Author Topic: Spring Buffalo shoot  (Read 20447 times)

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spring Buffalo shoot
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:41:34 AM »
   For all of you who would like another buffalo type match. Apr 25 26 in the flint hills of KS. there will be a match sponsored by Jim Bell Western Store, The KS Muzzle Loaders Assn. And the KS Vigilance Comm. It will be held a few miles south of Cottonwood Falls KS. There will be classes for Black and smokeless. Entry will be $25 pre-reg. We are working on a flyer which I will post here soon with entry forms. Watch for it!        jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Spring Buffalo shoot
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:22:24 AM »
Gee, I WISH Kansas was closer to Orygun!
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:35:17 PM »
And Wisconsin.  :(

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:58:27 AM »

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:20:34 AM »
Hey Ace Lunnger!
This event looks like it is close to you, you had said in an earlier post you lived in S.E. KS. It would be a great starter Shoot for you, you could get to see some fine rifles and meet some outstanding Pards, swap stories and recipes for reloads.
Give it a thought, these folks won't steer you wrong!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 11:13:34 AM »
Flint Hills
BUFFALO  SHOOT

APRIL 25-26  2009
Black powder and Smokeless Categories
Period (1872 - 1885) dress required
Primitive and modern camping (no hookups)
Food available for purchase on site
Friday set-up OK
NO modern optics (telescopic sights spotting scopes or range finders) Period binoculars, Telescopes and Cross sticks OK
S.S. Rifles of the time period and lead bullets only,
40 Rifle and 5 revolver rounds for score. Some targets will have to be knocked down to score.

.22 cal Single shot side match
20 rounds for score

Shoot sponsors:
Jim Bell Western Store
Kansas Muzzle Loaders Assn.
Kansas Vigilance Committee of the National Congress of Old West Shootists

Shoot Fee $25 pre-register, $30 day of shoot
Medals for 1st five places in each category and .22 Side Match
Many door prizes will be awarded

See reverse for map and directions

This is a copy of the Flyer for the Shoot
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 11:16:16 AM »
Buffalo shoot entry form

Name /alias optional_______________________________________________

Address___________________________________________
           Settlement___________________________  ST/ Terr.________
                                                                                  Zip__________
E-mail Optional (Need if you want confirmation)__________________________________________

Entry fee $25 Must be postmarked by Apr.11
Fee at day of shoot $30 (includes .22 match)             _________________

.22 Side match only  $10                                               _________________

Send to Buffalo Shoot; C/O;
John Torrence; 2723 Emmer Rd N W; Lebo, KS. 66856

Checks payable to John Torrence

Here is the entry form , enter early, only the first 60 entries may be accepted.
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 02:13:42 PM »
Are H&R single shot's allowed? in .45-70 or other period caliber?
I know they weren't htere then but others like them were.

Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 08:29:57 AM »
   Good question, I will have to get back to you.     jt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 06:09:50 PM »
I put a sticky on this for ya Trap.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 07:28:43 AM »
Are H&R single shot's allowed? in .45-70 or other period caliber?
I know they weren't htere then but others like them were.

I know they are not allowed by NCOWS, if that helps.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 12:53:08 PM »
I sort of figured that NCOWS wouldn't allow them for anything.

