Modern Sunglasses and NCOWS

Started by Ottawa Creek Bill, July 09, 2008, 03:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch Limbach

OCB,

In White Buffalo Hickok wasn't wearing those glasses to protect his eyes from lead splatter. He was wearing them because he was eaten up with syphilis, which caused his eyes to be sensitive to light.

With all due respect to all concerned, lets hope and pray that no one loses all or part of their vision because they sacrificed proper eye protection to be more PC!
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Pitspitr

At the Cornhusker State Games shoot last Sunday, I caught splash twice on the corner of my wrap around safety/sun glasses. Both times it was on an area that would have been unprotected by my antique frames. In my opinion, this expireince confirms my choice of eyewear on or near the firing line for me.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Major 2

Some 50 years ago there was no hobby of Western Action Shooting, no SASS no NCOWS
If one shot old guns he shot the real thing. Old Colts etc. even then were getting valuable,
Bill Ruger, Val Forgett and later Bill Davis brought the replicas and over the years we evolved.
A demand was opened, when Bill Ruger built a company on the SSA.
Colt brought back the SAA they had discontinued; Val Forgett & Lou Imperato took an original 51 Navy
& a 58 Remy to Aldo Uberti...and the renaissance of replica arms was born.
A demand was born where there had been none. Oh there were a few reenactors but nothing like the
Reenacting, SASS , NCOWS ,W3G today....
My point is a demand was MADE...
Period Correct Clothes & footwear a market demand opened and maufacturers sprang up.
Just a few years ago if you shot a Spencer it was an original, Lamat nope
even the Henry's and various conversions....
Your going to see replica's of gun's that have not been made in a century or more...the 76 is back
I know the Merwin & Hubert is in the works...

So IF we create a demand , prehaps we can get period correct AND safe !

or am I just smokin' corn silk... ???

when planets align...do the deal !

Texas Lawdog

Well said Major 2!  "If you build it, They will come!"
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Ottawa Creek Bill

QuoteIn White Buffalo Hickok wasn't wearing those glasses to protect his eyes from lead splatter. He was wearing them because he was eaten up with syphilis, which caused his eyes to be sensitive to light.

Dutch....I've seen the movie half a dozen times or so, I know why he is wearing the glasses. So I'll try this one-more-time. If, you get a chance to watch this movie...there is a close up of Charles Bronson that gives an excellent view of his glasses. These glasses offer the same eye protection as the modern shooting/safety glasses in use...and......with the proper lenses....would make a good pair of period correct safety/shooting/sun, & all around glasses that would look good in a primitive camp setting, or, ........on the firing line. The eye frames (Specifically the part that holds the lens) is larger then some of the shooting or safety glasses I've seen being used.

In no way would I want someone to lose their eye sight as a result of a shooting accident, or for that matter any other reason. I'm only trying to find or suggest an alternative to modern glasses that would provide both safety and protection for our eyes and hopefully not look out of place for the time period we are portraying.

The set of glasses described above may not be right for all time periods or a particular impression, but they will look a lot better then a modern pair of safety glasses that look like they were designed by an alien from another planet.

OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

River City John

Just some random thoughts.
This whole subject actually speaks to the dual philosophy within NCOWS. I think it is time to embrace the idea suggested by OCB.
There will always be a portion of the NCOWS membership who want to strictly adhere to historical accuracy and for those major events such as the multiple day events or reenactments, perhaps it would be best to appoint a Sergeant-at-Arms resposible for ensuring that those designated areas away from the firing line are kept to NCOWS minimum standards for authenticity.

This is just reenforcing our guiding philosophy which allows that, on the firing line, it's safety first based on modern safety standards and equipment availability, while away from that gaming portion of our activities, we are essentially a reenacting society dedicated to honoring history through interpertation of that history as we best understand it.
It will reserve to the local clubs their autonomy regarding monthly matches, a 'shaking out' or trial and error venue, to help those newcomers to find the level of authenticity that suits their involvment in NCOWS,- yet at the same time does not exclude anybody. It only serves to encourage those who want to advance to a higher level of authenticity by participating in the larger 'regional' or 'national' events.
RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Tjackstephens

A Sergeant-at- Arms un and how would he carry out his duties? I wasn't going to get involved in this. I would like correct and safe eye wear. But we could go too far. TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Ottawa Creek Bill

Look......
We're  getting a little off topic.....if you'll re-read my original post it will make it much simpler when discussing this issue.

