  Satisfaction guaranteed!!  Jean Warren is the one to talk to.   John just mis-remembered her last name!  She is a great gal to work with.  I have lots of clothing from James Country and can't say enough good about how I have been treated.  She has quite a few shirts with collars in stock at all times.  Just call!  816-781-9473  I am so lucky that they are only 20 min. from my from my front door! ;D  You can't find better people to work with!!!!!!!!!!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

mike highgate

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 03:26:52 AM »
Thanks to all for the terrific advice, which I am following up.

mike highgate

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 03:12:13 PM »
RCJ, I see what you mean about River Junction. Their shirts are exactly what I had in mind. Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com