Agail, they seem to like splitting hairs that don't need spliting.
I know that the H&R single shots weren't around "back then"  But their were rifles of similar design there but are unatainable today.
So unless someone has close to $1000 of more laying around the H&R is the only .45-70 alot of poaple can afford.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 10:24:58 AM »
B.V.H., just for the sake of discussion only...
The answer to your question has been addressed by Trap, "Good question, I will have to get back to you."     jt
Since no organizational rules were addressed in his initial invitational post it cannot be assumed that a H&R can or cannot be used, NCOWS was not listed as a sponsoring and organizing entity in Trap's first post so any comments about NCOWS rules or regs are technically detrimental to any positive discussion here.
To address your logic of the H&R design, I'm certainly no expert but have read many other posts discussing this same concept/logic here and on other forums down through the past few years when the H&R was looked at as an inexpensive alternative to a Big Bore rifle. 'Yes' it is similar in design to the Wufferlein rifle that had a top-break/tip-up style and a lever to facilitate the opening of the breech for loading. That design was and still is a viable style. H&R, now NEF if I recall correctly, has built that rifle in a few models, the most recent has been the one many think is a copy of the original Wufferlein, alas it is not if you look at pics. However, it is close enough to make many think it will pass muster on the Firing Line at some orgs events. SASS does allow it in some classes, NCOWS does not due to the modern redesigning and ejector. Some have said if the ejector is disabled it will be allowed, ultimately it is up to the NCOWS Judge to make that decision then have it approved or not. Again, please refer back to Trap's initial invite post and you do not see that NCOWS rules must be adhered to, this may be case but nothing there indicates so as of yet.
So, 'if' the event is NOT run under NCOWS rules, etc., then your H&R may potentially be allowed and as Trap stated he would "...get back to you.", and I know he will, he is a good man.
You stated that NCOWS "...seem to be splitting hairs that don't need split(t)ing." That is a part of the orgs concept, if you would like to change that then simply establish membership and let any Officer, Senator or Posse Rep. know how you feel on any given issue.
You recently posted on the GAF forum about the Grand Muster, the GAF as a historical group based on the Military would certainly never allow an H&R to be used in the Main Battle Rifle class, so therefore it seems equally the same with NCOWS if you think about it in that form of concept and logic.
Again, just for the sake of discussion, you also mentioned that "...unless someone has close to $1000 of more laying around the H&R is the only .45-70 alot of poaple can afford." If you have kept up on this forum you'll have read many posts about a Big Bore rifle put out by IAB for a lot less than other rifles, it has been fondly called 'a cheap Sharps' and those that have them seem to enjoy them and paid less than $1,000 for them.
It really all boils down to what you want out of a Big Bore rifle, if you only want to shoot one at targets or hunt with every so often shooting under 1,000 or so rounds per year and not for historical events, then the H&R is the best for the dollar, I have one I got used and it is a tack driver with ladder sights and a Lyman 17A front sight. If you want a Rolling Block then hit the gun shows and you'll be able to pick up an older Navy Arms Roller for under $600, m/l and it'll provide you with period-correct design and solid performance. If you want a Sharps-style and will only shoot in the 1,000 round per year arena then IAB can be had in the range of $500-700 used to more new. Older IAB's had some problems but the newer models are said to be better. If you want a Pedersoli a used one can be had for $800 and up depending on sights, etc. A new Pedersoli is in the range of $1,200 and up due to the large increases in import dollars and a reluctance in dealers to order according to Dick Trenk, the Pedersoli Rep. when asked about new rifles on another forum. An American hand-made Shiloh or C. Sharps rifle will run you anywhere from $1,000 up used depending on style, sights, etc., to whatever you want on it as they are generally all custom made per order. Check this and other forums such as www.BPCR.net and www,.shilohrifle.com to see what is available on their FOR SALE or comment threads as you may just lock-in on a great buy. Checking local papers for auctions is also a good way to get older rifles that have been in a closet, and don't negate that simple two line ad in your local Shopper..."Buying old guns for CASH. XXX-XXXX", you'll be amazed what is out there that oldsters may want to sell but don't want to mess with a trip to town.
You have mentioned on the GAF forum you are looking for costuming, unless you make it yourself, buying period-correct clothing can be as costly as a new period-correct firearm, but as O.T. Buchanan has established in his '3 Levels of Authenticity', which can be seen on the NCOWS website (simply click on the NCOWS logo on the forum then follow the link), start where you can and work your way up, go with what you have and add as you can, hit auctions, gun shows and Trade Fairs and you'll be surprised what is out there. If you can make it to the NCOWS Convention & Trade Fair next March in Kansas City you'll get a chance to see and buy whatever level of rifle and costuming you desire, vendors and individuals will have tables loaded with most everything you'll need.
Now, the fun part of this discussion, if you don't have a rifle that Trap says will work, simply ask someone else going to use theirs and then work a trade for ammo, etc., you'll make a friend and shooting buddy, heck, I'll bet even Del would let you use one of his if he ain't going and all you'd have to trade is a bucket of lard, HAH! If I was going I'd certainly let you use anything I have. We have all been in the same boat at one time or another, the wrong gun, hat, boots, etc., at the right Shoot, not to worry, it'll all work out.
Best regards and never think that there is only one way to get 'r done, just ask!
'Ol Gabe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »
Gabe,

