1894 marlin parts pile

Started by cetme, August 16, 2008, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cetme

found an 1894 marlin in 32-20 thats in real sad shape. Finish on the stock and the metal looks like it sat out in an abandoned barn for 30 years, some big buggered holes in the reciever and the hammer spring is gone or busted. Up side is the mag tube looks good and the barrel looks frosty but not so bad you couldn't shoot it.

I've smithed my own guns in the past but this would be my first levergun. At $275 is it too high for a pile o parts gun? Will it be a pain to get parts to fix it? If the barrel is too far gone could I rebore to 38-40? 

cetme

anyone? Iknow some has a better idea on this than me. Good deal? bad deal?

Capt. Augustus

I have a old Marlin 1894 in .32-20 and parts are hard to find.  Gunpartscorp.com is pretty much your only source and they do not have many of the parts.  I think the barrel would be too small to rebore to .38-40 (Brownell's has liners and tells what size has to be drilled out) not counting whether the rifle could feed the rounds let alone handle the pressure.

I think you would be ahead of the game if you hung onto the $275 and put it towards a rifle that works.

Of course I'm not really good at following my own advice.

Four-Eyed Buck

Going to 38-40 probably wouldn't be feasable because of the difference in the dia. of the case heads to start with. for parts,
Wisner's is a good place to check for old Marlin parts. They also repro some of them as well............Buck

www.wisnersinc.com/index.html
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Arcey

You can probably find a spring to replace the main at Lowe's or Home Depot...
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Four-Eyed Buck

Unless they're a flat one, Lowe's aain't gonna have it. The original 1894's had flat main springs...........Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Arcey

Defer ta ya on that, Buck.

Seems to me if it's threaded 'holes' that are buggered it could be expensive. If they'd still take up that's different. Should be able to find a spring.

Leave it in 32-20 'n make it a shooter. The weathered appearance is pure character.

Could be a fun project.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

If the barrel is too far gone to save, how about .38 Special with a barrel liner?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com