Modern Sunglasses and NCOWS

Started by Ottawa Creek Bill, July 09, 2008, 03:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawnee jim

First, I think we are talking about safety glasses not sunglasses.

There are alot of things that can be done to make the Originals to be more authenticate.

Some have already been mentioned.

With firearms, only use original calibers, Winchester did not make a lever gun in 45cal, 44 mag. ect.
Do away with Rugers -- they are not original or a clone.

The only reason NCOWS approved them was the fact that so many people had already bought Rugers ,  than there would have been a bigger uprising than when they did away with the Ruger Bisley.

James Hunt

MJB: Glad you are still alive! I tried calling your cell a couple of times but no luck. Anyway I like PHP's idea of putting some leather side guards on a pair of period frames. I have a pair of glasses with amber lenses that I believed are document to at least late 19th century shooters in the east, not sure of our time period. Anyway I have been struck several times on the lens, I consciously look forward when someone else is shooting, but there is no guarantee I will be paying attention. I should follow his example.

I also like your idea of shoving some pillow ticking or whatever material you are using into your ears instead of ear plugs, I know you say it works as well, you did say it works as well? Hey, Greg...., hey Greg I'm talking to you.....
Just kidding just kidding, I'm gonna give it a try.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Ottawa Creek Bill on July 10, 2008, 02:58:02 PM
Here ya go..................

I found the perfect pair of safety glasses that should satisfy all the variety of tastes in NCOWS, only cost a buck at the dollar tree store. ;D

Bill

Do they have them in florescent red??
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Delmonico

Doubt they have safety lenses for a buck. ::)

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Will Ketchum

Anytime there is shooting going on and you are any where near the firing line you should have safety glasses with side shields.  A couple of years ago we had a shooter who was probably 20 yards behind the firing line.  He had his back to the line and was talking to another shooter.  A piece of lead from, most lily 2 stages over came and hit his lens and bounced into his eye.  He nearly lost his sight and it was several months before they were sure he wouldn't.  Most of our local clubs have required side shields ever since.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Dr. Bob

I have original period glasses that I wear when I need to read.  I don't carry any other glasses with me when I leave the house.  Put my wrist watch in the valise when I got there.  Used the wrong cup because I left the big enamel one ta home. :-[ :'(  I WIL continue to wear my RayBan's when on the firing line.  They have true safety lenses.  I don't hear too well, since the Army & the log splitter, so I can't afford to loose any sight.  They cover the side well.  I have some period round glasses with screen sides, but the lenses are just glass.  NOT real protection.  I agree that we should look PC as much as possible, but proper coverage of my eyes is more important to ME.  The heavy safety glass lenses are incentive enough to get  me to take them off as soon as I leave the firing line!  
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Deadeye Don

Major,  It appears to me that the first pair has a snap on the nose piece.  Interesting though.  Those lens might be hard to see targets through especially if they were made for welding.

Major 2

Both pair are the same, one pair is missing the snap nose piece..which I'd remove anyway
then it would have just the solid bridge.

These styles were actually Motorcycle riding safety glasses back in the early days of riding ..there is another pair on pg 2 that so states.
I think, in the one's I linked to the discription states " he thinks they are welding glassses"
The green pair seem to light for welding.

here is a clear pair & there are pair of Colbalt Blue listed too...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Motorcycle-Safety-Glasses-Goggles-Leather-Sides_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50424QQihZ009QQitemZ190234519166QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

when planets align...do the deal !

Deadeye Don

Major.   I think this last pair you found would be fantastic for use in NCOWS assuming they meet modern requirements for eye protection.  That would be the only thing I would be concerned about.   What was considered safety glass back then might not pass muster today.

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: Major 2 on July 11, 2008, 07:02:49 AM
Both pair are the same, one pair is missing the snap nose piece..which I'd remove anyway
then it would have just the solid bridge.

These styles were actually Motorcycle riding safety glasses back in the early days of riding ..there is another pair on pg 2 that so states.
I think, in the one's I linked to the discription states " he thinks they are welding glassses"

Quotehere is a clear pair & there are pair of Colbalt Blue listed too...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Motorcycle-Safety-Glasses-Goggles-Leather-Sides_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50424QQihZ009QQitemZ190234519166QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Major.......Outstanding find... a little modification and they would look like the ones illustrated in the 1895 Sears catalog!!!