I didn't meen to get into a period correct argument with you.
I'm not the one that mentioned NCOWS rules.

Yes I do almost everyhting in this game on the cheap cause that's the only way I can play.
The prices for rifles you mentioned are all still way more than the H&R and I stand by my words that there were rifles like them back then, just not exact. 
As far as GAF.  I have been informed that the H&R with ejector disabled is allowd in the buffalo scout class jsut as a sporterized sharps or rolling block is.  NO it's not milspec.  Neither is a creedmore or quigly.

Costuming and uniform's are going to have to be whatever I can piece together from thrift stores and an occasional new purchase at the Fort. 

I thought the NCOWS convention was nice last year once I got throught the lbizzard to get there.  we will probbly goagain in 2009 if I get get away that weekend.  Maybe I'll se ya there.

And Trap.
Let me know what you find out .

Happy shooting to all.

Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 09:34:27 AM »
B.V.H.,
Hope to meet you at the Convention, I'd like to jaw a bit as I like your ideas and encourage your continued input.
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 07:18:16 PM »
ok so i guess a h&r trap door replica is ok then in 45-70
but what are the distances of your shoot
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 08:52:04 AM »
  Bow View H.   Your H&R will be an accepted rifle. Come on down.    jt

Buffalow Red,   Ranges will be on the inside of 500 yds. Relevant to the target size
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 08:40:21 AM »
The H&R is very similar to a rifle built by the W.H. Davenport company (circa 1865-1902). They primaily built single shot shotguns but did spread out into a few doubles and some single shot rifles. Their single shot shotguns were equipped with an ejector. Most of their single shot rifles were a falling block design. They also sold a full length rifled barrel insert so that one could shoot rifle cartridges through their shotguns. This effectively made their singlshot shotguns into a single shot break action rifle with an ejector.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 08:47:32 AM »
PItsptr,
Thanks for the info. 
Your kind of like one of those encylocpedia thngs, aren't your?   :D

Trap.
Would I need to disable the ejector on my rifle or is it OK wiith it?
I hate to disable it cause I also the gun for hunting.

I would love to have a H&R trapdoor or a rollling block but if I had that kind of money It would buy 3-4 handi rifles.  Of actually pay off some bills.

Thanks again.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 11:20:24 AM »
Actually, ejectors are legal in NCOWS since they are period correct.  As far as rifles go I would think if Trap is allowing you to use your Handi rifle he would allow you to keep your ejectors but then he will speak for himself. ;)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 09:36:29 PM »
Your kind of like one of those encylocpedia thngs, aren't your?
Well, not really. I just happen to have more than a passing intrest in Davenport shotguns. ;) Unfortunately, it isn't a monitary intrests. :-\

I would love to have a H&R trapdoor or a rollling block but if I had that kind of money It would buy 3-4 handi rifles. 
You can buy a handi rifle for $125?  :o I gave $500 for my very good original NY State militia Roller. Just keep an eye out Bow View, every once and a while a good bargain comes around. In the mean time, keep watching your pennys so that when that bargain does come around you can jump on it.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com