Author Topic: 100 Questions For Oldtimers  (Read 150834 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 100 Questions For Oldtimers
« Reply #560 on: September 07, 2008, 12:22:47 PM »
OT, That's bein' a determined fisherman.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #561 on: September 07, 2008, 12:51:38 PM »
On the surf rods, me ‘n a couple pards were hearin’ how much fun it was ta go to OBX ‘n fish the surf.

The beach was firm ‘nuff ta drive a 2x4 ta within’ a few yards of the tide line. Blues were chasin’ Trout almost up on the beach.

Without the details, it didn’t werk that way. On top of that sand got in everything. Seems the hard core surfin’ crowd were in it more for socializing than fishin’. Fergot ta tell a lot of days ya’d get skunked. We caught some small Blue that was it. After the second trip we quit. Ain’t used the rod since.

I’d really enjoy some crappie fishin’ again.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #562 on: September 07, 2008, 01:54:29 PM »
I've done any salt water fishin' especially in the surf. It looks like alot of fun.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #563 on: Today at 02:14:30 PM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #563 on: September 07, 2008, 02:17:28 PM »
We got fishermans paradise out here, specialy if ya like flies.  If'n ya don't we got plenty of browns and catfishies.  Got some poles out in the laundry room but haven't handled one in a while.  Gonna have ta go an see if I can still throw a decent cast.  If the fish don't bite I'll just shoot em.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #564 on: September 07, 2008, 03:45:49 PM »
I got to do some fly fishin' at Jackson Hole the first time we went up there. The Moose isn't into fishin', so I go out by myself.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #565 on: September 07, 2008, 05:37:13 PM »
First time I ever went to Jackson Hole, I was about 9 years old,  they had a big lake there at the lodge,  It was about 85 or so middle of the summer, went running out on the pier sticking out into the lake, jumped in,   did you know all that water comes from up on that mountain with all the snow,   :o :o   about 33 degrees.  went completely stiff there just fer a minute. ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #566 on: September 07, 2008, 06:31:58 PM »
My dad was an avid fisherman, flies, lures, live bait, funny little lights, casting, trolling, lakes, streams, stock ponds, and oceans.

A couple of years after he retired he finally bought a boat of his own: 21' aluminum with a bait tank, inboard-outboard motor, electric trolling motor, electronic fish finder, am/fm/multiplex radio, CB 2 way radio, little refrigerator, convertible top, spotlights, fancy trailer with a power winch...all the bells and whistles.  Even a chemical toilet. 

He got it all polished up and invited three of his best friends to go over to Bear Lake  near the Utah / Wyoming border with him.  Stocked it all up with food and drink and every imaginable amenity, then told them the rules.

"Eat, drink, sing, joke, tell lies, have fun, and understand this:  If any one of you pukes in the boat or brings a stinking fish aboard, I'll throw you over the side and drown you.  Got it?" 

That was only the first cruise.  After that they went fishin'!
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #567 on: September 07, 2008, 08:02:13 PM »
That's what you call, "Runnun' a Tight Ship".

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #568 on: September 07, 2008, 08:17:55 PM »
reminds me of my Uncle,  40, he had an old fishing boat for years, we just went fishing in that thing, catfishing with stink bait was one of his favorite ways to go.  he got a new 21 foot bass boat, looked like it belonged on the showroom floor, first few times we went fishing, we was real careful, not to get anything on it, rinse it off if we did.  then one day we were fishing over in Ft. Gibson lake, my Uncle was getting some of the stink bait on his bait on his hook, he spilled just a little and we got a little cup of water, he told us this was supposed to be a fishing boat, he rared back and let fly with the stick bait, went all over the boat, he broke it in that day and we went back to just fishing and not having to take care not to get anythng on the new boat.  ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #569 on: September 07, 2008, 08:43:58 PM »
Good Bay fishin’ boat had no carpet, little trim ‘n just two foam/plastic molded seats. Texture on the decks was molded in. Tie downs molded in for securin’ stuff. Welcraft V-20’s were the thing when I was out there.

The open fishermen of several manufacturers are the thing now. Center console. Really nice.