I'll make this challenge...to anyone interested....try to find a pair of period correct safety glasses readily available that will generally cover our time period.

By finding, I don't mean referencing them from a catalog.....most of us that have been in this game for any length of time have seen the Sears, Montgomery Ward and other 19th century catalog reproductions that show eyeglasses, thats all well and good.

But heres the challenge, go out and purchase a pair of period correct eyeglasses that would meet our (NCOWS) requirements, or modern glasses that can be modified to look PC.

Books Otoole stated the type of glasses used in the film 'White Buffalo" are called a Richardson Lens set-up, and were in use from 1840-1880.

I am going to see if I can find a pair of new manufactured safety glasses that I can modify to resemble those glasses, hopefully with the smoked lens. I think that is a good start.

If they turn out decent, I will post a photo of here.

OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Tjackstephens

If enough people want something, someone will make it. What we need are old west type glasses that are fully safe to shoot in and work the firing line. That look good and are safe. I don't know how many vender read this, but there is some one out there that can do this at a reasonable cost. If they wold run an ad in the SHOOTIST most NCOWS members would buy one or two pairs.
I hear what you all are saying and can see both sides. Was poking some fun at River City John, he's my good friend and I think the world of him. I would really like to have a correct and safe pair of shooting glasses. I have a pair from River Junction and used them for years. They were not quite safe enough however.
OCB, it would be good if your post could bring us a really good and reasonable pair of correct old west shooting glasses. Maybe even some with smoke shade. I salute you for your effort. TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Dusty Tagalon

My glasses I wear off the lne are period. If I could come up with a pair of the railroad goggles, & they could be fitted with modren safety lenses, I would do it. The period railroad goggles look like they could provide good protection. I have requested pricing on some Radilroad goggles, if the price is good enough I will go forward with the purchase, then take them to my Optometrist for evaluation.

Dusty

Rowdy Fulcher

Dusty
While at the Convention there was a pair of these RR goggles  .They had large lens and they gave side protection and I think this is what we are looking for  . We all know authenticity is very important But safety is #1 .OK who had the RR goggles at the Convention 

Major 2

Will Ketchum

I am bidding on item 1502.  If one of you are also we should decide who needs them and not bid against each other.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Rowdy Fulcher

Major
Thank you for the links . I have sent a E mail to get info about the 1880 safety glasses .  If these glasses turn out ok this could be the answer we are looking for . Thanks again Rowdy

Dr. Bob

I wonder if the railroad goggles will allow the replacement of the lenses?  I have no idea.  I will be interested in your report Dusty!  You might ask before you purchase.

In the eBay listings only the Antique Wilson Goggles have a period correct nose bridge.  I don't have a clue about when the cloth/elastic adjustable strap came into use.  The Wilson goggles have big enough lenses for frontal protection, but nothing on the side.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Dr. Bob

Howdy,

Here is a link to some smoke lens glasses with the correct bridge.  Large lens size.  No side protection.  If you were to add some of the modern side shields of clear plastic, and safety lenses, they would be effective eye protection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-SUNGLASSES-EYEGLASSES-w-SILVERTONE-WIRE-RIM_W0QQitemZ230249902218QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Dutch Limbach

One of the things I'd question on the RR goggles is how sturdy is that wire gauze around the lens?

They were made to keep cinders out of the eyes, but would they stand up to a hit from a lead slug?
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Dusty Tagalon

Plastic side sheilds won't stop a lead slug, they keep splatter out.

Dusty

Texas Lawdog

I have purchased two pair of the glasses from the Shadows of the West Auction.  I got one pair of the clear and one pair of the tinted. I 'll let you know what they look like when they arrive.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Major 2

So did I Lawdog ..I got the smoked
I think he has another pair ....

Will is this the ones your bidding on ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Antique-AO-Safety-Goggles-Glasses_W0QQitemZ150273634242QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was going to bid on them my ownself.. I'll leave it go  ;) good luck
and BTW the mesh is very fine about the size of a straight pin hole

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com