Author Topic: NCOWS and SASS clubs??  (Read 10780 times)

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NCOWS and SASS clubs??
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 09:09:52 PM »
well im interested in ncows but been shooting sass as its here in my area & i am slowly trying to get more historly correct,
when i get to the point of correct enough to not be sent home ill show up to shoot but its a long way from springfield mo.
i had made plans to go to the last 2 kc events but the ice storm & $ expences not in my plan caused the wife & i to stay home
i think she was more disapointed than me as she had just finished sewing her pieorid correct dress.
mabe this dec we can make it to your feast

ps theres a lot of confussion for guest looking at ncows
i was introduced to frionteer spot for a while before finding this place , seems there was a lot of bickering in the past over there
that is a turn off

First Red welcome to our fire.  let me assure you that as long as you have made an effort no NCOWS posse will send you home.  In fact I doubt if they would point out things that may be wrong unless you ask. 

As for bickering, ell we do still have our share but we have a members only child board here where we can wash our dirty laundry without subjecting the public to it.  Even there we tend to respect each other's opinion and seldom does it get very bad.  Many of the people who caused problems at the old Frontier Spot no longer participate.

I look forward to meeting you some day.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 09:35:49 PM »
As usual, I can certainly second Will Ketchum's comments. He's a straight shooter and as good an ambassador as this organization has. As well as a fellow I'm proud to call a friend.

I might also add that there was a time, not too many years ago, when NCOWS itself (not just guests) had gotten a bit confused about who it was and what it stood for. It never lost its way, but had wandered off the path a bit. Thankfully, I'm happy to say, those issues and those times are pretty well behind us.

While we are a democratically operated organization and therefore will always have minor (but typically respectful) differences of opinion about some things, the NCOWS of today is, I firmly believe, a more cohesive, more unified and more focused group than it once was.

It's a great outfit with lots of great folks. We're glad to have you chatting with us Buffalow and I, too, look forward to meeting you somewhere down the trail.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
SHB, OCB: You folks sound like you got a good thing there.  I wish you continued success.  You're only about 6 hours down the road and I hope I get it together to visit & meet some weekend(s).

Red, you and I are similarly motivated.  ID & WK are excellent NCOWS ambassadors.  Heck, so's every other NCOW member whose postings I've been reading as I get up & running to be a new participant in this "sport." 

I'm convinced that when I'm able to visit a NCOWS match (and chip in with some of the grunt work!), I'll be made to feel welcome.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:34:32 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 12:16:46 PM »
SHB, OCB: You folks sound like you got a good thing there.  I wish you continued success.  You're only about 6 hours down the road and I hope I get it together to visit & meet some weekend(s).

Red, you and I are similarly motivated.  ID & WK are excellent NCOWS ambassadors.  Heck, so's every other NCOW member whose postings I've been reading as I get up & running to be a new participant in this "sport." 

I'm convinced that when I'm able to visit a NCOWS match (and chip in with some of the grunt work!), I'll be made to feel welcome.

BP

Howdy!

You can bet your retirement on it, Black Powder!

We'd love to have any and ALL of ya join us in the fun! 

Jeff
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Cole Bluesteele

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 03:47:09 PM »
As we are just starting a new NCOWS club in Texas, here's what we are doing.  We are an outgrowth of two SASS club(s) each with thier own range and facilities.  We will use the parent club(s) range and facilities.  Fees collected for meets/matches will go to the parent SASS club, range owner and the NCOWS club.  Insurance has yet to be determined, but probably the NCOWS membership fees will cover that. 

Cole

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 08:31:03 AM »
   You do know that if you have sufficient numbers and NCOWS membership, that the National organization will re-emburse your insurance!      jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Cole Bluesteele

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 10:27:39 AM »
Yep, I knew that.  It's one reason the insurance is still in the air.  I'm thinking we can meet the minimum right at the start.

Cole

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »

BP

Honestly, BP, based on the caliber of your contributions in CAS City alone I would ride the river with you any day. No need to wait for any special anointing that I can figure out. Just come on, then!  ;D

NCOWS is calling you. :D
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 08:26:25 PM »
Thank you, RCJ.  I'll make it there.

