Author Topic: The Grumpies (and friends)  (Read 20425 times)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Grumpies (and friends)
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 08:14:20 AM »
Kin get inta pies myownself. Chicken or beef pot pies mighty tasty.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 08:24:06 AM »
Bro. Sleep, I'm curious about this raisin creme pie. When I was a kid, my mother used to make a pecan creme pie that was out of this world. Never got the receipe. Lost forever.   Pie is comfort food no matter what flavor.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 12:07:54 PM »
Tex, I used ta call Mom fer recepeis every now an an then.  Ta this day when I think of somethin she used ta make I find maself reachin fer the phone.  Then like you said, I realize it's lost ferever.
     I do have one written down fer a pie that is kind of like a pecan pie/cheese cake that's good.  If that's what yer thinkin of I'll send it to ya.

Them meat pies is sure good too.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:22:23 AM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 03:10:05 PM »
My dad used to make chess pies, sort of a super sweet pecan pie with attitude.  I only make them at Christmas time because they'll put you into sugar shock if you're even in the room with one for more than a couple of minutes.

His recipe is in the cookbook that Mo Lasses put together.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 03:33:57 PM »
My dad used to make chees pies, sort of a super sweet pecan pie with attitude.  I only make them at Christmas time because they'll put you into sugar shock if you're even in the room with one for more than a couple of minutes.

His recipe is in the cookbook that Mo Lasses put together.

We may just be talkin the same pie!  Dang it's a treat.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 06:45:58 AM »
This pie was like a regular creme pie and had pecan bits in the filling like banana slices in a banana creme pie.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 07:29:10 AM »
This pie was like a regular creme pie and had pecan bits in the filling like banana slices in a banana creme pie.

Same here, just had stewed raisins in tha cream fillin'  ;D
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 08:10:39 AM »
Any of that sounds GOOD!

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 10:53:13 AM »
We've got a lost one in this family, too. Pumpkin chiffon pie, Sue's Mom used to make'em. It's a no-bake type. Filling was cooked on the stove first, went into a graham cracker crust. We thought that our oldest boy's wife had Mom's receipe, turns out she don't. Mom took it with her :-\ :'( 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »
I bet that there's a lot of folks wishin' that they had written down these old receipes.

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 02:13:24 AM »
Now come the BIG GUNS...

PECAN PIE

That an a cup a black coffee will set ya off right.

Leo

That'd set ME off fer sure!!   :o :o ;D  But I gots ways to deal with it.  ::) ;) ;D

My Bride made a pie one time for me to take to a holiday lunch at work; it was some combination of apples, raisins, some sort of dried berries , and walnuts or pecans, with a real woven lattice top.  I put it on the table, and it was gone before anyone got to the deserts.  Everybody wanted to know how she made it; I asked her, and she just smiled and said something to the effect of "oh, I just threw some stuff together".  To this day she will not own up to knowing what it was, or how she made it.

Have I ever told y'all??  I LOVE pie! ;D ;D
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 05:33:31 AM »
Everybody has got their favorite kind of pie. Fruit pies, creme pies, and cobblers. I  like most any flavor.     

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 08:04:44 AM »
Pecan has got to be my all time favorite,  I have an Aunt that makes the best I've ever tasted, been eating em for over 50 years,  she sends me about 4 of em during the year with my cousin, when he comes to visit.  she knows how I like em.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 08:16:41 AM »
Late Momma-in-Law was a down home Carolina trained cook. She’d make what she called ‘Chest’ pie. So did her kin when I’d go ta their family functions back home. I’d eat it ta be polite. Sometimes they were tart, others, sicky sweet. Don’t think it was the ‘chees’ thing 40 mentioned.

Went on fer a long time ‘fore I asked. ‘Chest’ pie was ‘just’ pie in the Carolina vernacular. They made ‘em up with anything they had in the refrigerator ‘n/or fruit bowls they wanted ta get rid of.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 08:33:56 AM »
did ya'll save me a slice of pie?
Mathew 5.9

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 08:40:41 AM »
Yep....

That small piece of buttermilk pie on tha tailgate  ;)
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 11:03:53 AM »
Yep....

That small piece of buttermilk pie on tha tailgate  ;)

I'll take it Thank you ;D
Mathew 5.9

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 12:18:19 PM »
Late Momma-in-Law was a down home Carolina trained cook. She’d make what she called ‘Chest’ pie. So did her kin when I’d go ta their family functions back home. I’d eat it ta be polite. Sometimes they were tart, others, sicky sweet. Don’t think it was the ‘chees’ thing 40 mentioned.

Went on fer a long time ‘fore I asked. ‘Chest’ pie was ‘just’ pie in the Carolina vernacular. They made ‘em up with anything they had in the refrigerator ‘n/or fruit bowls they wanted ta get rid of.

Arcey, that was a typo.  It's CHESS pie, no T.  Made with brown sugar, butter, white sugar, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, white sugar, pecans, brown sugar, flour, brown sugar.....you get the idea!  If it's done right it's the best nut pie in the world, but it can be undercooked and end up runny - delicious, but spoon-dipping runny - or overbaked and then it borders on paving material - delicious, but rock hard.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 12:40:03 PM »
aint that shoo fly pie?  or is that all the sugar eithout the nuts?

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 01:09:15 PM »
Ol' Buttermilk PIE!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com