With either ya’d rinse ‘em down. Sprinkle on some Spic ‘n Span. Brush over it then rinse it in the bilge. Run the pump a few minutes ‘n it was done. No blood, scales, guts or bait scraps. 
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #570 on: September 07, 2008, 09:01:10 PM »
We always had aluminum boats when I was growin' up. We even sold boats, TEXAS MAID   for a while.  The last boat we had was a Lone Star.

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #571 on: September 08, 2008, 06:15:05 AM »
On the surf rods, me ‘n a couple pards were hearin’ how much fun it was ta go to OBX ‘n fish the surf.

The beach was firm ‘nuff ta drive a 2x4 ta within’ a few yards of the tide line. Blues were chasin’ Trout almost up on the beach.

My Dad used to rent a cottage on the OBX in the summer.  When the Blues were running they would run spot or other feeding fish right up on the beach.  If they were running heavy you just cast out into them and pulled em in, if you were running a surf rod with two or three hooks you could pull in multiple fish at one time.  One day we were out at just the right time, an hour of fishing left us with about 50 Blues and probably 70 Spot and Croaker.  Everyone around us ate good that day!
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #572 on: September 08, 2008, 06:21:24 AM »
We went down ta Buxton hopin’ for Trout the Blues hadn’t taken a bite outtah.

Same story both times. ‘Ya shouldah been here yesterday.’

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #573 on: September 08, 2008, 06:24:43 AM »

I don't know how many times I've heard that on "Rocks" Stripers
Mathew 5.9

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #574 on: September 08, 2008, 06:32:16 AM »
Yep, them too.....

Fished with a pal that had a 17’ Starcraft. He liked to go after Flounder o’er on the Eastern Shore, on the ocean side flats between the islands. Splittin’ all the gas ‘n the tunnel tolls ‘n the long ride he had a hard time findin’ folks to go with ‘im. ‘N the mosquitoes were military trained, flew ‘n attacked in formation. But Flounder is one of my favorite things so……….

Now that I’ve drifted off.

The boat was aluminum. Very light. I think he had a 40 on it ‘n the thing would move right smartly. The motor wouldn’t have done much on a ‘glass boat. Nice combo.

In the salt environment, over a couple, three seasons, the fasteners would start to corrode. The interiors had sharp-angled butt joints ‘n a lot of upholstery. Harder to clean at the end of the day.  Most folks in the market shy away from ‘em.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #575 on: September 08, 2008, 06:35:13 AM »

Heard that an awful lot when I usta duck hunt...  ::)
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #576 on: September 08, 2008, 07:36:56 AM »
I miss those times I spent with my Dad on fishing trips. He went out to Lake Mead and stayed a couple of weeks. He caught a 9 pound rainbow trout while we were out there. We always turned the boat over trying to land it. The dip wasn't big enough to get the fish into, but somehow we did get it in the boat. I never got to spend much time with him when I was young because he worked long hours. He got cancer and died at age 59. I still a lot of great memories.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #577 on: September 08, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
Remember my ole man pickin’ up live crabs. Tried it myself exactly once. Got pinched. Decided it wasn’t a skill I needed ta develop.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #578 on: September 08, 2008, 01:19:43 PM »
Remember the time my Grampa, who was a fishin nut, tried ta show me how ta hold a catfish.  He made it look easy.  It aint.  I got it down now but at 7 er 8 years old I guess I didn't pay close enough attention ta his instructions.  Ouch.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #579 on: September 08, 2008, 01:39:41 PM »
Remember the time my Grampa, who was a fishin nut, tried ta show me how ta hold a catfish.  He made it look easy.  It aint.  I got it down now but at 7 er 8 years old I guess I didn't pay close enough attention ta his instructions.  Ouch.

Leo

My Grandfather showed me how to fish for Bullheads with a power line (not the electric kind!!!!).  Large rock tied to a piece of elastic, followed by several baited hooks in a line, then a length of regular fish line.  After baiting the hooks you throw the rock as afar out as you can, put tension on the elastic and stick the line into a spring bell.  Once the fish get on the line the bell rings.  You then pull the line in, stretching the elastic,  Get the fish off, re-bait the hook and let the line go back out.  Repeat as often as desired.
He also showed me the proper way to grab without bard.  He had a way to clean them.  Slit the skin around the head.  Nail the head to the cleaning table. Peel the skin off with a pair of pliers.  Then clean normally.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com