NCOWS is calling you. :D

I ain't deaf;D

BP

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 09:07:49 PM »
This may be a little old of a thread but I'd like to stir this pot up a bit, from a newcomer's perspective.
see, my pirate re-enactment group has two basic "factions" the hard-core perfect pirate that you'd never want to take home with you until they become civilian again, and then those that have fun with it, and think it's a fun Halloween party once a month!
I kind of feel that SASS vs NCOWS is similar to those two "factions" one likes to dress the part and fire the guns...
the other it seems likes to "live" the part, all of it.  The blackpowder, the colt peacemakers in .45 only and having 250 shot and having everything look perfect. 
Basically if a person came into the range at a SASS event they'd see people playing cowboy and having a blast with their period guns.
If a person came into the range at a NCOWS event, they'd feel like they stepped back in time.

now this is just my personal opinion, and I would like to be a member of both, with the same outfit, just that there is a SASS Posse 8 miles away from me (the range!) and I'm trying to find a NCOWS group somewhat close, maybe two hours away, max.
now for the SASS group, awesome I get to get away for a day and enjoy some comraderie with like-minded people for a day.
for the NCOWS group, same thing, except I actually get to experience what it was like back then, all the way down to the mannerisms and shot used. 

now again, this is just from a complete wanna-be noob and anthropology/history major! but that is my new-comer's perspective... and I'd like to join both.  After all, one primary reason I picked USFA for my peacemaker is because she's so accurate to the real deal, it's in .45 caliber and so will my Marlin rifle.  They are American made and as accurate as I can get to what they were like back then, right down to the markings. 

Did I choose those brands because of NCOWS? no.  I'd like to join NCOWS because I already wanted to be that accurate and it's a small under-the-radar group, like an underground awesome blues band.  I had no clue what NCOWS was until these forums, before that it was SASS only, but hey, thanks to CASCity, I'm here aren't I?
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 11:33:07 AM »
Willie;

You're not toooo far off.  Those serious step back in time fellows in NCOWS are having great fun.

Unless you want to carry/shoot an original 19th century double-action, any NCOWS legal outfit will work for SASS.

And we (NCOWS) also have some of those win at any cost competitors.

Bottom line the two groups have as much in common as the are different.
Kinda like spagetti & lasagna.  I like them both and they have similar ingrediants.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 11:57:51 AM »
Books, well said.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 12:49:13 PM »
Bro. Books is good at putting things in prospective.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 12:51:34 PM »
Bro. Books is good at putting things in prospective.

He deserves an extra helpin' of desert the next time our paths cross.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2008, 05:32:32 PM »
Indeed, Mr. Dixon, I think you've basically got it. 

I’ve been an Alamo freak and CW nut as long as I can remember.  It was Fess Parker and Uncle Walt that got me goin’ and I naturally wanted to learn more about both subjects.  I knew that as I got involved in this shooting activity, I’d want to learn more about “real” cowboys just like I’d done with Davy Crockett, Billy Yank or Johnny Reb. 

It sure was a relief when I found NCOWS so that I could use their collective knowledge and follow their rules to avoid buying something not historically correct.  In addition, NCOWS helped me focus on a specific time period which has added to my developing knowledge of 19th century American history.   

I probably have a better chance of replicating some long forgotten townsperson from the old West as I do duplicating a character from my favorite TV westerns.  So NCOWS has helped me avoid the harsh reality that I’m never gonna be another Matt Dillon!

The local club for me has some very good shooters, so it’s only natural for stages to be designed that are challenging to them.  At the same time, the members have built some terrific store fronts and it’s such a nice facility anyway, that I’m as excited as the next pard to go there once a month.  Everybody’s having a blast indeed.

Like an unknown local blues band, I kinda like well kept secrets.  I’ll join NCOWS because there’s the need for living history groups to stay afloat even though I’ll likely only be able to participate in a NCOWS event maybe only once a year due to distance.  That’s about as often as I could hope to go camping too.  The two are related…

8° here with a wind chill making it feel like -7°.  Only three more months to go.  Thanks for resurrecting this old thread!

BP

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 12:39:26 AM »
No problem BP! Glad I could!
I like that analogy: lasagna vs spagetti, so true, and so tasty!
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com