Deadeye Don.....If the glass in those old glasses aren't up to modern safety standards...it would be very easy for your optometrist to replace them with modern lenses that would be...thats a specialty of the doctor in Shelbyville. .

Bill

Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Smokey Three Toes

At most ranges I have shot at you are required to have safty glasses on and ear pulgs in at a certain point not just on the firing line. As far as period correct safety glasses I will wear my shooting glasses when beyond the point requried and I will remove them when I leave that area. If you want to take a Picture of me on the firing line you will have to live with it. Not everyone in NCOWS is shooting in the original class as it is....
Smokey Three Toes

FMDR
WOWS
NRA # 145012656
NCOWS # 2468  Working Cowboy
SASS # 67758 Senior Duelist

Dutch Limbach

An interesting observation.

I recently went through the John Grabill Collection of photos taken in the Dakota Territory during the 1880s. There are 190 images in the collection, and there isn't anyone in any of the pictures wearing glasses!

I'd imagine a lot of that is due to the fact that there was a significantly smaller percentage of people that had glasses at that time, and another factor would probably be that those that did would remove them when they were having their picture taken.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Major 2

Then there is this.... ;D
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/eyewear.php?from=leftnav

Thanks, Bill ...I try  ;D

Dutch said ".....due to the fact that there was a significantly smaller percentage of people that had glasses at that time, and another factor would probably be that those that did would remove them when they were having their picture taken.
I think that would be spot on !  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Ottawa Creek Bill

QuoteAt most ranges I have shot at you are required to have safty glasses on and ear pulgs in at a certain point not just on the firing line. As far as period correct safety glasses I will wear my shooting glasses when beyond the point requried and I will remove them when I leave that area. If you want to take a Picture of me on the firing line you will have to live with it. Not everyone in NCOWS is shooting in the original class as it is....

Smokey.......

I don't think anyone has told you, mandated or suggested that you do otherwise.....we're having a discussion to see IF there is a viable alternative to modern safety glasses that are safe and look a little more period correct then what most of us are using.

I'm not really sure what you mean by; If you want to take a Picture of me on the firing line you will have to live with it. Not everyone in NCOWS in the original class as it is.... Hmmmmm....I can assure you it is not about taking photos (I don't think I've ever approached you about taking your photo, now, have I?). Anyway.... its about completing a persona/impression and nothing else.

If the Originals Class and its standards are too high...don't sweat it...it may not be your cup of tea.

By the way, Viable in the context of this topic means; meeting & maintaining our safety standards (not diminishing them), while trying to appear period correct ...and not looking obnoxious doing so.

Please,....... before you comment on a topic take the time to read it thoroughly and try not to imply that there is more to it then what it is. If you will give me that courtesy.....I'll do the same for you.

Bill

SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Delmonico

Quote from: Major 2 on July 11, 2008, 07:02:49 AM
" he thinks they are welding glassses"

Note to Major 2,  Those are most likely welding goggles, plenty of tint for acetylene welding, that type also predates arc welding which requires a heavier tint.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico

Quote from: Dutch Limbach on July 11, 2008, 01:06:46 PM
An interesting observation.

I'd imagine a lot of that is due to the fact that there was a significantly smaller percentage of people that had glasses at that time, and another factor would probably be that those that did would remove them when they were having their picture taken.

TR removed his glasses for most if not all of his "cowboy pictures."
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Ottawa Creek Bill

Del......
The photo of you riding shotgun on the stage coach.....where was that taken?

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Delmonico

Quote from: Ottawa Creek Bill on July 11, 2008, 06:16:59 PM
Del......
The photo of you riding shotgun on the stage coach.....where was that taken?

Bill

Rock Creek Station the 8th of June, that is an original Concord out of the Marysville KS museum, they brought it up and a friend brought a pair of mules, they were giving rides and I took over for Kenny's grandaughter for a bit, that's her Dad with the reins.

The are hoping to have Kenny's team ready by next year so they can do a double team, the one's on it now are Bonnie and Clyde, I hope they can bring Bill and Hillary  also next year.

Never let friends take pictures for you, that danged thing is hard to get up on for half crippled up guy, yep Dave took lots of pictures of that also.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Tjackstephens

I'll have to say, IT'S ONE FINE PICTURE!!! TJ  ;)
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com